AmyJ's Post W30 Log - January 7, 2015

AmyJanette

Today is Day 31!  It's been a bit of a bumpy month, but I made it through!

So, to recap my stats:

10.5 lbs lost

5 inches lost off my waist

Fasting Blood Glucose went from 8.6 to 5.7 

QUIT SMOKING for 30 DAYS! -Possibly the best result of all!

I will start my reintro with dairy.  It has been the hardest to give up of anything, even sugar, so I am interested in seeing whether it's as good as I remember.  When I had my food dreams, my first one was about drinking a big glass of milk.  I do have a psychological response to milk for sure...but if I can stick to a Whole30 through Christmas while quitting smoking at the same time, surely I will have enough self-control to limit my milk servings.  I may only drink it as a treat...I guess it'll depend on how my body reacts to it and whether I think it's worth drinking.

I will be back later to log how it went today!

Oh...WOW.

Dairy is an unequivocal NO WAY if what I am experiencing has resulted from consumption of two small pieces of cheese and about half a cup of milk.  Had a bit of cramping - like gas pains, then it went away, and then came the REALLY bad cramping and I had to run to the bathroom.  Watery diarrhea...you'd think I had the stomach flu!!!

Once this bout passes, I will try again to be sure, but my goodness, it is NOT NICE IN HERE!!! 

Thanks, Peppers. :)  I had the same thought - after I drank the milk, of course.  :lol:  So, I will let the current unpleasantness subside and try some hard cheese instead.  I wish the guidelines for the reintro were a little more detailed for each food group that was eliminated.  I'd like a bit less leeway to mess up my reintro...lol

So, after being kept awake half the night by really bad gas pain and flatulence, I have decided to try lactose free milk next...I think that will help me discover whether it is a lactose thing or not.  I am leaning towards that diagnosis, but I will be completely objective with it.

That said, my back pain has come back over night.  Can this be blamed on milk consumption???

Wow...that's harsh. Thanks for all your posts, I just couldn't keep up with them myself. I have stuck with program tho and o have 3 days left. I've been tempted to get a latte first but that's sugar and dairy and after hearing your reaction to dairy I'm a little scared. Hope your feeling better.

Thanks, TLaposi...I trailed off a bit at the end of my W30 with the posting, because at that point there wasn't really anything new to say.  I was sticking to the program, though, like you. Yay us! :D

So, I tried the lactose free milk, and NOTHING happened with my gut...so I am going to wait a bit and try again just to be sure - but bottom line is I am pretty sure I am lactose intolerant!!  If for no other reason, this epiphanous self-diagnosis is worth all the effort of the Whole30.  I also learned something pretty neat that I never knew before concerning lactose (I never had to worry about it before, so never knew that much about lactose, so forgive me if this is common knowledge)...So, apparently lactose is a sugar...any dairy with 0 sugar is lactose free.  Any sugar with 5 grams or less of sugar, is low-lactose and is tolerable by many people with lactose intolerance.  Hard cheeses are usually very low in lactose or lactose free because the bacteria eat it during the fermentation process.  I checked my marble cheddar and it has 0 sugar, so no lactose.  How cool is it that it's so easy to check dairy products for lactose???

Now, I accidentally reintroed corn last night...I was tired because from about the second week in I haven't been sleeping well...anyways, I went to make supper, and I had rearranged the freezer and put all the frozen veggies together.  I just grabbed the one on top - mixed veggies - and cooked it, and halfway through eating it, I actually looked at it...and it was mixed veggies WITH CORN!!! So, about four hours later, I popped up with hives and itchies all over...but it could have been the milk, it could have been something in the spice I used on the meat at supper, it could be completely unrelated.  So corn is now on my black list until everything else is tested...I was going to add it back after all the milk stuff was tested, but I think I am going to wait till the end of my testing just to be sure it's completely out of my system.

Something is bothering me about the reintro.  Since I have had hives, rashes, swelling, puffiness and itchies almost the whole way along with no rhyme or reason, how am I to know if it is food related or not when I reintro???  I guess there is no point in reintroing and relying on whether I get a skin reaction to evaluate what I am affected by...I'll just have to rely on whether I have other non-skin related issues like the whole digestive upset thing with milk.  It just bothers me that I will have no firm answers.

It's been a while since I posted in here...Life has gotten a bit busier these last couple weeks.

I went to see my doctor to tell him about what I've been doing.  He expressed concerns about the whole30/paleo style of eating...and I quote: "It's not sustainable in the long run" and "It's not a balanced diet" and "You need to add back in grains and dairy, especially if you want to get pregnant..."  So I smiled and nodded, and I'm starting another Whole30 in February and I'm considering going to a Naturopathic Doctor...I found one that's I really like the looks of her webpage (the first blog post was a recommendation for eating paleo), but she lives a couple hours away so I'm not sure how that would work out.  But she offers a free 15 minute phone consultation, so I may take her up on it.

