April 20- Husband and me, kids partially

JillP

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Jill, this is my first day. What did you mean that the hardest part has been trying to eat 1 hour after? I do not like to eat first thing in the morning. Is it part of the program to eat within an hour of getting up? I remember reading something about that but it seemed optional.

~M~

Hey M,

Not being hungry in the morning is a high sign that your hormones are out of balance.  The recommendation to eat within an hour of waking is a tough one for a lot of people but that balancing of hormones now is what helps to bring the magic further on in the program.  We know that a lot of people are out of the habit of eating within an hour of waking, sometimes for years.  We strongly recommend that you start working towards it.  Make a template meal (template linked in my signature below) and eat as much as you can within an hour of waking.  Pack the rest up to take with you and eat from it again as soon as you feel you can.  Even if you only get a couple bites the first few days, your body will start to catch on and soon you'll be properly eating breakfast.

I can't find all the instances now, but we've had many non-breakfast eaters come to us, get the same recommendations I just gave you above, work on it and come back and tell us how much better they are feeling.  

But, as Shannon says above, it is only a recommendation.

Piper, I like to run too. I just picked it up again (I think I've been out once, ha!) since having my 2nd kid. I also like to lift weights and I've been using the program in the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." I've had good luck with it in the past, and I used it thru both pregnancies. The workouts are reasonably short too.

• Administrators

So...I read a lot of forums and was wondering what reaching ketosis really is and the why of it? I will by the way never do it from what little I understand.

From the internet - Ketosis is a metabolic process that occurs when the body does not have enough glucose for energy. Stored fats are broken down, resulting in a build-up of acids called ketones within the body. Some people encourage ketosis by following a diet called the ketogenic or low-carb diet.

From me: it is not generally necessary for weight loss and can actually be detrimental for some people, especially women. Not to say that there aren't women that do fine on it, there are and on this forum, too. But in general the more common experience is that without any carbohydrates at all, many women feel blue, down, sad, angry, headachy, lethargic, depressed etc. Carbohydrates are directly linked to the serotonin in your brain and as we know, serotonin is the feel-good hormone. Because we recommend at least one serving per day of starchy veggie and allow 1-2 pieces of fruit per day, the average Whole30er would not enter ketosis. Sticking only to protein, high fat and extremely low carb veggies (all green, all the time, basically) would bring you there.....but beware the side effects or at least be aware of how it can go sideways.

Also, my personal experience, when a person is in ketosis for a long time and then decides that they need carbs back in their life so that they can 1) want to have sex again and 2) not get divorced because of their anxiety/shitty attitude etc, there is a period of weight gain that comes almost immediately. ;)

Lmao. Well I kinda wondered abt the weight coming back. I can guarantee I would be in a bad mood. It's just when I would look it up it was more like a sales pitch so I didn't feel I was getting the real story!

Glad to hear it was good - I have a butternut squash on my counter and was going to make that tomorrow! I made the Roasted beet, orange, and Avocado Salad from the Whole30 book as well as the Halibut with Citrus-Ginger Glaze. My kids ate three helpings of the fish (it might have helped that I put the glaze in a syrup pitcher so they could pour on what they wanted) so I call that a success. The beet salad was good but only my 1 year old likes beets so the rest just picked out an orange slice and said "we tried it". I had it for breakfast then this morning.

Made the butternut squash soup in the Whole30 book. Added a chicken thigh to the portion I had and put the rest in the fridge. Quite tasty and surprisingly filling. May add some toasted coconut on top next time.

Is anyone else's husband still doing the Whole30? Mine told me yesterday that lunch has been difficult and sometimes he might eat some soy, but it is only a little bit so probably ok. I want to say "NOOOOO!" but decided I'm just going to let him do his version and I'll do mine. This is his second time through (although I question now how authentic the first one was) and he was the one who said we should do it again as his pants were starting to feel tight. So I should just take a deep breath and let it go. Right? Right.

Is anyone else's husband still doing the Whole30? Mine told me yesterday that lunch has been difficult and sometimes he might eat some soy, but it is only a little bit so probably ok. I want to say "NOOOOO!" but decided I'm just going to let him do his version and I'll do mine. This is his second time through (although I question now how authentic the first one was) and he was the one who said we should do it again as his pants were starting to feel tight. So I should just take a deep breath and let it go. Right? Right.

ahhh, jen! i feel your pain :). my husband is still on board (this is both of our first whole30) and it is really helping. he had a couple of minor infractions last week, mostly because he hasn't internalized the rules to the extent i have (he hasn't done any of the reading, so he relies on me to tell him what's ok and not). but, he's missing "the point" in a few areas, so i have to do my own share of deep breathing. truthfully, i didn't think he'd make it this long, so i'm starting to get optimistic about him making it all the way through...and then i try to reel it in and just focus on my own stuff. such a hard thing for me...

Piper, I like to run too. I just picked it up again (I think I've been out once, ha!) since having my 2nd kid. I also like to lift weights and I've been using the program in the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." I've had good luck with it in the past, and I used it thru both pregnancies. The workouts are reasonably short too.

rissee - weights! does that book make you like lifting? ;) i have such a hard time with it, but i went back to the gym this morning and did three sets of several different exercise (bench, lat pull-downs, etc etc etc). i banged out the full workout in 25 minutes - does that seem reasonable? 

so impressed by people who workout while pregnant. i did yoga and walked through both (a small amount of swimming for my second, too), but nothing too major. perhaps this is why i am still hanging out with an extra 30 lbs when my youngest is 2.5, eh? 

Glad to hear it was good - I have a butternut squash on my counter and was going to make that tomorrow! I made the Roasted beet, orange, and Avocado Salad from the Whole30 book as well as the Halibut with Citrus-Ginger Glaze. My kids ate three helpings of the fish (it might have helped that I put the glaze in a syrup pitcher so they could pour on what they wanted) so I call that a success. The beet salad was good but only my 1 year old likes beets so the rest just picked out an orange slice and said "we tried it". I had it for breakfast then this morning.

I think next time I make it, I'll add some curry powder. The toasted coconut on top was quite tasty for lunch. . . .

I used to be a runner, too. I want to get into trail running this year. We have a trail running series here I'd like to do as many of the races as I can. Most involve Vail Mountain in some form. I find that running on the concrete makes me hurt so much. I am signed up for The Other Half in Moab in October. I'll do it with a friend. We'll probably end up walking most of it.

Archived