jda's whole50!

jda178

Hello, all!

A little about me: I'm currently a college student. About 6 years ago, I struggled a bit with restrictive eating habits, nearing the bottom of the "healthy" BMI weight range. After I resume eating enough, I gained weight until I was just over the top of the "normal" range, in the "overweight" range. Food was a source of stress for me for several years, during which time I attempted various unsuccessful forms of dieting. I did a whole30 two years ago, and that helped things. Within the last year or so, I've more or less made peace with food, and I didn't really mind being slightly "overweight." 

I still don't have anxiety over my weight, like I used to, but I do feel I need to regain control over my diet, which consisted pretty overwhelmingly of sugar during this past semester. I want to slay the sugar dragon, and if I lose some weight in the process, that'd be great.

I attempted a Whole30 earlier in the summer. It went great – much easier than round 1 two years ago! It was super easy, and I felt great, my face cleared up, and people started complimenting me for my looks. (I also started to get a bit of attention from the opposite sex. :o) I even lost 7 pounds! It went great, that is, until day 27. For some reason, days 24-27 were very difficult, and on day 27, I decided to bag the program, figuring I would just reintroduce a few foods early.

Big mistake. It didn't take long for me to revert to my poor eating habits, and weight, from before the whole30. I was disappointed with myself, but for some reason, I kept eating crap. Now, three weeks later, I'm ready to get back on the horse. I'm doing it again, and this time, I'm going to stick to it beyond day 30 -- to day 50, the day before I go back to school. Maybe I'll decide to keep going even longer!

My plan for success this time around includes:

• Be more active on the forums. Last time, I was active for a week or so, but since it felt so easy, I decided I didn't need to. This time, I'll be consistently active, hopefully even making some friends in the process!
  • No longer apologize for being "on a diet" when my friends go out for drinks or ice cream. I'm going to own this. I'll still go out with them, but I won't be apologetic about not partaking -- there's no reason to be!
  • Diversify my food. Last time, I bailed on day 27 because I was very bored with my meals. This is something I'm a little worried about this time, too. I was a vegetarian for 5 years, and I still don't really like to eat much meat. The last time I tried the Whole30, I was getting really sick of meat and started really missing my legumes.  :( I'd love to hear suggestions for this.
  • Journaling about why I'm doing this and how I feel. This is similar to being active on the forums.

Motivation:

• Impress people when I go back to school. :D I really did get a lot of positive feedback once I was two weeks in on the last whole30, and those compliments slowed soon after I stopped the whole30. This isn't totally because of the whole30 -- it's also because it was my first time home in a long time and I've grown my hair out and improved my wardrobe, etc. But it did make me think that it'd be great to return to school with clear skin and a little leaner of a body. :P
  • Be ready to tackle my last year of college with confidence! I felt good about myself during my last whole30, and I think this gave me power to be more social, happy, productive, etc. 
  • I'll add to this more as I go!

Other goals:

run 5 miles nonstop

run an 800 in under 3:30

SW: 146

Glad you are back.  I find keeping my whole30 log on here really helps me!  I went out last night - everyone eating cake, chips, coke, latte's etc.  I told everyone I was on Whole30. For the most part I got questions and interest - nobody saying OMG why would you do that!  LOL!  Today I have had cravings (Day 12 for me), but I know they will pass!  Good luck to you on your journey!  I can't help out with the legumes and meat part! :)

Thanks, Jenny! The last time I did it, people usually weren't negative about it, but I still felt like I had to apologize.  :huh:  Though, there was one guy who gave me a hard time for not drinking during a work event. That was just annoying.

Day 1 was meh. I was compliant, but I didn't prepare well this time around, so I ended up scrounging for food when I got very hungry at the end of the day. Tomorrow will include a trip to the grocery store and enough cooking to tie me over a few days, during which time I'll get more serious about meal planning and grocery shopping.

M1 (8 am): 3 eggs and 1/2 sweet potato cooked in olive oil

M2 (11 am): sautéed beef and peppers, 1/2 avocado, salad and dressing

M3 (4:30 pm): grilled chicken, salad with dressing, banana

M4 (9 pm): apple with almond butter <--  <_<

exercise: biked downtown to meet friends during the afternoon, which takes 30 minutes each way. The way there is all downhill -- easy. The way back is brutal. Hoping to get in some more exercise this month so I can be in better shape by the end of the summer. But it has the unfortunate side effect of making me hungry, which means more meal prep required...  :unsure:

This wasn't a great start, but I think I can get into the swing of things and make up for it. Looking forward to having more food over the next few days! 

Good morning! Day 2 was a little rough, in that I was extremely exhausted throughout the day. But I feel like I'm gathering speed!

