April 20- Husband and me, kids partially

JillP

• Administrators

thanks for doing that JillP!

random question - i got the new book and on page 199 it says there's a shopping list for the 7-day meal plan on the pdf downloads page on the Whole30 site, but i can't find that. does anyone know where that is? next week is going to be a busy one, so i'd love to have a shopping list and menu already made for me!

Not a random question at all. Actually you're not the first person to be confused about this and we went and asked the Head Honchos and they said that it is referring to the main shopping list. There isn't one specifically for that 7 day meal plan.  I haven't seen the book yet but I understand the wording might be a bit confusing.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got the new Whole30 cookbook - if anyone makes anything delicious from there, I'd love to have recommendations!

In February we signed up at our school's silent auction to attend some fun get-to-know-you type events with other parents. I just realized they are all during this Whole30. First is tonight - a "vino and van gogh" painting event. I decided to send my husband so I can avoid the temptation. The next two are a local winery tour and a local brewery tour. This was bad planning!

jen - my whole week next week will be from the cookbook. making my grocery list now! so, i'll keep you posted :)

such a bummer about the social events! do you think you could go and just hang out/visit with people? i know it's hard not to drink when everyone else is, but it's harder to feel deprived from civilization by staying home solo...unless it's a much needed break for you, which i would understand completely...

• Administrators

I so understand this! My husband made a banana/almond milk/chocolate smoothie last night. While I actually think maybe it is technically compliant - the cocoa powder wasn't sweetened and I haven't found anything about no cocoa  - it didn't seem to follow with the point of doing this.

From the Can I Have list.  Since it would be added to something that would bring out the sweetness/chocolatiness, it would not be allowed in that scenario.  As a seasoning or savoury spice it would be fine.

Cacao (100%): Yes

Cacao (or 100% cocoa) is great when used as a savory spice (our Mocha Steak Rub, found in It Starts With Food, is a great example), but you can also feel free to add it to your coffee or tea, or brew it Crio Bru-style. But per the rules of the program, it’s not okay to add cocoa to dates and other fruits to make chocolate-y confections. Read our Great Cocoa Debate for details.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.YuwIqhkW.dpuf

From the Can I Have list.  Since it would be added to something that would bring out the sweetness/chocolatiness, it would not be allowed in that scenario.  As a seasoning or savoury spice it would be fine.

Cacao (100%): Yes

Cacao (or 100% cocoa) is great when used as a savory spice (our Mocha Steak Rub, found in It Starts With Food, is a great example), but you can also feel free to add it to your coffee or tea, or brew it Crio Bru-style. But per the rules of the program, it’s not okay to add cocoa to dates and other fruits to make chocolate-y confections. Read our Great Cocoa Debate for details.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.YuwIqhkW.dpufT

THanks for the info!

jen - my whole week next week will be from the cookbook. making my grocery list now! so, i'll keep you posted :)

such a bummer about the social events! do you think you could go and just hang out/visit with people? i know it's hard not to drink when everyone else is, but it's harder to feel deprived from civilization by staying home solo...unless it's a much needed break for you, which i would understand completely...

I probably could make it work - everyone needs a DD, right? Just kind of a bummer in general.  Yes, do share whatever you end up making!

Halfway through Day 5 -- I'm hungry despite lunch of two chicken thighs, kale salad and roasted cauliflower.  Followed by multiple glasses of water to make sure I'm hungry and then testing with visions of steam fish and broccoli.....okay, I must not be that hungry.

I have a 11th grade class sleepover to chaperon (I'm a teacher) tonight --  the parents are providing tons of junk food for dinner and breakfast.  Ahh, at least the kids generally are too peer-focused to ask why I'm not eating what they are eating...  

BTW, I have a colleague who is also doing the W30 with the same start date as all of us.  She is really social, and said that her strategy was to walk into a party/bar and immediately get a SHORT glass with club soda and lime.  It looks like she's drinking a vodka tonic (or something) and then she can decide whether she wants to share her W30 story/info with her friends instead of feeling badgered by questions of why she isn't drinking.  

I haven't wanted to kill anything yet and am glad to have sidestepped that stage for the moment, though I don't know that it won't arise about midnight when I'm tucking the kids into bed ;-)

Keep up the great work everyone!  Thanks for all the stories, recipes suggestions etc.

I just made the Czech meatballs from Well Fed. (also at http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/10/25/paleo-czech-meatballs/)and served with sauteed red cabbage/garlic and then mixed some grainy mustard with homemade mayo for a dipping sauce for the meatballs. My oldest ate a meatball without complaint (we had a discussion beforehand that no negative comments are allowed!), next child ate two with the mayo and declared she liked them, my 4 year old refused to eat so hasn't had dinner, and my 13 month old ate 3 meatballs! I feel slightly successful.

Hello! Checking in here! Just caught up with the reading! I did well today, hit the gym, prepped some veggies, tomorrow we must shop! I'm all out of sweet potatoes.

I think I'm in the grumpy stage. At least, I'm hoping it's a stage and will get better.

Thanks to all of you for the great conversation and support!

Made the Pad Thai for dinner. Hubby enjoyed it. Grilled more chicken thighs for breakfast and lunch tomorrow, roasted root veggies and asparagus. Was starting to stress, but I'll be OK. No telling what kinds of foods they'll have in the expo hall tomorrow. We'll see. . . . .Motivation: I don't want to start over!

Day6!!!! We made it almost 1 week! We are heading to a kids activity soon where there is sure to be a lot of junk food! I'm packing boiled eggs, red pepper, cashews and maybe an apple. And a cup of rooibos tea. It's a chilly one here in Delaware!!

Woo woo! Day 6! I'm feeling very positive today. We went grocery shopping this morning, stocked up on frozen veggies, some fresh stuff and meats. i feel like this is the yummiest and most satisfying food I've ever cooked. And simple! I mean, there's lots of prep work and such but things are simple! Roasted or steamed or sautéed. It makes me happy.

Last night I dreamed I was out of town and I was trying to cook a compliant meal. There were 4 refrigerators in this house, 2 upstairs and 2 down and they were packed with tons of ice cream! I looked and found some veggies and eggs. In the egg cartons there were real eggs and Cadbury eggs and chocolate ones. Haha. The real eggs were teeny tiny and wrapped in candy wrappers. I unwrapped one and cracked it and there was half a teaspoon of egg in there. I thought to myself "ok, I just need 46 of these..."

At the conference in Denver. Had to have a snack of some nuts and part of an Asian pear. Lunch - ate the veggies and a couple of bites of the fish (it didn't taste good at all). At the beets from the salad but that's about it. Did have one tony bite of a pecan to figure out if it was candied - some looked like they were others weren't. It did taste sweet. Hope that tiny piece of pecan doesn't mean a re-start. Didn't even have them put the dessert down - berries with an equal amount or more of whipped cream, in a wine glass so I couldn't even get to the berries. I did bring a lunch so I'll sneak off and munch on that later. Asked hubby to make the Shepherd's Pie from the Whole30 book for dinner. And of course, the other vendors have bowls of chocolate on their tables including the one next to me. Yea! Just keep saying, "It's not worth the re-start."

Any one else feel like they've spent the whole Saturday either meal planning, grocery shopping, meal preparing, or doing kitchen clean-up? Luckily it is a gloomy day where I live so I don't feel like I'm missing out on being outside... too much...

Archived