Building milk supply after 2 month stop and first Whole30

Hi Everyone,

I am starting my first Whole30 on 5/15/15 (seems like a lucky number). I am also hoping to start up my milk supply for my almost 9-month old. I breastfed exclusively for the first four months...and we had issues after that. I stopped around 7 months because he was no longer willing to nurse (he only wanted the bottle). I let the pumping go...

Now I am hoping with changing my diet and my stress load is less that I can begin pumping (and hopefully someday he's interested in nursing).

Does anyone have any adivce??? I am going to the doctor next week to discuss this as well.

Thank you so much

Jenna

Pump. A lot. Keep pumping. It's the physical act of a baby nursing (or you using a breast pump or hand expressing) that triggers lactation and helps to regulate your supply. Good food and stress management are important for lactation, but optimizing those won't accomplish relactation without sufficient pumping.

Also remember to be kind to yourself because some women just don't respond to the pump. You may need to experiment with different models to find one that works for you. If you don't already have a relationship with your local La Leche League, then go get acquainted.

And remember too that you already gave him 4 months of exclusive breast feeding and other 3 months of regular breast milk and that's great! So please, please, please don't beat yourself up if the relacation plans don't work out.

• 2 weeks later...

WholeJenna, I hope your endeavor to build up your mild supply is going well.  I am also a pumping mom (I just recently returned to work) and I'm always interested in ways to increase my milk supply so let me know what works for you. 

Archived