First whole 30 starts tomorrow (Thursday, May 28th, 2015)

Lexical

I am at the library right now. I just did part of my whole30 grocery shopping.

This is what I got:

1 can clams

1 can mussels in sunflower oil (couldn't remember if sunflower seed oil is okay or not, so only 1 can)

1 can oysters (in sunflower oil, see above)

1 bag sunflower seeds (dry roasted with salt)

2 pound bag carrots

1 kg bag spinach

14 cans tuna (only has water, tuna and salt) on sale for .88 cents a can (less than half the usual price)

Is the sunflower oil/seeds okay? If so I will get more clams, oysters,mussels...

Need to get (later):

some cucumbers

some avocado oil

avocadoes

tomatoes

apple cider vinegar

sour green apples

squash, ginger and leeks to make a stew

Is raw cocoa allowed? Is no sugar-added carob allowed?

There is a herb called sweet gale that comes as a tea I want to get. It is not actually sweet, that's just the name. It's a lucid dream tea picked by Canadians who travel by canoe. It grows on logs in the middle of the Ontario wilderness.

The above will then have to last about 3 weeks.

Later.

The answers to your questions are in the Can I Have Guide

The guidance on sunflower oil is to consume it only for dining out situations.

100% cacao is ok when used as a savory spice or brewed, not to make chocolately confections with fruit.  

Carob powder is ok.

I don't eat out much. I will rinse the oil off the oysters- can't afford the non-tinned ones much. They are crazy expensive. 

If I rinse the oil off, no problem, right? After I rinse off the oil there will be far less oil on them than what people would get eating out even 1 time (I will soak them in water for an hour till all the oil is gone). 

Yeah, I plan on brewing the cocoa. Cocoa drink. Or carob drink.  Found a place that sells coconut milk (canned) with no sulfites. But it is crazy. In order to do this diet I am going to have to fast at least 2 days a week.

I've read the can I have guide already.  My brain blanked on sunflower oil- I knew corn, vegetable, peanut, soybean and canoila oil was out. 

Now I am going to have a nap. 

Money is tight, so I am going to be eating that cheapo tuna I got (just tuna, salt, water listed as ingredients). And make my own mayo for it. Even the stupid olive oil mayo in the store was mostly soybean oil.  Will watch that video later. I also had someone recently show me how to make really tasty radishes. And I thought I hated radishes.

Baked in the oven in coconut oil, with fresh lemon juice, garlic and rosemary on them, sea salt and cracked black pepper. They taste pretty awesome. 

In order to do this diet I am going to have to fast at least 2 days a week.

First off, Whole30 is not a diet: http://whole30.com/2015/05/diet-vs-whole30/

Secondly, on you fasting 2 days a week, I wasn't sure if you literally meant that. If so, I implore you to please avoid underfeeding yourself. That's jeopardizing your health and is the antithesis of what the Whole30 is about. For best results, have 3 meals a day of protein, veg and fat, per the recommended meal template. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

How do I do that buying this stuff on a disability pension? This food is a lot more expensive that the food I can "afford". I haven't eaten 3 meals in a day in over 20 years anyway. 

By diet, I mean it is a group of food that people eat and they can't eat outside the certain foods. I did not imply it was a "diet" the way the word is used colloquially, which means to lose weight only.

I meant the dictionary definition of diet, which whole30, by definition, is (if it wasn't, there would be no rules, no criteria- but technically any food any organism regularly eats is that organism's diet): You

"noun

food and drink considered in terms of its qualities, composition, and itseffects on health:
Milk is a wholesome article of diet.
a particular selection of food, especially as designed or prescribed toimprove a person's physical condition or to prevent or treat a disease:
a diet low in sugar.
such a selection or a limitation on the amount a person eats forreducing weight:
No pie for me, I'm on a diet.
the foods eaten, as by a particular person or group:
The native diet consists of fish and fruit.
food or feed habitually eaten or provided:
The rabbits were fed a diet of carrots and lettuce.
anything that is habitually provided or partaken of:
Television has given us a steady diet of game shows and soap operas"

You are reading "diet" and limiting the meaning of that word (which has multiple definitions) to the definition denoted by the numeral "3". I am using it in the sense of definition 1, 2, 4 and 5. So yes, whole30 is a diet, but diet has more definitions than you seem to be aware of.  Whole30 is a diet the same way insects, grubs, leaves, root vegetables, eggs, (etc) are a Gorilla's diet and the same way various plant foods are a rabbit's diet. 

