Early Breakfast Question

JulieAnn

Hello! I am fairly new to the Whole30. My start date is October 1, but I have been eating Whole30 compliant with a few cheats here and there for the past month, and ready to go cheat-free on October 1!

My question is regarding breakfast. I HAVE to eat breakfast, and I am somewhat challenged by my work schedule. Starting tomorrow, I get up around 5:30 a.m., go to the gym to help teach a boot camp class from 7-8:30 a.m., and then head in to my full-time job at 9:00 a.m. I spend the half hour between 8:30 and 9:00 driving. I eat pretty much right when I get up for work, but then hungry by 10:30-11:00 a.m. I know there is no snacking on the Whole30 plan, and I have been great with that so far, but with my hours changing, I am not sure I have an option. I want to avoid nuts and fruit, and don't want to cheat.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Julie

Grazing like an antelope all day long (eating every 2 hours, all day, every day) is not encouraged because of the effect it has on your hormones, but with a wonky schedule like yours, eating four meals (or three meals and a snack) is perfectly healthy. Make your snacks into smaller meals, trying to incorporate a small amount of protein, carbs from veggies and/or fruit, and healthy fats. And if a snack at 10:30 AM isn't enough, then eat a meal then - which may mean you eat four meals a day. Lucky you! With a long day like yours, that may be called for.

Also, just to clarify, meal size, timing, or snacking are NOT part of the Whole30 rules. We make general recommenations, but these are just for general health, not related to the Whole30.

Best,

Melissa

Thank you so much, Melissa! I also am in the gym 4 days/week, which will make things even more tricky. I want to avoid all day eating, as that is what I was previously doing. I was eating 6 small meals each day (which include processed foods, protein bars, protein shakes--all foods that would spike my insulin), and never felt full. I will definitely incorporate a second meal at around 10:30 a.m. and move my lunch to around 1 p.m. to see if that helps.

What is your favorite quick protein-filled snack that is on the go?

Archived