M&J's first Whole 30

goldenangel23

Today is day 4 of my first Whole 30.  My boyfriend and I are doing this together, because we felt so rundown and just icky after the holidays.  After reading the book and doing some prep work, we started on Sunday.  I feel great so far, and haven't been tempted to stray from the plan.

We've had awesome meals so far, not much out of the norm from what we would have on a regular day.  Luckily J loves cooking and made tons of our food from scratch before we began, so there's less of a feeling of 'lost time' with all the food prep. 

Today in the afternoon I got a little restless and needed... something.  I had a larabar, and I think I'm going to try to avoid them except in emergency situations going forward.  It was a bit much for me overall.  Now I'm having tea and warming up while it snows.

Morning of Day 6, still going well.  Went grocery shopping again last night, and found tons of compliant bacon at ShopRite.  It was really exciting.  We're still feeling good, no 'Kill all the things' days so far.  I actually find that I'm in a much better mood, and less angry.  It's weird.  I think my co-workers are a little scared.  :)

This morning's breakfast is leftover smoked salmon frittata with kale and leeks.  Tonight will be our first meal not cooking for ourselves.  We'll have dinner at J's parents house.  His mom is a little nervous to make a compliant dinner, but he said she's planning on roasted chicken, baked sweet potatoes and a veggie, so it sounds great.

The weekend was a test, but I am super proud of myself.  I went to a Mexican restaurant with friends on Saturday night, and was able to resist chips, cheese and margaritas.  I had a great fajita salad, and didn't feel like an outcast for not indulging.  We're getting snow today, so we went to BJ's last night to stock up on some fresh veggies and fruit. 

Yummy frittata for breakfast, really looking forward to tacos with a lettuce wrap for lunch.  Day 9, still going strong!

Day 12, still good.  J really wants waffles and cake, but I'm feeling good.  I'm not jealous of lunch that other people have.  I think I'm happiest because we're switching up breakfasts a bit.  We had roasted veggies and bacon the other day, which was by far my favorite breakfast.  Today is mango guacamole with veggie to dip and chicken sausage.  I'm just so sick of eggs!

I had a bad day and a half where my headache just wouldn't go away, but that's finally gone.  I'm feeling really good today, and proud of my choices.  I can totally do this!

Things are still going well.  We were able to resist cupcakes for my sister's birthday on Sunday.  On our way home, we went shopping and everything I bought was a medium instead of a large!  I'm thrilled with how much energy I have.  And we aren't hungry between meals.  At lunch, people are jealous of what I'm eating, which I find very amusing. 

The strange thing is,  this doesn't feel strange anymore.  I don't feel like I'm being deprived of anything, or that I'm missing out.  I think we've been so well prepared and eaten such good meals so far, that it just feels like we're eating 'normally'. 

I have had some stomach issues the past few days, which isn't great.  I think it's due either to green peppers or brussel sprouts.  I'll keep an eye on it.

We've had some weekend activities and have tried eating on the go a few times.  It hasn't been great.  One day we ended up at Ikea and had a cold kids meal with chicken, carrots and orange and a rotisserie chicken with double vegetables on the side.  The rotisserie chicken was good, the rest was not.  We almost got some gravlax, but luckily J thought there might be sugar so we avoided it.  Turned out there was.

Last night and today we've eaten at Wegman's.  We ended up just getting salads, because everything else was full of non-compliant ingredients.  I expected more from Wegman's.  All of their rotisserie chickens (and turkey) are brined with honey.  But... only 5 days to go!

It's day 29!!  I thought Valentine's Day would be a little disappointing, but boy was it fantastic.  We had seared tuna with avocado and crispy shallots, roasted caulifower, and purple sweet potato chips.  For dessert, J made coconut milk whipped cream with vanilla bean, sliced bananas and cinnamon.  It was like a whole 30 banana cream pie.  And to top it all off, we had some sparking apple cider. 

I really do feel great after all of this.  29 days without sugar and I don't miss it at all.  Amazing!!

We made it!!  Today is day 31!  I can't believe how quickly the 30 days went.  I don't feel like I was deprived of anything during my 30 days and don't plan on eating much off plan going forward.  I'll slowly reintroduce some things, to see how they impact me and to try and make eating out a little easier.  J is making a cake today, because he missed that most.  I'll have a few bites, I'm sure, but I'm not craving sugar and sweets like I usually do. 

After weigh-in this morning, I lost 5.5 pounds and J lost 9.  We're both happy with the results, although he's a little skeptical, saying he's lost those pounds before.  Now, off to have veggies and eggs for breakfast!

Archived