Day 1 = March 21

mellalee

Hi Everyone!   I've read the book and will be starting my Whole30 today. The change of season from winter to spring felt like the perfect time to start!  I'm looking forward to having a better relationship with food and better health over all.  Specifically, I have eczema and this winter has been particularly tough for my skin... I can't wait to see how these next 30 days will effect my skin for the better.  I love cooking and am looking forward to trying some new whole30 recipes. I am also starting the book "Cooked" by Michael Pollan today... which I think will help me keep me in the right frame of mind while starting the program. 

Looking forward to connecting with some of you over these 30 days!

Go Mellalee! I am starting another Whole 30 after being on for about a year then falling completely off. I would love to travel along with you. I need some motivation with some 'disordered' eating habits I have. I love the amazing feeling of eating so clean - I can't wait to get back into it.

Hey girls! I'm Erin.  It's my first whole 30 adventure. I started Thurs (March 19). I am pretty surprised how easy it's been to adjust so far. Bad headache on Saturday but feeling good now. I am really excited about this. Although I am worried because I think I will get sick of all the prep work when my kids soccer seasons starts back up today. Was easier with no practies and games to run to. I'll have one day off a week from that. I'd love to keep in touch. I am scared of falling off when I get really busy. How'd your weekends go? I got a Costco membership Sunday and got their marinara and a few other things. I love zoodles and sauce. Shocking how many things have sugar. I wasn't conscience of that before this program for sure.  I think I'm going to struggle with breakfast. I really hate eggs. Been eating them but couldnt bring myself to do that today. I'm going to attempt to make my own turkey sausage. I bought the book and started reading that too.

Hi Marieke and Erin!   Happy to meet some new people through this fourm. :)

Wow Marieke, you were eating whole30 style for a year?  I am impressed.  I keep thinking about what I'll do after these 30 days.  I didn't read the reintroduction section of the book yet because I didn't want to get to ahead of myself.  Did you find that you added back certain foods but not others, or did you adhere pretty closely to the plan for the year?

Erin - the food prep can be a bit time consuming, I totally agree.  I really need to try to do more stuff in advance, on Sunday nights, to prepare for the week.  Like roasting veggies.  One of the things they mention in the book is rethinking breakfast/lunch/dinner as just meal 1/ meal 2/meal 3... and then eating whatever you'd like, be it traditional to that meal time or not.  For instance, sometimes I eat salads for breakfast.  I love eggs and tend to cook a sunny-side up egg to pt over my salad... but you could eat literally ANYTHING for meal 1. :-)

With week one complete, here are my thoughts thus far:

• My mood is noticeably more stable.... I had this same side effect when i completed the 8 week "I Quit Sugar" plan. 
  • Haven't noticed much improvement with my eczema yet
  • I love trying out all these new recipes I'm finding! Meal planning on Saturday mornings is fun!
  • On a couple of nights this week, after stressful days, I felt compelled to eat for comfort.  This would usually drive me to buying cookies on the way home from work. I gave in to the compulsion to eat, but instead ate an apple with almond butter.  One small step in the right direction...
  • I spent much more on groceries this week, but I think I will spend less this week as I won't be buying another bag of hazelnuts and have a bunch of veggies left over from the last shopping trip.

Anyone have any creative ideas for compliant snacks to take into the movies with you?  Nuts and fruits and such are obvious choices... but if you've got a more fun creative idea, I'd love to know!

I posted me question about movie theater snacks in another thread and got some great food for thought regarding the mindlessness of snacking while watching a movie...   I honestly haven't given this a lot of thought, but will now.   During this first week I have discovered that I'm inclined to snack less, and the meals that I am eating do keep me satiated for the 4-5 hours between meal.

Archived