Day 32 and I finally get it!

I've done all kinds of weight loss plans, multiple times.  I'm an NP and should know better.  I finally found something that works for me.  I took a good 2 weeks to read, shop, and organize before I started Whole 30.  I had lots of challenges including having my 84 year old mom stay with me the first week and she insisted on fast foods and diet Coke all week.  I didn't cheat once!  But having that food around made me realize how often I mindlessly eat, with no thought or consideration about what I was putting in my mouth.  After she left, I cleaned out all of the temptations and did really well.  But having that junk food around the first week, in hindsight, was good for me.  It forced me to think about that food,while it was here, and about how often I get a soda, put junk in my mouth without any thought.

I made a goal of eating each meal at the table, no more eating in front of the TV (again, mindless eating).  I learned that breakfast doesn't have to be traditional.  This morning I had salmon and salad.  And, I deserve to eat good food and plan meals for just me...something I didn't do before.  I used to do it for my boyfriend, for my family, and for anyone else, but never for me.  I realize I deserve that effort, too!  

I sleep much better, not perfect yet, but improving!  I feel happier (which is as much due to the fact that I have finally faced some real truths about food and feel like I have control)!  I have developed some really good habits.  And food tastes better, my sense of smell is stronger.  Now, when I get bored, I am going to the gym, not sitting in front of the TV eating.  And, finally, this is not about weight.  That really resonates with me.  I am more than my weight, size etc.  But weight watchers rewards you only on weight...kind of like a dog who gets a treat for good behavior.  WW gives you stickers for weight loss.  I have the added benefit of having lost 10 lbs during my Whole 30, but this is different.  My body feels different.  I think about food differently.  This is really a lifestyle change.  I appreciate the fact that Whole 30 puts so much emphasis on taste, on real food, on the real benefits of eating well.  

I did not log my food...somehow missed that on the webpage.  That is something I will do next time.  But I read a lot and learned from reading the forums.  I am continuing on my quest to eat better, eat 3 meals and eating good, whole food.  Thanks to everyone at Whole 30 for really teaching me how to eat, enjoy it, and cook!  This truly was life-changing.  I cannot believe how much I learned about eating and food.  Again, I am a nurse practitioner and PhD...I should know better.  It took Whole 30 to synthesize what food means and incorporate it into my life.  I would also encourage everyone to sign up for the newsletters.  Very helpful!  Thank you all!  

Archived