Starting 1/26! Tomorrow!

shparkle

Hi, my name is Nikki. I'm 21 and am pretty interested in the Whole30. I've seen nothing but good results come out of it, and I want to see what I feel like and look like with this lifestyle change. I already have a fairly healthy diet. I eat little to no grains, usually only once a day if that. And it's always whole grains and healthy stuff. But I'm ready to see what it's like with none. I also do eat dairy, usually just greek yogurt and cheese.

I wanted to start the Whole30 2015 on January 12th with everyone, but school had just resumed for me and it got too hectic to plan, so instead I just slowly read It Starts With Food and slowly eliminated dairy from my diet. It was surprisingly easy for me! I did eat dairy once every day or so, because it's so hard to avoid when buying food at school.

Anyway... I'm starting tomorrow! I don't expect extreme difficulties, but who knows! I really hope my acne clears up. Also, I've always been on the verge of having disordered eating, so I'm afraid that having such strict rules will cause a lot of anxiety for me. But it also might be freeing. We'll see.

Any other 20-somethings out there doing the Whole30? 

Hey Nikki!

I actually started today but since we're so close in starting, I figured I'd say hey. I'm so excited for both of us. I can relate to a lot of your issues. It sounds like we eat very similar and I've also had some issues/anxiety with weighing myself and having "off limits" foods. I'm kind of excited to ditch the scale for a bit. :) GOOD LUCK!

Hey Nikki,

Welcome aboard and good luck on your journey! We will all be on the same path about the same time and can use this to help us stay motivated and on track. Good luck on your kickoff tomorrow. I would really encourage you to write your goals down and keep referring to them to help you stay motivated. Remember that Whole30 is more about the food you put in and less about the rules that are out there. Stay focused on being able to eat your fill of good foods and don't bog down too much the restrictions!

Best of luck on your journey

Rob

Hi Niki, I'm starting today too. (still clinging to 20-something at 29!).  I'm really excited about all the quality foods I'll be eating instead of the unhealthy foods from days past.  Hopefully after a few days your anxiety melts away as you enjoy new foods too!

Best of luck.  Let's check in together to see how we are doing.

me too...started today (Jan 26). my husband is doing it with me, so I'm hoping this won't be as painful as other diets I've tried alone. Our biggest problem is that neither one of us really likes/wants breakfast. I've read all I can about the diet and I got the sense that you HAVE to eat 3 meals a day, so we "forced" ourselves to have 2 scrambled eggs each. I had some veggies (Steamfresh mix) and he had salsa on his eggs. For lunch we had deli ham (very lean!) rolled in butter lettuce with French's mustard...delicious! For dinner, I made meatball soup (with my own beef bones stock). It looks good and the one taste I had was good;but it's BEGGING for some tortellini or small pasta! hahahaha! Of course, I won't; but being Italian, the no carb thing will be the hardest for me. Here's to all of us! Cheers!

Hello all! 

This will be my 4th... 5th? whole 30. I can't remember. I've been paleo/whole 30 for 1.5 years. I lost 80lbs from July 2013-July 2014 and then maintained through December. Then I got pregnant, nauseous, a bad cold(which is now rearing it's ugly head again and hasn't gone away completely for the last month) and completely went off the rails for the first time in 1.5 years.  More than just a meal or two or a weekend. We're talking a month and a half!  I can't believe how horrible I feel and how quickly I got addicted to sugar and bread again. I plan to stay as paleo/W9 as possible throughout the rest of the pregnancy.  it really is the only way I feel in control.  Looking forward to joining you all and sharing progress, problems and successes!

ps. 30 something. Am I still allowed? :P  ;)  :wub:

Haha of course it doesn't have to be only 20 somethings saying hi! I was just curious if anyone as young as me was doing the Whole30 :P

I've done a whole day's worth of eating now, feelin' good! I'm about to head over to the daily updates area and post my meals and such. 

Hello all! 

