Judi's Whole30 and so it begins...

Judi

My new journey begins towards a healthier lifestyle. I've always thought of myself as healthy until I had a motorcycle accident a few years ago, I wasn't able to exercise so the pounds quickly piled on making the arthritis pain in my knees and hips even worse. I tried dieting and had temporary success but got so tired of measuring, weighing and logging everything and then being hungry and gaining the weight back that I just gave up, until recently, when I just got tired of feeling like total crap. Over weight, out of shape, drinking way too much wine and in physical pain most of the time between my arthritis and my daily stomach aches.

I saw the Whole30 book and decided to give it a try, my new journey.

Sorry for the capital letters, I started my log at work and that's how we key in our programs, I'll try to change it going forward.

I saw the Whole30 book and decided to give it a try, my new journey. Sorry for the capital letters, I started my log at work and that's how we key in our programs, I'll try to change it going forward. Meal log up to day 12:

DAY 1 07/13/15 - MONDAY

M1 - SPINACH FRITTATA ½ AVOCADO CANTALOUPE

M2- CHICKEN THIGHS TOSSED SALAD OLIVE OIL & VINEGAR DRESSING APPLE WITH ALMOND BUTTER

M3- PERFECT GROUND TURKEY ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE ½ SWEET POTATO (LARGE)

Love the Spinach Frittata. Lunch was a kinda crappy, my lettuce was too wilty. Didn’t have Roasted Spaghetti Squash but still very tasty! Not hungry between meals. Feel good.

DAY 2 07/14/15 - TUESDAY

M1- SPINACH FRITTATA ½ AVOCADO CANTALOUPE

M2- PERFECT GROUND TURKEY ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE ½ SWEET POTATO (LARGE)

M3- SEARED CHICKEN STEAMED BROCCOLI W/GHEE SAUTEED POTATOES

Not hungry between meals, but waking up at 3:00 am for some reason…tired.

DAY 3 07/15/15 - WEDNESDAY

M1- SPINACH FRITTATA TOPPED W/ LEFTOVER SAUCE/GRD TURKEY ½ AVOCADO CANTELOPE

M2- SEARED CHICKEN BROCCOLI W/GHEE SAUTEED POTATOES (SM QTY) APPLE

M3- SHEPARDS PIE W/GRD LAMB

Not hungry between meals but woke up again at 3:00 am then tossed & turned…

DAY 4 07/16/15 - THURSDAY

M1- PERFECT EGGS W/COCONUT MILK STEAMED SPINACH W/GHEE ½ SWEET POTATO STRAWBERRIES (HANDFUL)

M2- SHEPARDS PIE W/GRD LAMB BANANA

M3- SEARED SALMON ASPARAGUS & SAUTEED MUSHROOMS W/GHEE ½ LARGE SWEET POTATO

Not hungry between meals, slept a little better but still tired…..Had a bit of an upset stomach about 2 hours after breakfast, ugh. Ate the banana with lunch (after the shepards pie), I was feeling full so I shouldn’t have…have to work on that…now I feel stuffed. 2 hours after lunch and I have heartburn/indigestion. Felt really crappy stomach wise and completely exhausted.

DAY 5 07/17/15 - FRIDAY

M1- PERFECT EGGS W/COCONUT MILK 1 LARGE TOMATO CANTALOPE

M2- SEARED SALMON ASPARAGUS & SAUTEED MUSHROOMS W/GHEE ½ LARGE SWEET POTATO

M3- SEARED SIRLOIN STEAK CUCUMBER, TOMATOES

Upset stomach again about 2 hours after breakfast..hmm..maybe the coconut milk?

DAY 6 07/18/15 - SATURDAY

M1- PERFECT EGGS 2/COCONUT MILK 1 LARGE TOMATO PINEAPPLE

M2- PERFECT PROTEIN SALAD W/CHICKEN LETTUCE GRAPES (5-7) SLICED ALMONDS (CLOSED HAND) DOLLOP OF MAYO

M3- BEEF BRISKET ½ SWEET POTATO CARROTS & ONION

Okay, lots of bathroom issues..maybe this is my system being cleaned out? A lot of pain today (knees & hips) by the end of the day… feels like I’m 90 years old. TIRED, TIRED, TIRED!!!

