Minimal4Me's Second W30 (Starts Jan. 4)

Minimal4Me

I'm starting my second W30 Monday. So I'm in planning mode. Cooking up a storm today. Baking a whole chicken. White meat will be set aside for tossing into salads. Dark meat will be set aside for soups. Bones will go into the Instapot to make bone broth for soups..

This week's food plan:

Breakfast: eggs scrambled in ghee or homemade lemongrass-coconut soup

Lunch: salad with chicken, veggies, and creamy italian dressing

http://meljoulwan.com/2011/01/25/tangy-goodness-creamy-italian-dressing

Dinner: Best Chicken You Will Ever Eat & Dipping Sauce with baked potato or sweet potato and broccoli, both with ghee

http://meljoulwan.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/

Snack: deviled egg with homemade mayo

http://meljoulwan.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/

Call out to Mel Joulwan for this week's recipes!

Stuck to the plan - it was a good week. The recipes I cooked up got me through the week. Last night I made Mel's plantains and dipping sauce. What a treat!

Doing a big cook up tomorrow. Baking a chicken, making bone broth, plus homemade meatballs to eat over spaghetti squash with homemade marinara. Tons of veggies.

I don't want to jinx myself but Week 1 was better this time around. No headaches! I had been grain free, dairy free, and sugar free for many months following my first W30. Until the holidays when I allowed cheese and wine. So, it wasn't too too hard to reset myself. At least I hadn't given up the habit of coconut cream in my coffee, so that wasn't a transition this time.

Missing wine tonight, but had a Kombucha as some of you recommended in the Wine thread, and that did the trick. Thank you all for your support.

Jeans are feeling looser!

Here's my grocery list this week if anyone is interested:

Groceries

Spaghetti squash

Basil

Celery

Onion

Carrot

Red pepper

Yellow squash

Zucchini

Sweet potatoes

Potatoes

Broccoli

Plantains

lemons

Limes

Basil

Scallion

Lemongrass

Dry mustard

Cumin

San pellegrino

Coconut water

Coconut cream

Kombucha

Lb ground chicken

Whole chicken

Olive oil

Crushed tomatoes

Plum tomatoes

Eggs

Coffee with coconut cream & Frittata for breakfast, chicken vegetable soup from bone broth for lunch, handful macademias before the gym, coconut water after the gym, spaghetti squash with chicken meatballs in marinara for dinner, tea before bed.

Watching a netflix series where the actors are drinking. Would love a glass of wine of course but doing fine.

Slept very well last night. Didn't wake up until the alarm at 7. Very productive work morning. Made it to the gym. All in all, a very good day.

I'm waking up with good energy. Feeling less mentally cloudy and not so easily frustrated or negative with work issues. Feeling optimistic.

Tonight is book club night. We meet in a restaurant. All the ladies are doing some kind of reset after the holidays, so the restaurant chosen is a healthy one. I've already arranged to share a whole fish, grilled veg, and potatoes with a friend. Called ahead and chef will cook in olive oil if I request. So, yay to that.

It will be very difficult to pass on wine, but I'll order lemon in my water. After the first 10 minutes we will be engrossed in book talk and I will forget all about wine.

It's just 30 days. We can do this!

Today is Day 10. One of the hardest days it is said.

Book club went well last night. The restaurant was very accommodating - cooked the fish and veggies in olive oil, told me the ingredients in the potatoes (compliant! yay!) held the feta on my greek salad. As expected, I missed wine for about the first five minutes, then we started the book discussion and the moment passed.

Did not sleep well - maybe I jinxed myself talking about the "potatoes not prozac" trick in one of the forum posts.

Woke at 2:30 hungry. Made a cup of tea, drank it, went back to sleep. Woke up groggy. Had my scrambled eggs and coffee with coconut cream. For lunch chicken vegetable soup from bone broth.  It's now mid-afternoon and I'm feeling hungry for... something. Will not give into nuts. Even though they are compliant, it's not template to eat them as snacks. This too shall pass.

