Best way to ask restaurant for whole30 compliant options

Schnauzy

I am going to an American restaurant called “Beachcomber” in Newport Beach, California in less than 2 weeks for a friend’s birthday lunch and I am trying my best to prepare for it. I will probably email the restaurant asking what options are there that are whole30 compliant. Just wondering what is the best way to ask them without sounding demanding? Maybe:

“Hi, I’m planning to have lunch at your restaurant in a couple of weeks and it will be my first time there. I have a special diet that eliminates any form of sugar (honey, artificial, etc.), dairy, gluten, legume, and alcohol. Are there any food options available at your restaurant that will work with my diet? I really appreciate it. Thank you.”

Thanks

Honestly, call them, don't email. There's too much back and forth required, especially when it comes to discussing the cooking oils they use, any marinades, sauces and seasonings, etc.

I would suggest reviewing their menu online ahead of time, and picking 1-3 options that either appear to be compliant as is, or look like they can be easily modified to make compliant. Call (during a non-busy time for them), explain the situation, and ask about the dishes you selected, and go from there.

I think this is the only compliant option in their menu:

Ahi Salad 19.95 Sesame Crusted Ahi / Mixed Greens / Avocado / Mango / Radish Fried Wontons / Passion Fruit Vinaigrette (without the fried wontons and dressing of course) 

You'd need to check what's in the sesame crust besides the sesame (ahi dishes are suspect for soy), and if the ahi is cooked, what cooking oils they use.  But yes, it looks like it could be tweaked for compliance.  :)

Thanks Chris. Phew I just spoke to my friend and we are postponing our lunch until I complete the whole30. I feel bad since it was supposed to be her birthday lunch. When I told her about all the things I could not have and what I had to ask the restaurant, she was overwhelmed and thought it'll just be better to do a rain check! A big relief! We will be doing non-food activities instead for now :)

Archived