Back to my doctor's visit...I got mixed results from bloodwork my family doc ran post-Whole30.

So, first off, my fasting blood sugar has actually gotten worse.  My A1C (the measure of three months of blood sugar) has only changed by 0.1%...So not too much impact on my glucose intolerance...yet...:P  So my doctor insisted I go back on Metformin (I ran out months ago and never had a chance/never really cared to go back to get another prescription).  So I am back on Metformin...I don't like it, but I also don't like the thought of getting my toes amputated if my prediabetes turns into diabetes and I get an infection I don't notice down the road.  I have not undergone this miraculous curing of insulin resistance on the Whole30 that others have.

Last time I got my cholesterol levels tested, they were high.  I got retested, everything has gone down to normal - triglycerides, total calculated, LDL (though it still needs some work) have all gone down, while my HDL has gone up (though it also needs some work as it is still a bit on the low side).  My doc ran a bunch of bloodwork, and everything but my blood glucose levels has improved to normal levels.  Some of the things may have been normal before, because I only have previous tests to go by and didn't get any bloodwork done in the last year, but I hadn't changed any of my habits until the Whole30 so I am guessing the numbers were still bad pre-Whole30.

So, there have definitely been improvements in the bloodwork, though not in the one big area I was trying to improve.  But I'm willing to keep trying to improve.

So yeah, my doctor gave me mixed messages.  When I went to see him (he hadn't gotten any of the bloodwork back yet) he was actually really condescending when I told him I had cut out grains and dairy... acted like I was a foolish fad dieter who was only in it for the quick benefit of weight loss and that as soon as the 'shiny' wore off I would be back to my old habits.  He got me so flustered that when I told him I was planning on keeping grains and dairy out of my diet and he asked me why, I couldn't come up with a reasonable answer...just told him that it was because I didn't want them in my diet.  Well, as you can imagine, I doubt that instilled much confidence in my choices...he went off about if I had an allergy to them he could understand, but since I didn't, there was no reason to take them out of my diet.

So he gave me a hard time about cutting so much out of my diet, and said that I couldn't sustain it, that the way I was eating wasn't balanced and that i wouldn't be able to get the nutrients I needed from the foods I was eating.  I bit my tongue because he was obviously on his soapbox, and wouldn't hear what I had to say.  How do I explain to someone who has been schooled in propaganda for years that I just feel better eating the way I have been eating???

Than he said that vegetarians could sustain their lifestyle, but that I wouldn't be able to sustain the Whole30 style of eating.  Thanks for the vote of confidence, doc!  By this point I just wanted out of there.  I think he ordered the bloodwork just so he could rub bad results in my face...but instead, everything but my blood sugar had improved.  So I haven't been to see him since then, but I went in to the office to get my results so I could compare them to my prior results, and his nurse came out and told me that he wanted me back on the Metformin.  So at this point, the tests don't lie - I need the Metformin.  But, at least I don't have to fight him on putting me on cholesterol medication now.

So I said he was giving me mixed messages...So after his half rant about cutting so much out, as he was leaving the room, he told me to keep up the good work and the healthy choices...Say WHAT???  I'm just confused as to whether he's on board or not, whether he's going to be supportive or not...but I have decided that it is my choice to make, and if he doesn't like it, then that's just too bad because it's my body, not his.  And I feel better than I have in years, and I can guarantee that the Whole30 style of eating, and paleo style of eating, is far healthier than the style of eating I was doing before - eating out all the time and eating lots of junk all the time.  I will get more of the nutrients I need eating this way than the way I was before.  

Also, this lowering of my cholesterol came with eating at least three eggs a day and eating meat at 2-3 meals a day.  So, if it will lower my cholesterol, unless you are an over-producer of cholesterol, dietary cholesterol from eggs and meat shouldn't be raising your cholesterol levels.

I have also started a February Whole30 support group for friends who saw the positive results and want to try it out or follow along to see what it's about in February.  Hopefully I can help others achieve a healthier lifestyle through my experiences! :)

This was something I'd wondered since I read online a dr. who was quoted saying most folks who go on a paleo diet have their cholesterol go up... I wondered if this doc actually has many pts who go paleo and has actual numbers to compare. so it's nice to hear someone had it go down.

best of luck to you on continuing to work on the insulin. That's one thing w30 just sounded like it would be so good at as I read everything... so good for you giving it some more time. and on the dr. issue... yeah it's hard to have someone question you but of course the guy has been trained in years of medical knowledge that say grains are important. I guess if you don't change dr.s your improving health will hopefully speak for itself moving forward as it already has started to. keep up the good work! (I'm about halfway my first w30 and still on the fence about long-term goals with it. I just wanted to knock out the sugar dragon at least for a while)

Archived