M1 (7 am): 3 eggs, 1/2 sweet potato, fried in olive oil

M2 (12 pm): salad with veggies, grilled chicken, oil and vinegar

M2.5 (4 pm): banana <-- was so hungry! I'll definitely have to eat a larger lunch going forward.

M3 (7 pm): beef london broil, salad with avocado, balsamic vinaigrette, grilled vegetables

and I have to admit I had a few bites of the chicken I cooked after dinner. :P

Looking forward to day 3!

Meal prep is so important!  This last Sunday I cooked up 3 major proteins to have on hand. I cooked a brisket, pork carnitas and a whole chicken (next time I will cook 2 since everyone seemed to eat that).  I had to take my dog to the vet yesterday and they were running way behind. So, I got home later than usual (way past dinner time and was starving). I was able to heat up the pork and just slice some cucumbers, tomatoes. And added some jalapenos, pickles, and onion on top of the pork carnitas.  So I was prepared and it was simple to fix!  So nice having some go to's so you are not tempted to cheat (or go hungry).

That's a great idea! I wish I had mustered up the energy to do that last weekend -- I was so exhausted, but now I'm playing catch-up with my meal prep. Especially because my family (parents and sister) eats the food almost faster than I can make it. That makes it a little hard to cook in advance. But I'll just have to set aside food for myself and tell them not to eat it.

M1 (7 am): 1/2 balsamic glazed chicken, cajun-style sweet potatoes, grilled asparagus

M2 (11:30 am): seared chicken breast, 1/2 avocado, handful of carrots

M3 (7 pm): beef london broil, salad with dressing and 1/2 avocado, roasted vegetables, 6 strawberries.

My favorite phrase when I go out with friends and they're asking why I'm not partaking is "oh, no thanks. I'm not drinking right now". I leave it vague, never apologetic, and rarely even get a follow-up "why?" from them.

I was a vegetarian for 5 years while living in Alaska (not an easy feat!), so I learned how to stand up for my food choices and make my needs met without ever being apologetic. :)  Gave up vegetarianism years ago (so sadly, have no pointers for you), but I learned a lot about myself.

What's on you  cajun-style sweet potatoes? those sound intriguing! 

Jenny - your son gets out of school at 10:30 pm? Yikes, that's late!

JenX - That phrase sounds good – I'll give it a try! Here's a recipe I've used for cajun sweet potatoes. They're best fresh out of the oven, but I don't mind eating them a few days later, too: http://minimalistbaker.com/cajun-baked-sweet-potato-fries/

Yesterday was Day 4 and was a hungry day. 

M1 (7 am): 1/2 portion chicken, roasted veggies (totally not enough)

M2 (11 am): sautéed beef and peppers (still hungry...)

M2.5 (12 pm): salad with veggies, grilled chicken, and oil and vinegar from the salad bar at work (questionable compliance? I'm not going to worry about it, though. I was starving.)

M3 (6 pm): chicken seared with olive oil, salad, tomatoes with basil and olive oil, 1/3 avocado

M4 (10 pm): a few bites of the meatballs I cooked

I'll have to eat bigger meals today. On another note, I think my skin is already clearing up!

Had a very busy few days -- let's see if I can remember what I ate...

Day 5

M1 (6:30 am): ?

M2 (noon): seared chicken, 1/2 avocado

M3 (7:30 pm): meatballs, salad with avocado and dressing

Day 6

M1 (7 am): 3 eggs, 1/2 sweet potato

M2 (12 pm): meatballs, 1/2 sweet potato, several baby carrots

M3 (7 pm): "naked" chicken wings with dry rub, garlic fries*, bratwurst*

Day 7

M1 (8 am): leftover chicken wings, salad with avocado and dressing

M2 (1 pm): 3 eggs, 1/2 sweet potato, peach

M3: TBD

exercise: 3.25 mile walk/run

* This was at a restaurant. I wouldn't be surprised if the fries were cooked in soybean/canola oil and the bratwurst had non-compliant ingredients. But I don't think I'm going to start over on my fifty days. I think if I considered that to mean I would failed, I would probably spend a few days eating crappy food before I "got back on the horse," so I've decided to keep going.

Ugh, I ate non-compliant food yesterday. I went to a friend's party, and I hadn't eaten beforehand, because I figured there had to be something there I could eat. There wasn't, and then I ended up eating very poorly. I feel icky this morning, and I'm disappointed with myself. So I'm going to start over today. Any ideas how to turn this into a good learning experience so this doesn't happen again?

Felt much better after a good day today!

M1 (8 am): 1/2 portion chicken, 1/3 avocado, 1/2 sweet potato

M2 (1 pm): salad with grilled chicken, avocado, lime

M3 (6 pm): salad with 1 hardboiled egg, 1/2 peach, 1/3 avocado, dressing

M4 (9 pm): roasted baby new potatoes, 1/3 avocado, a few bites london broil

so much avocado... yum...

Archived