NancyW's Whole30 Life - Chapter 1

NancyW

Boy, I've been thinking about making the change to a Paleo lifestyle for ages. I finally decided it's time. I read "It Starts With Food" from the library, and I bought a copy of "Whole30" and read that as well. I'm excited to be gearing up to start my first Whole30! I've shared this news with many people in my life so that they're not surprised when I do things differently. Almost all have been thoroughly supportive. That will make it easier to do what I need to do to get through it. And I've warned my closest friends about "Kill all the things." They have marked it on their calendars as a warning! :P  This forum is a huge help already. Thanks, everyone!  :D

My plan as I gear up for Day 1:

• Eat simply
  • Stay away from sugar as much as possible
  • Plan some meals (and make grocery lists) for the first week
  • Clean out the fridge and cupboards
  • Make some calls to find out where I can get the "good" beef, pork & chicken in this area
  • Grocery shop
  • Get an erasable board for the front of the fridge to keep notes about meal plans and groceries
  • Make a large pot of W30-compliant soup--probably chili, with beef and sweet potatoes

Countdown to Day 1: 8 days

Wow. I'm in the "Eat ALL the things" phase. Typical "diet mentality"... I hope that doing this Whole30 thing will break the hold that food has on me. 44 years of disordered eating is enough. More than enough. 

Countdown to Day 1: 7 days

Stocked up on some meat today at Outpost. Tons of beautiful produce that I can pick up during lunch. And all the other things I'll need to make this work! I'm excited to get this underway!

Countdown to Day 1: 6 days

Welcome to whole30! I love your enthusiasm! I'm glad you've read the books and are giving yourself some time to prep and plan; that will make it easier when the big day arrives!

Thanks, MTNan--I'm excited! I'm so glad to have this forum to help with ideas, recipes and support.

I decided to take Monday off of work to be sure I'm ready for this challenge! It will give me time to shop, prep veggies, and fill my freezer with individual containers of food so that I don't have to do too much each day. No sense overwhelming myself! I'm still very excited to be doing this, and thankful for the online support.

Countdown to Day 1: 4 days

I am both scared and excited to be starting my 30 soon! I have built a support system at work and with family so that will be helpful. Fridge clean-up today, additional grocery shopping today or tomorrow, and cooking tomorrow. It's good that I love to cook ahead and freeze. That will help me get through the week without feeling like I'm living in the kitchen. One more trip through the Whole30 book, and I'll have a plan for the week. I'm really looking forward to the structure of the program, and the support of Team 9/1 and the rest of the forum!

Countdown to Day 1: 2 days

One more day to go. Need a few more veggies, a bit of fruit, and I'm good to go. Biggest question now is if I should try coconut milk in my coffee, or learn to drink it black. Will try the coconut milk, but I don't think it keeps long enough for me to use it up before it goes bad. Will see how both of them work out. Now to go back and do some reading to be sure I'm as ready as I can be. And maybe find a good soup recipe to make a bunch of, and freeze for my lunches. And find some Kerrygold butter to clarify, as buying the pre-made stuff is pretty pricey. Cuz being able to use butter on all those cooked veggies and sweet potatoes is a GOOD thing.  :D

Countdown to Day 1: 2 days

Good luck Nancy! :)

I tried coconut milk in my coffee a few times but I prefer it black. My favorite coffee beans are Kona and costco has a rainforest blend I really like. We use a French press which makes a huge difference in the brew as well. This is an awesome forum if you have any questions people are more than happy to help!

Day 0 - Prep day!

Label reading lesson: I wanted to get the ingredients for the W30 Classic Chili. While reading the labels on the beef broth, I realized that none of the store cans were going to cut it. I don't have time to make my own today, so I will sub with water and extra seasonings. I may add some b-nut squash or sweet potatoes, and will serve it with lime and avocado (or guac). Off to boil eggs, make chili, prep veggies, cook some chicken breasts, and read read read!

Good luck Nancy!  :)

I tried coconut milk in my coffee a few times but I prefer it black. My favorite coffee beans are Kona and costco has a rainforest blend I really like. We use a French press which makes a huge difference in the brew as well. This is an awesome forum if you have any questions people are more than happy to help!

Thanks Shawie! I love dark roast, and I have a huge supply of K-cups for my Keurig at home, and the one at work, and I love the coffee it makes. The more I think about it, the more I think black coffee will be the best option, because I really do love the flavor of coffee. I have learned SO much on this forum, and look forward to becoming a long-time member. I am really excited about this change to a different food lifestyle!

Day 1: Check!

M1: HB eggs, celery & almond butter, blueberries & coconut milk

M2: W30 classic chili, celery & almond butter (meant to have quacamole as my fat, but forgot it at home)

M3: Grass fed round steak, mashed cauliflower w/ coconut milk & clarified butter

Turned out to be a very easy day, foodwise. I was busy at work, so time flew and I didn't really think much about food. I love this "honeymoon" phase! The treats that others brought to the office didn't interest me at all. We'll see how easy that is after 4 days off of sugar...my peak withdrawal day. 

Day 2: Check!

Woke up a bit headachy, but nothing I couldn't handle. My breakfast was not enough, so will have to plan that a bit better. I'd really like to be able to stick to three meals. As long as I eat enough, I can go till my next meal--amazing since I've always eaten about 6 times a day! 