DH is making dinner tonight. Chicken tacos. He is changing his usual spice mix to be compliant for me. I will have mine over lettuce with salsa and guac. Yum. Looking forward to that.

I can do this.

Did the potato trick last night and slept like a baby.

Woke up before the alarm. Felt hungry so ate breakfast early - 3 eggs scrambled in ghee + coffee with coconut cream.

Not noon yet but I am hungry so eating lunch early. I do not get tired of this chicken meatballs recipe over spaghetti squash:

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/17/chicken-pesto-meatballs-marina/

Here's a pic:

tvZPzQR.jpg

Last night I had dinner with a friend and former co-worker. It was great to catch up with her. I knew it was going to be a challenge to eat out. I had a salad with chicken, avocado and veggies / oil and vinegar. She had soup and a glass of wine. God, that wine looked good!

Toward the end of dinner I was getting very tired. I've been doing physical therapy for my shoulder. As my shoulder heals - it is 90% better now - the workouts have become more challenging. I fell asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow.

I woke up this morning feeling hungry. Today is Day 12. So I'm past the I want to quit days, but this might be the most fatigued I've felt so far. I had good energy in the morning and worked straight through the afternoon, when I stopped for lunch. Then straight back to work. Now it's 4:00 and I really should go run an errand but I'm just too tired.

Tomorrow is grocery shopping so I have to think about what to eat for the week. I'm kind of just tired of food.

I need to do something relaxing. Something that's like a small gift to myself for getting this far. I'm going to go get my hair cut and colored. Just having someone else shampoo it will feel like a luxury today.

Day 13 - This is possibly my hardest day so far on my second W30. So, I felt it coming on yesterday, the deprived feeling after going to dinner with a friend and the only thing on the menu I could have was a salad. No wine. To head it off, I went to the hair salon for a cut and color. But it didn't sooth me the way it sometimes does. I felt very very tired and could barely keep up with chatting to my stylist.

When I got home I ate leftover chicken meatballs and spaghetti squash for dinner. DH was working late. I watched Fargo on Netflix and fell asleep.

I woke up at 4:30 am and was like - wide awake. I read for a few hours, then got up and dressed. I thought I would get a jump on the endless Saturday cook-a-thon by hitting the green market early. It was raining and there was only one grassfed beef stand. They had no short ribs nor prime rib nor any other braising cut, according to a young girl who was manning the table. I had to go through the meats with her because she kept holding up steaks saying "like this"

It put me in a foul mood.

There's another green market nearby that's open on Sundays - larger and they have more meat vendors. But that means putting off cooking until tomorrow. And tomorrow is a short day because we have to meet the in-laws for dinner at 6. I will really want a glass of wine then.

Anyway. Today is Kill All The Things. Day 13 is Kill All The Things for me. That's just my personal timeline I guess. I hope this passes soon.

So, dinner went fine last night. I suggested a greek place that I know. They have no menu, it's fish of the day grilled in olive oil with lemon. We ordered lemon potatoes and grilled veggies for the table - it turned out to be zucchini and bell peppers. I picked the feta out of the salad. I had the salmon and it was delicious. I did miss wine, as predicted. I did not miss the dessert which was some kind of fried dough with honey and cinnamon that everyone said was delish. I'll have to take their word for it. I haven't eaten gluten in four years and I rarely miss those kinds of thing. So, all in all a good night.

This morning I woke before the alarm clock, had coffee, and went to get acupuncture for my frozen shoulder. I'm 90% restored, and hope to get the other 10% in coming weeks by doing my stretches religiously and by working on strengthening the shoulder muscles when I'm at the gym. It's been 3 months of physical therapy and acupuncture and I'm so relieved that we were able to prevent surgery. 

I feel pretty good today. Like I could maybe do a Whole40. 

Cooking bone broth in the pressure cooker. It smells delicious.

Archived