Starting my Whole 30 today, here goes nuthin'!

Momzilla

Hello Whole 30 World!

Well, I'm a 38 year old IT professional who is sick and tired of being sick and tired.  I have struggled with my weight off and on.  Not so much while I was in the Navy and had ample time and opportunity to work out regularly as well as being a devotee of Atkins (meat and vegetables and dairy, no processed treats since I lived overseas where they weren't available) and not eating wheat.  After the birth of my second child, I was never able to get rid of the last 10-15 lbs no matter how I dieted or worked out.  I was in excellent shape, but I couldn't stop conflating weight with health and just starved harder - to no good end.  I wasn't overweight or obese, but I sure was focused on the number on the scale and all I accomplished was wrecking my metabolism. 

Fast forward to civilian life, and I started gaining weight like crazy and feeling like crap while working a job that required a lot of time driving and a lot of meals eaten from a drive through.  I eventually got back down to the size I was after I had my second child when I went back to school, and even stayed there for a while eating in a manner that I didn't know was basically Paleo/Primal and staying fit with running/yoga.  After I graduated, I started working full time for a large firm that I had interned for and worked part time at during my last semester of school.  Being kind and keeping it short, my job was stressful.  I gained 60 lbs in a year, my CTS reached new heights, I developed IBS, my BP - always perfect before - was now at the 'warning' level, GERD,  my thyroid grew some really interesting cysts, my DLE flared back up, I started drinking far more than is healthy to come down from anger and stress, and my diet sucked.  After two years of that loveliness, I've moved to a different position and discovered the Paleo  approach - so similar to the low-carb diet that I had felt so awesome on years ago, but without the crazy carb counting and plethora of available processed foods.  It just makes sense - eat real food that makes me feel good.  I need to clean out my system and get rid of the last of my bad habits.

Unfortunately, I'm doing this without my family.  My husband and kids can't abide the thought of life without bread or wine (wine for hubs, not kids haha).  He's supportive, but not to the point of me cleaning out the fridge, freezer, and pantry.  I will only be cooking Whole 30 food, so all family meals will be compliant - but there will be plenty of temptation along the way.  We went Paleo a while back as a family (until life got challenging and I let it fall to the side), and even hubs felt better and enjoys the food.  He just really can't let go of his junk food. 

Anyway, I'm committed to this.  I'm excited.  I have a bunch of awesome food cooked for the week.  Time to kick some a$$ in the health arena.  :) 

I'm doing it without husband and kids, too! Like you, I'm cooking family meals, so they'll be compliant, but my kids get pbandj for lunch, and my husband eats (and drinks (right in front of my face)) whatever he wants. I didn't count on a loaf of sandwich bread being a temptation already on day two. I like your attitude though - we can do this, and it will be awesome!

Go us!  Team Awesome!  :D

Yep, hubs was drinking wine last night - even asked me if I wanted some.  tsk tsk, bad Hubs.  ;)  Then he felt bad after I reminded him that I had started my Whole 30, not that it made him put the wine glass away or anything.  LOL

On a really good note, I made Melissa Joulwan's Pad Thai from Well Fed - and it was a HUGE HIT!  So nom tastic - I just ate some of the leftovers for breakfast.  Hubs went back for seconds, and declared spaghetti squash a wholly acceptable substitute for noodles.

I should get that book (Well Fed). I've been mostly cooking from the meal ideas in the back of It Starts With Food, which are good but not terribly exciting (especially since I've been under seasoning them a bit). I think that I need to broaden my horizons!

I highly recommend Well Fed and Well Fed 2.  They're so good, I still find myself just sitting and reading them a year later.  She's funny and has so many tips and tricks, ways to modify the dishes easily (she calls it "You know how you could do that?") for instance, changing her coleslaw into Asian slaw (which so soooooo good).  Another thing I love about her books is that she gives pairing suggestions with the recipes.  That's how I discovered the highly addictive Asian slaw - it was suggested to go with her Slow Cooker Five Spice ribs (which are also amazing).  Even when we fell off the Paleo wagon (and became 'kinda Paleo-ish), we still used recipes from those books every week for meal planning.  If you're looking to broaden your spice horizons, these books will definitely help!

Another book that I like is Nom Nom Paleo, but not as much as  the WF books.  The NNP website has so many amazing recipes, that I usually just hit that up.  I love her Saag Gosht recipe, if you're into Indian food - give it a whirl.

Archived