DAY 7 07/19/15 - SUNDAY

M1- PERFECT EGGS 2/COCONUT MILK 1 LARGE TOMATO PINEAPPLE

M2- PERFECT PROTEIN SALAD W/CHICKEN LETTUCE GRAPES (5-7) SLICED ALMONDS (CLOSED HAND) DOLLOP OF MAYO

M3- CHICKEN CACCIATORI MASHED POTATOES (THIN LAYER, 1-1/2 POTATO)

Hmmm…felt decent by the end of the day, not as bone/joint sore as yesterday.

DAY 8 07/20/15 - MONDAY

M1- LEFTOVER BEEF BRISKET FRIED EGG ¼ SWEET POTATO CARROTS

M2- PERFECT PROTEIN SALAD (CHICKEN) STRAWBERRIES (5 SMALL) ALMONDS (CLOSED HAND) DOLLOP OF MAYO

M3- LEFT OVER CHICKEN CACCIATORI CAULIFLOWER RICE (LOVE THIS!)

Felt really good overall today, bone/joint pain is less than when I started. My watch and rings were actually loose on me last night…little things can make me happy lol

DAY 9 07/21/15 – TUESDAY

M1- SPINACH FRITATTA ½ AVOCODO 2 TINY PLUMS (LESS THAN GOLF BALL SIZE)

M2- PROTEIN SALAD (CHICKEN) 10 GRAPES ROMAINE LETTUCE/BABY SPINACH SLICED ALMONDS (CLOSED HAND) DOLLOP OF MAYO

M3- ROASTED SPAGHETTI SQUASH PERFECT GROUND TURKEY ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE

Spent most of the day in the bathroom, I don’t think avocados and I play well together or it was a bad avocado. Will try them again next week to see if issue continues.

DAY 10 07/22/15 - WEDNESDAY

M1- SPINACH FRITATTA (NO AVACADO…THINK IT GAVE ME MAJOR ISSUES YESTERDAY) CANTALOPE SLICE

M2- PROTEIN SALAD (CHICKEN) 10 GRAPES ROMAINE LETTUCE/BABY SPINACH SLICED ALMONDS (CLOSED HAND) DOLLOP OF MAYO

M3- ROASTED SPAGHETTI SQUASH PERFECT GROUND TURKEY ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE

DAY 11 07/23/15 – THURSDAY

M1- SPINACH FRITATTA BANANA

M2- PERFECT SEARED CHICKEN BREAST ½ SWEET POTATO CUCUMBER (1 CUP SLICED) DOLLOP OF TESSAMAES CHESAPEAKE MAYO

M3- PERFECT SEARED CHICKEN BREAST STEAMED BROCCOLI W/GHEE ½ SWEET POTATO

DAY 12 07/24/15 – FRIDAY

M1- SPINACH FRITATTA (SMALL LEFTOVER PIECE) 2 FRIED EGGS

M2- PROTEIN SALAD (CHICKEN) CARROTS CELERY APPLE

M3- PORK CHOPS APPLESAUCE STEAMED GREENBEANS

Have to say, both my husband and I went crazy over the pork and applesauce recipe!

DAY 13  07/25/15 - SATURDAY

M1 - PERFECT SCRAMBLED EGGS (2), 2 PORK SAUSAGE PATTIES, 10 GRAPES

M2 - PROTEIN SALAD (CHICKEN), 10 GRAPES, SLICED ALMONDS, DOLLOP OF MAYO

M3 - HARVEST GRILLED CHICKEN SALAD WITH RASPBERRY VINAIGRETTE

Tomorrow is going to be my first big challenge.  It's my mother in laws 80th birthday party...I'm planning on eating a large healthy Whole30 meal just before the party so I won't have to worry about eating there and I'll take seltzer water with a container of lemon and lime wedges to drink.  I'll also take a Lara Bar just in case but hopefully won't have to use it since its not really an emergency situation :P

Hopefully I'll just keep mingling and no one will notice I'm not eating the catered food at the event.