M1: Leftover round steak & mashed cauliflower, pineapple w/ coconut milk (Had an egg and then a spoonful of almond butter later in the morning. Will try to prevent that from happening in the future!)

M2: Classic Chili with extra veggies, 1/2 avocado

M3: Ground turkey breast with coleslaw mix and broccoli slaw, 1/2 avocado, all seasoned with sesame oil, coconut aminos and hot sauce

Lots of good, REAL, healthy food--yum!!

Day 3: Check!

M1: Leftover ground turkey breast with coleslaw mix and broccoli slaw from last night, celery & almond butter

M2: Classic Chili, avocado

M3: Chicken sauteed in clarified butter, mashed cauliflower w/ clarified butter and coconut milk

My M3 today was my favorite meal so far. The clarified butter makes the chicken seem so rich and yummy! And the faux-tatoes are unbelievable prepared the W30 way. 

Day 3: Still not over!

M1: Ground turkey breast, coleslaw mix, broccoli slaw w/ sesame oil, spoonful of almond butter (forgot to bring avocado to work to eat with breakfast)

M2: 3 HB eggs, raw carrots, guacamole (couldn't finish this, just not hungry)

M3: 2 grass-fed beef patties, sweet potato (planned, may change)

Day 3: Still not over!

M1: Ground turkey breast, coleslaw mix, broccoli slaw w/ sesame oil, spoonful of almond butter (forgot to bring avocado to work to eat with breakfast)

M2: 3 HB eggs, raw carrots, guacamole (couldn't finish this, just not hungry)

M3: 2 grass-fed beef patties, sweet potato (planned, may change)

M3: Changed, for the better. I added a chopped yellow pepper and sauteed the burgers and pepper in EVOO. Also added coconut milk to the sweet potato. I'd have preferred adding clarified butter, but didn't bring it with me to my daughter's house. Still, it was a very tasty meal!

I think my problem at lunch was the eggs. I need to get some mayo made, or I may never eat another egg again! I can eat one at a time, but three just isn't happening. Since I know that now, I'll plan differently from here on out. Whaddya know, I CAN be taught!  :P

Day 5:

M1 Chicken, pepper & pineapple stir fry

M2 Meat sauce over spaghetti squash

M3 Chicken, peppers, & avocado

I'm ok with the lack of variety while I'm at my daughter's house. When I get back home, it'll be back to "normal!"

Day...what day even is this??...6? That's what we'll go with. 

M1: Leftover meat sauce over mashed cauliflower (made with coconut milk and clarified butter)

M2: Grass fed ground beef patties, homemade coleslaw w/ ACV and olive oil, sweet potato with coconut milk

M3: Chicken, peppers & avocado - a rerun from last night, and one that I will be having regularly, yum!

I'm still very surprised at my lack of cravings. Not minding that at all! And not thinking much about food between meals, I wasn't expecting that till later in the month, if at all. So far, lots of good thing seem to be happening along with some discomfort. I'm excited to see how the rest of the month plays out!

Day 7!

M1: Eggs, shredded carrots, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato w/ coconut milk

M2: Chili, couple closed handfuls cashews (glad I bought raw, unsalted ones...not terribly tempting!)

M3: Ground beef, shredded cabbage, cherry tomatoes, orange pepper, avocado

I'm enjoying sauteing meat and veggies with a bunch of seasonings, and topping the whole mess with avocado. Easy, fast, and really tasty! I wonder if I might be eating too much though. I think I should up my veggies and maybe not have so much protein. And need to get some greens in there!!

Day 8! I am into week 2 and still going strong.

M1: Eggs, shredded carrots, cherry tomatoes, orange peppers with EVOO

M2: Salad: Greens, cukes, shredded carrots, couple Tbsp chopped cashews, chicken breast, EVOO & balsamic

M3: Ground beef patty, roasted green beans w/ EVOO and some clarified butter, roasted sweet potato with coconut oil

M3 leftovers for M1 tomorrow, but they won't be quite as good heated in the microwave at work. Still, it's all ready to go, and that's a big point in its favor!  :D

Day 9!

M1: Leftover beef patty, roasted green beans (evoo), roasted sweet potato (coconut oil), 1/2 avocado

M2: Chili, 1/2 avocado

M3: Salad w/ HB eggs, celery w/ almond butter

Food choices were really uninspired today... But I felt good all day, so yay for that!

Day 13!

M1: Eggs with spinach, peppers & tomatoes in ghee

M2: Brunch casserole, raw veggies, fresh fruit

M2.5: Almond butter, handful of raw, unsalted cashews (forgot to put the meat in the brunch casserole, so protein was seriously lacking at M2!)

M3: Sausage, peppers & tomatoes, cooked in EVOO and ghee

Tough afternoon... Got way too hungry and almost went off the rails! Luckily, there isn't anything in the house to eat that would have been appealing to me in that state. Good thing...

Day 14!

M1: Leftover brunch casserole (amazing how much better it tasted with the chicken Italian sausage that I forgot yesterday!!)

M2: Spaghetti squash with meat sauce & peppers

M3: Cashew chicken salad w/ EVOO/ACV dressing

Archived