Evening exercise question

mymeow

Hi, today is my first day on this program.  I work until 5:30 and go to water aerobics on Monday and Wednesday evenings at 6:30.  In the past I have always had my dinner on these evenings after my class, so it's often 8:30-9:00 before dinner, and then I'm in bed around 10:00.  I know I shouldn't eat dinner this close to bed, but I don't like eating dinner right before I exercise either.  What would you recommend?

• Moderators

I would have a pre-WO meal based on the Meal Template recommendations. Then, for dinner, go to the trouble of making ahead of time a very simple, pull-outta-the-fridge meal. Look, she JUST guest posted about this on the Whole30 blog!: http://whole30.com/2015/07/ingredient-meals/

Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed is THE book that got me through my first W30. I can't recommend it enough. I think it was on crazy low sale on Kindle recently. Worth it at any price, frankly.

You'll find regardless of workouts, meal prep ahead of time is key. Remember your meals don't have to be Pinterest-worthy! A plate with a boiled egg, some meatballs and baby carrots and celery drizzled with homemade mayo or other tasty sauce is perfect for your situation:

More gold from Melissa Joulwan on how to prep a bunch of food for the week: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/07/27/whole30-week-1-food-plan/

You can do this!

Great, thank you for the links!  I actually have the Well Fed ready to pick up at the library, but won't be able to get it until tomorrow.  I have a turkey chili in the crockpot for dinner so it's ready to eat.  I am just debating whether to have an apple with almond butter before I go work out and have the chili when I get home, or should I have the chili at 5:30, workout at 6:30, and eat the apple/almond butter when I get home?

I can so relate with having problems fitting in pre and post workout meals as well as the other three meals and still not eating right before bed. 

The apple/almond butter combo probably isn't the best option for either before or after the workout.  The meal template suggests protien pre and post workout and to generally avoid the fruit for these.  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf. 

I think I would try to avoid eating a huge meal before working out, so maybe some hard-boiled eggs before the workout and then eat the chilli after?  Seems like putting that meal right before bed isn't ideal, but perhaps the best solution. 

As I said, I'm having trouble fitting in the pre and post workout meals too.  It can be tricky to make it work around a real schedule! 

I share same challenges as other members.  I struggle with both pre and post workout snacks. I go from work to the gym which is 45 minutes from my house and dinner is usually 7:30 or 8:00. I used to eat an apple preworkout but Whole30 says avoid fruit. The idea of chicken, jerky, hardboiled eggs (which I dislike) or any another meat before working out it is intolerable. What are my other choices?  

I share same challenges as other members.  I struggle with both pre and post workout snacks. I go from work to the gym which is 45 minutes from my house and dinner is usually 7:30 or 8:00. I used to eat an apple preworkout but Whole30 says avoid fruit. The idea of chicken, jerky, hardboiled eggs (which I dislike) or any another meat before working out it is intolerable. What are my other choices?  

I know you said you don't like hardboiled eggs, try another protein. What I ended up doing last night was eating dinner at 5, doing my thing and eating my protein & carb at 9pm. It was a hardboiled egg and 1/2 can of sweet potato puree...you could sub with another protein. The sweet potato was better than I expected!

Archived