Breastfeeding a baby with intolerances

Hi everyone. My son is almost 4 months (and was 6 weeks premature). I'm on day 24 of my whole30. A few months ago my son started having mucusy diapers and then specks of blood. So I went dairy and soy free to see if it would help. Shortly after that I started my whole30. He was doing better and then today I saw more blood again. Anyway I've been advised to do a top 8 free diet. This means no dairy soy wheat eggs nuts peanuts fish or shellfish. Since I'm on whole30 I'm obviously grain sugar legume free as well. Will I be able to keep up the whole 30 with dropping even more foods? I eat eggs everyday and nuts. I guess I just need some encouragement that it's possible to do whole 30 without eggs and nuts and fish. I'm feeling a bit depressed about it. I'm always hungry due to bfing and eggs and nut butters have been one way to get calories in quick without a lot of prep work. I also have a 2 yr old so it's hard to find time. I only have a few days left so I'm sure I'll finish. But any advice? Thanks!

Hi everyone. My son is almost 4 months (and was 6 weeks premature). I'm on day 24 of my whole30. A few months ago my son started having mucusy diapers and then specks of blood. So I went dairy and soy free to see if it would help. Shortly after that I started my whole30. He was doing better and then today I saw more blood again. Anyway I've been advised to do a top 8 free diet. This means no dairy soy wheat eggs nuts peanuts fish or shellfish. Since I'm on whole30 I'm obviously grain sugar legume free as well. Will I be able to keep up the whole 30 with dropping even more foods? I eat eggs everyday and nuts. I guess I just need some encouragement that it's possible to do whole 30 without eggs and nuts and fish. I'm feeling a bit depressed about it. I'm always hungry due to bfing and eggs and nut butters have been one way to get calories in quick without a lot of prep work. I also have a 2 yr old so it's hard to find time. I only have a few days left so I'm sure I'll finish. But any advice? Thanks!

You can do Whole30 without eggs, nuts, and fish. I understand your dilemma regarding time, but you can do it. Leftovers for breakfast, for instance. And eat four full meals per day, perhaps sipping on a can of coconut milk for extra fat during the day (if you like the taste that is). You might have to revise your eating plan a bit, but you can do it.

If you'd like some specific tips, you could post a sample of a couple of days' worth of meals here, and we can help you tweak your preparations so that you get adequate nutrition with very limited prep time, and without these foods.

All the best to you and your little one.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to share my experience with you. I am doing my first whole30 and my son is 5 mos old EBF. I started 3/2/15. I thought he had dairy intolerance or something causing mild eczema. When I gave up the dairy I added in a LOT more coconut oil. His rash began to get worse. The first few days I thought would be normal but it just kept getting worse to the point where he had infection behind his knees. I had to take him to the doctor and put him on an oral antibiotic. They also perscribed steroid cream but I did not use it. The infection cleared but the rash was getting worse. After almost two weeks I realized that my DRASTIC increase in coconut oil was causing the rash. I believe it has to do with the coconut oil's antifungal properties being transmitted through the breastmilk and causing a die off in him. I was also treating his dry skin with the oil. I stopped the coconut oil on Saturday. Today, Monday he is getting much better. His skin is flaking off where the redness and rash were. He has also started moving his stool much more easily, so I do think I was right on the dairy intolerance it can take up to a month to rid it from your system. I am just stating this because I don't want the same pain and heart ache for someone else trying to do the best for their baby. He is my third baby and first to be on antibiotics. Hopefully the whole30 protocol will help me improve his gut health after having to be on antibiotics and I do plan to slowly introduce him to coconut oil to be sure once he is completely cleared up.

Archived