Gelatine

Nancy   H.

I'm still not sure if gelatin is allowed or not??

On another thread, a user posted this chart  which says that gelatin ALWAYS has MSG.  However, I buy my gelatin from Great Lakes and they say it has no MSG. My organic chemistry classes are too far behind me to sort this one out. I'd love to keep using though, so can anyone give a definitive answer?

```

Here's what Robin said about my post about hidden MSG

Sassy- while that list is helpful, especially for those with sensitivity to MSG, we don't consider it a scientific enough source to base your Whole30 around. If you'd rather avoid, that's totally cool, but unless something SAYS it contains MSG we don't expect you to read into it.

```

so technically it's allowed.  Personally, I avoid it because it gives me headaches and to me, food manufacturers are being sneaky by calling free glutamic acid by other names and I don't like it and don't buy their products.  Or, I try hard not to.  Sometimes it happens though :(

We use it for the whole family (us and the dogs!) mainly for joint support. It's good mixed with broth or fruit puree or honey (off Whole 30) to make jello cubes that taste WAY better than the boxed stuff. It's also good as a thickening agent instead of corn starch. 

Guest Annie B

I am BIG believer in Gelatin! Have been supplementing my diet for about 3 or 4 years now with Great Lakes Gelatin products. For blood sugar balance (my biggie) as well as gut health. It was traditionally used to treat diabetes, prior to insulin based 'treatment'. And it is extremely beneficial for thyroid health. I do also make broths, chicken and beef, a few times a month (which gives you the gelatin/collagen and many other nutrients) but the powdered gelatin is soooooo easy and travels well. I also like it in my coffee. Yay gelatin!

• 1 year later...

I add 1 tablespoon or more gelatin to my meatloaf or meat ball recipes. It makes them very tender and juicy. Plus it adds many benefits of bone broth, I think. Does anyone know more about the benefits of gelatin?

Archived