There is a difference between "having a diet" (every organism which consumes food from an external source has a "diet") and "dieting". Unfortunately, people have forgotten the full meaning of the word, but that doesn't make my use of the word incorrect. 

Glad we're on the same page with diet terminology. :-)

Re: doing the Whole30 on a budget, you may find the following articles helpful:

Woman who completed a Whole30 on a social security budget: http://whole9life.com/2013/02/whole30-success-story-gerry-c/

Paleo poor guide to grocery store (use pieces relevant to you):

http://whole9life.com/2011/01/paleo-poor-your-guide-to-the-grocery-store/

Wow, thank you GF! That is awesome! Thanks! I was getting frustrated with myself. I did manage to carry home 14 cans of on-sale compliant tuna today, and I figure if I consume half a can a day) I have enough for over a month. :) Very helpful! I found a place near me that sells various spices (no additives) for 1 dollar for most spices plus tax. 

What I am thinking is I will make sort of a tuna blend with celery, home made mayo (going out to get the ingredients before the store closes) and then have that inside of scooped out red peppers, in celery, or whatever. And a squash soup. 

I found a better price on tuna, but I looked, and it had some vegetable protein additive which I doubt is compliant and looked sketchy. 

I check out the links and they are for American chains. You guys have much better deals. To put it in perspective, half a small cabbage at the corner store costs nearly 3 dollars. 1 tin of salmon is over 3 bucks. A small bag of cinnamon can run 5 bucks. A small bag of quinoa (I know we can't eat that, just to show the prices) was nearly 20 (twenty dollars) CDN. There are places far away that have excellent deals- there is a place nearly 3 hours away by car called Liquidation World which has dented cans of stuff for very cheap. But I don't have a car. Something I am looking into right now is Costco, because they have the best deals and it is within bus-ride distance, but in order to shop there you have to pay 55 dollars and get a membership card. So my idea is to ask around, people in my situation, we'll all put 10 bucks in, 1 person will get a card- because you can shop there with someone who has a card. Once I found a good deal on these frozen salmon fillets, but they were suspiciously cheap and I found out they came from a fish farm in China where there was so much sewage, the fish were swimming in sewage... hence the crappy price. 

I can do this if I am very careful, but yeah... great prices down in the US. 

But, if I sound annoyed, I should be glad I do not live in Nunavut... check out these prices... (makes me feel better):

r-FEEDING-MY-FAMILY-large570.jpg

this-is-how-much-one-can-of-7up-costs-in

enhanced-7824-1417797323-14.jpg

So 3 bucks for half a cabbage? I can do that!  ;)  :P  :D

Just got 3 of the 4 ingredients I need to make homemade mayo- I got 6 organic eggs, 2 lemons and 1 bottle of GRAPE seed oil. It came to over 17 dollars and I still don't have the dijon mustard. 

*sighs* 

First meal (Thursday, May 29th, 2015)- 2 raw carrots (large size), pan fried spinach in grapeseed oil and compliant tomato sauce. Making herbal tea now with milk thistle tincture in it. 

Going to clean the kitchen out of all the "bad" food and get rid of it, so I don't mess this up. 

My home-made mayo didn't work so I am going to use the egg-oil stuff to cook with somehow rather than throw it out. 

Yes, that is a good idea- I have never made my own salad dressing before (not that I can remember)- not sure how it will taste, we will see. I have so much junk in the kitchen... I am going to clean it all out today (or the majority of it) to make way for the healthy food. I was thinking I could put the oil/egg stuff in with the canned tuna and mix that up with cucumber or something for a salad? 

Archived