Oh wow! Good luck!  Let us know how it went. ;)  That's actually really great advice. I will have to remember to do that, eat first before going to an outing so I am not tempted.  I see that you eat spinach frittata fairly often for breakfast, may I ask how you make this?  Today was my 3rd day and I'm getting a bit burnt out on eggs and spinach but perhaps preparing it differently will make it more appealing for me. 

I tried to post the directions from the Whole30 book but it may have been removed by moderators (understandable) so the best I can do is tell you to get the book, the recipes are amazing!

Made it through the party but downed the rest of my protein salad as soon as I got home. Drank tons of water during the party (it was outside and hot, really hot). I'm most proud of not drinking any alcohol, which I always used as a crutch in social situations. In fact, I think I had a better time without drinking. I realized I didn't need it just as I didn't need to taste all the beautifully displayed desserts. Really proud of myself.

Day 14- 07/26/15 -Sunday

M1- Protein salad with chicken, mixed greens & cherry tomatoes

M2- Leftover harvest salad with seared chicken

M3- Left overs from M1

Snacked on sliced green & yellow squash at the party.

Day 15 - Monday 07/26/15

Feeling pretty good today, it was nice to go to a party and not wake up hung over.

M1- 2 perfect scrambled eggs, 2 tbs ghee, 2 pork sausage patties, watermelon

M2- perfect protein salad with chicken, cherry tomatoes, mixed lettuce & sliced almonds

M3- sweet potato meatloaf, sautéed red potatoes, sautéed red & green peppers with onion. Used ghee to sauté.

A little short on water today as I was pretty busy at work, trying to catch up but then I end up making several trips to the bathroom when I should be getting a good night's sleep.

Day 16 - Tuesday 07/27/15

Feeling tired in the morning, had to hit the snooze button several times. ..ugh.

M1- 2 egg omelet with spinach, kale & swiss chard (ghee), 2 pork sausage patties and watermelon

M2- Left over sweet potato meatloaf, sautéed peppers and onion and red potatoes and an apple

M3- perfect seared sirloin steak (ghee), sautéed green peppers, pablano peppers & onions (lite evoo) and a mixed greens salad with tessamaes whole 30 approved dressing.

Hope to sleep well and wake up better than this morning. Walked 3 miles on the treadmill

Day 17 - Wednesday 07/29/15

All seems to be going well, no major cravings but I did have a dream last night that I had a shot of brandy...it was so real I checked the sink for a glass when I woke up this morning!

Didn't get a chance to walk tonight, I have a 135 gallon discus tank that I change the water on every other day and that's an 1-1/2 hour task.

M1- 3 egg omelette with leftover peppers, onions and mushrooms and watermelon

M2- protein salad with chicken, spinach, kale, swiss chard, slivered almonds, grapes and a dollop of mayo

M-3 leftover seared steak, mixed salad greens with cucumbers, peppers, 1/2 avacado and a little Tessamaes ranch dressing

Day 18 - Thursday 07/30/15

Loving the food and enjoying preparing meals, just waiting for some of those non scale victories to show up. I do feel my skin is less dry and I have much less stomach issues (gas, bloating)so I guess that's something.

M1- 3 egg omelette with spinach, kale, swiss chard and cantaloupe.

M2- seared chicken with mixed greens and a dollop of mayo. Had a banana also which I probably should have skipped because I was feeling full but was worried I'd be really hungry before dinner at 7:30.

M3-sweet potato meatloaf with broccolI and 1/2 a large sweet potato with ghee.

Day 19 - Friday 07/31/15

Argh, overslept this morning by 45 minutes!  Luckily I had made my breakfast and lunch the night before so it could have been worse. 

