Made it to day 30, and I'm going to keep going

Kelly2612

I made it to the end of my first Whole 30, and I've been thinking for several days about what to do next. Overall, I had very positive effects from the 30 days-- My neck and back are no longer achy, I sleep much more soundly at night, I have more even energy during the day, I don't feel blood sugar spikes and crashes, I don't feel ravenously hungry, my fingernails are really healthy and strong, and I lost 8 pounds. 

There have been some things that haven't been awesome though.

• I'm a runner and I haven't figured out how to fuel appropriately for my workouts. My progress has plateaued. I usually run shortly before dinner time, and haven't been getting an extra meal in because of that. 

• I have celiac disease, so I was already completely gluten free (and have been for 7 years). I have been noticing other digestive symptoms (burping, gurgling stomach, bloating) for years, and I was hoping they'd disappear on the whole 30, but no such luck. I'm hoping they're not just a permanent part of my life, because getting a proper diagnosis at the doctor about that seems like it will take dozens of appointments and be a nightmare. Autoimmune diseases  :angry: 

• I'm still having sugar cravings. I am a sugar addict, and I'm pretty sure that I can't ever do sugar in moderation. This is the main reason that I'm going to carry on with Whole30 eating. I've been eating fruit whenever I have a craving, and I know that I'm just continuing the craving cycle when I do that. 

So I'm going to turn my Whole 30 into a Whole 45. I'm going to stop feeding my sugar cravings. At all. I'm still going to eat fruit during the day, but not as a response to a craving. The last thing I'm going to do is make a point of drinking at least 100 oz of water a day (I am 5'5 and 150 pounds). I have been falling far short of that, and I think that it will help me feel a lot better overall. I think these things will hopefully be key to really doing this right!

• I have celiac disease, so I was already completely gluten free (and have been for 7 years). I have been noticing other digestive symptoms (burping, gurgling stomach, bloating) for years, and I was hoping they'd disappear on the whole 30, but no such luck. I'm hoping they're not just a permanent part of my life, because getting a proper diagnosis at the doctor about that seems like it will take dozens of appointments and be a nightmare. Autoimmune diseases  :angry: 

• I'm still having sugar cravings. I am a sugar addict, and I'm pretty sure that I can't ever do sugar in moderation. This is the main reason that I'm going to carry on with Whole30 eating. I've been eating fruit whenever I have a craving, and I know that I'm just continuing the craving cycle when I do that. 

So I'm going to turn my Whole 30 into a Whole 45. I'm going to stop feeding my sugar cravings. At all. I'm still going to eat fruit during the day, but not as a response to a craving. The last thing I'm going to do is make a point of drinking at least 100 oz of water a day (I am 5'5 and 150 pounds). I have been falling far short of that, and I think that it will help me feel a lot better overall. I think these things will hopefully be key to really doing this right!

Wow! first off congrats!! second off, dont be too hard on yourself, you did 30 days of clean eating and look at the results you got!! Id say it was a success.

I too have an autoimmune disease. I will be attempting different diets following the whole30. There are so many out there! But I have my sights set on the SCD.

And like you I am a sugar a.d.d.i.c.t. I am doing exactly what you did - eat fruit to satisfy cravings. It is. so hard. ;( what are you gonna do in the next 15 days to combat it?

I'm going to spend more time thinking about each craving as it arises... try to be conscious of the idea that a craving only lasts 3-5 minutes, and see if I can identify any feelings or emotions that are triggering the craving. I think that being more mindful of what's happening in my head will be a good starting point for resisting the cravings. 

I'm going to spend more time thinking about each craving as it arises... try to be conscious of the idea that a craving only lasts 3-5 minutes, and see if I can identify any feelings or emotions that are triggering the craving. I think that being more mindful of what's happening in my head will be a good starting point for resisting the cravings. 

does it only last 3-5 minutes? mine last for like 30 hahaha

Archived