This will be my 4th... 5th? whole 30. I can't remember. I've been paleo/whole 30 for 1.5 years. I lost 80lbs from July 2013-July 2014 and then maintained through December. Then I got pregnant, nauseous, a bad cold(which is now rearing it's ugly head again and hasn't gone away completely for the last month) and completely went off the rails for the first time in 1.5 years.  More than just a meal or two or a weekend. We're talking a month and a half!  I can't believe how horrible I feel and how quickly I got addicted to sugar and bread again. I plan to stay as paleo/W9 as possible throughout the rest of the pregnancy.  it really is the only way I feel in control.  Looking forward to joining you all and sharing progress, problems and successes!

ps. 30 something. Am I still allowed? :P  ;)  :wub:

lol! if you have to be 20 or 30 to start the Whole 30, I'm OOL!! I don't think age is a factor here...we all want to look our best...no matter what age we are...GREAT that you are ON BOARD again...keep up the good work and I'll be praying for your safe and happy pregnancy...

with Day 1 down, I'm rarin' to go! We have a big calendar in our laundry room and last night we drew a big RED "X" across the date...we are counting down! Actually, it was quite benign, as diets go...we really enjoyed that Meatball Soup last night! We reserved our handful of nuts (at each meal) for 3 small handfuls while watching TV (I mixed a tub of Costco unsalted mixed nuts with a package of coconut flakes...not the kind you bake with, but the kind at the bulk food place). It worked out great for us, since that is our gotta-have-something-crunchy-while-watching-TV thing. Keeping the same breakfast today...scrambled eggs and Steamfresh mixed veggies; lunch will be leftover meatball soup and dinner is King Crab Legs with ghee (to drizzle) and veggies. Keeping it S-I-M-P-L-E...not falling into that trap to try to re-create that great casserole! lol! For 30 days, I can repeat simple food and get 'er done. What have YOU been eating?

I also started yesterday! Day 2 is going well! I am trying to stay positive about all the planning and mindset shift this takes, the prep, thinking ahead etc.... This weekend will be good to really do a lot of food prep and get a good start on my second week.

Last night I made a taco salad with wholly guac and salsa

And breakfast today was 2 eggs,  sweet potatoe hash and sausage.

Lunch today is taco salad leftovers

and I have a pot roast in the crockpot at home waiting for me to get home! :)

Meatball soup sounds good @msbiz. I will have to look that up!

Haha of course it doesn't have to be only 20 somethings saying hi! I was just curious if anyone as young as me was doing the Whole30 :P

I've done a whole day's worth of eating now, feelin' good! I'm about to head over to the daily updates area and post my meals and such. 

Feel free to post your meals in this thread! We can all stay in this thread for support and guidance. The moderators check here as well.

I for one, cannot believe how much clearer I am mentally and how much less cranky I am, with just 1 day off of sugar.  It's really the devil.  It's poison.  I have to remember that!!!!  I know I'm in the happy, what's the big deal phase, but yesterday I really wanted to kill all the things and felt sick from sugar withdrawal. It's nice to feel better today.

Meal one- my go to for the past 1.5 years- 3 fried eggs, sautéed spinach and a microwaved sweet potato with some chia sprinkled on top. All cooked with Coconut oil and salt. 

Meal two- steak, white potato with ghee, cabbage sautéed in coconut oil, and mushrooms and onions sautéed in olive oil. YUM!!! 

Nice to have a "snow" day even though it was a bust and we only got 1 inch in Philly, still had off work as a teacher! :-)  Glad that I can rice some cauliflower for easy to grab side, and make my fave 5 ingredient spaghetti pizza casserole from paleomg. 

How is everyone else doing on day 2?

Day 2 is goin' strong for me! Day 1 was great, only problem for me was finishing half a bag of TJ's unsweetened dried mangos. That stuff is like candy for me. Today I'm doing better at not going over 3 servings of fruit. I'm about to throw some cinnamon chicken in the crockpot so I can come back from my midterm to a hot dinner (PS, I am SO done studying for that midterm. Psychobiology is not my forté.) 

I woke up really early today, partially because my roomies were being loud, and maybe partially because my hormones are getting back on track? I hope? So I rolled with it and made a huge breakfast of eggs, veggies and guac that kept me full for hours. 

I was getting hungry in lecture so I ate the prosciutto and banana that I brought along. I need to get some coconut chips because I had no fat with that snack. Olives are not my favorite thing, and avocados are not portable. And on top of that I'm allergic to nuts haha. Anyone have any suggestions for nut-free fat snacks besides coconuts/olives/avocados? I'm pretty sure those are the only options. (And I don't like seeds because they're very similar to nuts, which I am repulsed by). 

About to make a late lunch by warming up some carnitas I made in the slow cooker. I have a mini one, meant for one or two peoples' servings. Not sure how I would manage without it. I highly suggest getting one if you don't have one already!

Everyone's doing well, that's awesome :) Let's keep it up!

Archived