Have to go to a graduation party tonight so it will be my 2nd food/drink challenge during this part of my journey.  I'm planning on again eating before I go.

M1- 3 egg omelette with spinach, kale, swiss chard and cantaloupe.

M2- Protein salad with chicken, tomato, mixed greens, sliced almonds, grapes and a dollop of mayo

M3 - No fuss salmon cakes, 1/2 of large sweet potato with ghee and steamed broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots and ghee.

Wow, those salmon cakes were fabulous and soooooooo easy!!!!!

All went well at the party, had a very small serving of watermelon and grapes just to make it look like I ate.  Drank bottled water and enjoyed visiting.

I already know I am going to continue with another round of Whole30 after I complete this round, I'm liking how I'm starting to feel both physcially and mentally with this life style and want to incorporate more positve aspects into my daily life before starting to reintroduce other foods/beverages.

Hi Judi! I'm a Judi too.

I'm on Day 1 Round 2 of W30. After my first round I did 2 weeks of reintroduction, very eye opening and somewhat unpleasant too. Dairy, out. Grains, out because they make me want to eat and crave things. Alcohol, I can have wine or a hard cider and keep it to 1 serving, this will be a special occasion item.

My goal for Round 2, build that good feeling of being in control, reinforce the no cravings or need to snack I developed in Round 1, continue to benefit from eating well.

Hi Judi! I'm a Judi too.

I'm on Day 1 Round 2 of W30. After my first round I did 2 weeks of reintroduction, very eye opening and somewhat unpleasant too. Dairy, out. Grains, out because they make me want to eat and crave things. Alcohol, I can have wine or a hard cider and keep it to 1 serving, this will be a special occasion item.

My goal for Round 2, build that good feeling of being in control, reinforce the no cravings or need to snack I developed in Round 1, continue to benefit from eating well.

Hi Judi! I'm a Judi too.

Hi Judi! 

Wow, I have to admit before starting this I knew I had problems with dairy and grains but didn't realize how much of a problem they were until I stopped eating them...I knew some of the issues were gas/bloating, etc. but I never thought about them possibly causing other cravings. 

Good luck on your round 2, I'll be looking forward to your posts!

Great reading your posts.  I'm on day 11 today and quite shocked I'm not craving sugar that I'm normally addicted to.  Bizarre.  Almost half way.  Almost half way.

Hi Steve!  Glad to hear you're not craving sugar, I really didn't/don't either which basically shocks me but I do have 2 small servings of fruit everyday just because I like the cool refreshing taste in the summer.  Good luck as you are about 1/2 way there :)

Day 20 - Saturday 08/01/15

It's actually Monday morning and I'm trying to get caught up as the weekend as usual was too buy and too short ;) .  All went well considering the graduation party then an invite to a cookout on Saturday night.  I did my usual, ate a compliant meal at home then continued on to the party where I enjoyed my seltzer water with lemon & lime.

M1- Left over salmon cake with 2 fried eggs, cantaloupe

M2- Protein salad with chicken, tomatoes, mixed greens, cashews and a dollop of mayo.

M3- Zucchini zoodles with shrimp and romesco sauce.

Geez I LOVE zoodles!!!!  Picked up one of those julienne slicers and had a blast making them.  I'm already imaging them with the tomato sauce and meatballs, yummmmmmmy!!!

Day 21 - Sunday 08/02/15

M1- Perfect scrambled eggs and perfect bacon (thank you Wellness Foods USA) with a side of steamed spinach & a bit of ghee

M2- Grilled chicken over a bed of mixed mixed greens with cherry tomatoes, walnuts, cucumbers and I mixed a bit of Tessamaes ranch dressing with a bit of mayo.  Very, very good!

M3- Pork with kale and butternut squash.  This meal was to die for, seriously good.

Day 22 08/03/15

I think my sleeping has improved with the exception of having to get up from all the water I'm drinking

I was really hungry before dinner tonight because I had to stop at my mom's house to help her with some cable issues then come home and do a water change on my discus tank then start dinner at 7:30. So, that was about 7 hours between meals.

So waiting for the tiger blood or heck I'd take some tiger cub blood at this point

M1- Salmon cake with 2 fried eggs & steamed spinach with ghee

M2- Left over pork worth kale & butternut squash and 2 tiny donut peaches

M3- Melissa's chicken hash

I just have to say the chicken hash was FABULOUS! My husband said every dinner has been a home run. He's not doing this with me but is at least benefiting from the dinners and not having any snacks in the house other than fruits and veggies.

Day 23 - Tuesday 08/04/15

I found myself hungry today about an hour before lunch so I'll have to add a bit more extra fat tomorrow to see how it goes. Kinda neat how that works and to think I used to be afraid of fat!

M1- 3 egg omelette with spinach, kale and swiss chard plus a side of sautéed shredded sweet potato

M2- Left over Chicken Hash and 2 tiny plums (less than golf ball size)

M3- Halibut with citrus ginger glaze and Green cabbage slaw.

Gotta sat I love this food! It's so amazing that I'm eating this incredible healthy food and feeling satisfied.

Day 24 - Wednesday 08/05/15

Have a headache today, not horrible just annoying. I was actually hungry morning, which previously I was never hungry first thing. There were times I didn't eat until I got to work.

M1- 3 egg omelette with spinach, kale and swiss chard plus a side of sautéed shredded sweet potato and 1/2 of an avacado

M2- Left over Chicken Hash and an apple

M3- Bratwurst from US Wellness meats,roasted red potatoes and left over Green Cabbage Slaw

Took an Epsom salt bath tonight, it helped my headache, just wish we had a nice deep soaking tub that could actually relax in.

Day 24 - Wednesday 08/05/15

Have a headache today, not horrible just annoying. I was actually hungry morning, which previously I was never hungry first thing. There were times I didn't eat until I got to work.

M1- 3 egg omelette with spinach, kale and swiss chard plus a side of sautéed shredded sweet potato and 1/2 of an avacado

M2- Left over Chicken Hash and an apple

M3- Bratwurst from US Wellness meats,roasted red potatoes and left over Green Cabbage Slaw

Took an Epsom salt bath tonight, it helped my headache, just wish we had a nice deep soaking tub that could actually relax in.

Day 25 - Thursday 08/06/15

Felt better this morning, went to bed at about 9:15 so I got a bit more sleep.

Clothes are definitely getting looser, not a lot but enough to make me see how my body is naturally adapting to this way of eating without starving myself.

M1- Scrambled eggs (2) and a Bratwurst link. Completely forgot about adding a veggie...duh!

M2- Chicken Hash and 2 tiny plums

M3- Walnut Crusted Pork Tenderloin,over a bed of mixed greens with balsamic vinaigrette and Pan Roasted Brussel Sprouts & Butternut Squash.

Another amazing dinner, I can't believe how fantastic these recipes are and there's just enough leftover for lunch tomorrow

Day 26 - Friday 08/07/15

Well its the weekend and no big plans other than a cut and a color, thinking about going back to blonde.

M1- 3 egg omelette with spinach, kale & swiss chard in ghee and 1/2 an avacado

M2- Leftover Walnut Crusted Pork Tenderloin and Pan Roasted Brussel Sprouts & Butternut Squash and a banana

M3- Pan seared salmon, sautéed green beans (both in ghee), tomato & cucumber salad with Tessamaes ranch dressing.

Day 27 - Saturday 08/08/15

Well, I'm now back to blonde :) .  Crazy  busy day, actually had no lunch  due to poor planning - cannot do that again!!!

M1- 3 egg omelette with spinach, kale & swiss chard in ghee and 1/2 an avacado

M3 - Cocconut Curry Chicken with Cauliflower rice

Had a handful of cashews with some raisins when I got home from the salon (9:00 - 12:45) and grocery shopping (2:30).  Going to hard boil some eggs today to make sure I'm never unprepared again :(

Archived