Jo's First Whole30 Log

jomillie

Day 0! (well technically the early morning hours of Day 1)

I'm trying Whole30 because I have a terrible relationship with food. Food, especially sugary, fatty, salty foods are my go to stress reliever. Over the last 5 years I have gained 60lbs due to poor eating and exercising habits. I have no energy and often feel self conscious about my weight and choices. I'm taking back control!

In addition to being more aware of my food choices, during Whole30 I want to practice meal planning so healthy eating becomes part of my routine (plan on Sunday; shop on Monday), improve my cooking skills (try 10 new recipes) and get more use out of the beautiful cooking tools that collecting dust in my kitchen.

I anticipate the most challenging food situations to be after long workdays and during social gatherings.

I shared my goals with my mom and three friends. My mom was inspired to order the book for herself and will be joining me on this journey! And my friends have made plans to have Whole30 compliant dinners at least once a week with me.

Today I did my meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking for the first few days. Even though it literally took all evening, the fridge and pantry are brimming with delicious, whole foods and the few recipes I prepared tonight have put me at ease about the rest of the program. All the dishes were easy to make and taste fantastic.

I couldn't be more excited about the next 30 days and beyond!!

Good luck!!!!  I totally understand!!  I did the Whole30 for the first time in January, and the meal planning / eating out was truly such a struggle.  And then forcing myself not to over-consume on fruit and meat as a means of satisfying my stress in a Whole30 compliantish way.  Stay strong!!  The meal planning truly gets better, and you'll get really good at it during the end!  It's also fun and delicious - you'll realize all the crap restaurants and food companies put in things we buy!

Day 1 done & done!

B - Chia Seed Pudding, 1/4 Spinach Fritatta, Apple, Black Coffee

L - Protein Salad w/Chicken on greens with a little herb vinaigrette & Apple

S - lemon ginger tea

D - Italian Ground Beef, Spaghetti Squash and Tomato Sauce

I have to say the first day on Whole30 was pretty fun. Everything I prepared was filling and I found myself drinking more water than I normally do.

Celebrations

• I skipped my afternoon cup of coffee today
  • The baker from Ace of Cakes came to my office today and I did not try any of the pastries  <-- this was tough

Spent a second night slaving away in the kitchen but it feels like it's worth it. Ready for day 2!

Day 2!

B - Chia Seed Pudding, 1/4 Spinach Fritatta, Black Coffee

L - Protein Salad w/Chicken on greens with a little herb vinaigrette

D - Roasted Chicken, Roasted Potatoes & Green Cabbage Salad

D - Grapes

I had a dinner party tonight! One of my Whole30 supporters came over for dinner and we had a delicious compliant meal. I may still be riding high on the first few days of the program but I'm feeling very optimistic about this journey and beyond. There have been a few moments of temptations like the office candy jar that's in view of my desk and turning down sparkling wine during a celebration today but that's ok. Feeling good, feeling great.

Celebrations

• I LOVE frittata!! I've always hated eggs and was concerned about good sources of protein while on the program but I don't think that'll be a problem.

LOL, the hit by the truck is perfectly normal!  It looks like you have a great support system during the Whole30! That makes a huge difference.  My mom and hsuband are both doing this with me (well my husband is more Whole29 1/2).  He still puts a little sugar in his coffee, but hey it is progress.  Sounds like you are really prepared.  Just know that the crappy days are few and far between - the great days far outweigh them.  I am on Day 12 of my second round of Whole30 and I still have days where I just want to crawl under a rock and die.  LOL!  But for the most part I feel really good!  Good luck to you on your journey!

Ok Day 3...you've been a doozy.

B - Spinach Fritatta, Black Coffee, Apple

L - Italian Ground Beef, Spaghetti Squash and Tomato Sauce

S - Larabar

D - Garlic Shrimp with Zoodles, Chia Seed Pudding and Berries

I feel like I'm having a textbook Whole30. Felt terrible all day like a cold was coming on. Late afternoon cravings for popcorn, thai food and candy. Perhaps getting on a more regular schedule of eating will help. Did not really time my meals out today and I'm not drinking enough water.

Celebrations

• Did not succumb to cravings even though at one point I was telling myself, "Well it's only 2 days in, you could indulge and start over."

Day 4 & 5

My major takeaway for the last two days is that I need to get on a regular schedule of eating. I didn't plan my meals well on Friday & Saturday and I found myself stuck in Ikea at 8pm without any food. I held off until I got home but I need to plan better.

Day 4

L - Green Cabbage Salad with Chicken

D - Green Cabbage Salad with Chicken

S - Roasted Potatos

Drinks: Turmeric Tea

Day 5

B - Spinach Fritatta & Chia Seed Pudding, Black Coffee

L - Larabar, Coffee

D - Grapes

Drinks: Turmeric Tea

Celebrations

• I used to make WingStop my go to "reward" after a big shopping trip. I drove right past.
  • Found a Starburst in the car...had to actively remind myself "you are not allowed to have that" and I moved on. It makes me more aware how mindlessly I eat sugar and empty calories.
  • I went to a party and club sober.

Day 6!!

it already feels like I've been doing Whole30 forever...in a good way.

B - Spinach Fritatta, Black Coffee, Apple

L - Chia Seed pudding, grapes

D - Grilled Harissa Chicken Thighs, Roasted Veggies, Salad & orange slices

Drinks: Ginger Tea

Celebrations

• A friend invited me over for an impromptu dinner and we were able to make it Whole30 compliant without too much hassle. Yay!

Days 7-9:

I went to a conference the last few days and was presented with numerous food challenges: 

• how to eat while traveling
  • how to avoid/eat around conference provided meals, networking happy hours, etc
  • how to eat out at a restaurant when the menu is set and pre-paid
  • how to field questions about my diet

I'm happy to say I preserved!! ...which is probably the wrong word because it didn't feel that difficult. Honestly the most challenging part was answering people's questions in a way that was informative without being evangelical about the program or self-pitying. A lot people were unintentionally telling me how to feel (oh that must be hard, i don't want to eat this in front of you or i can't imagine not having alcohol!). It really helped that I felt great. Sure was it inconvenient that I couldn't serve myself the amazing dishes that were put in front of me or get free drinks but I had time and I was focused on that instead of food. It feels so good to say that. I was focused on the experience instead the food.

I'm really enjoying this program and having some friends over another Whole30 inspired meal tonight. It's really helped me connect in a new way to my family and community. Mom is on day 2!!

Celebrations

• Packed a cooler of 6 meals for my conference like it was no biggie!
  • Ordered around a set menu with strangers
  • Ordered out for the first time at a restaurant of my choice

• 2 weeks later...

The last 10 days have been pretty good. I had another Whole30 dinner with a friend and have stuck on plan while in inconvenient situations. I even ate at a BBQ restaurant.

I've been getting pretty lazy about planning though and often find myself up a creek or with low blood sugar. I'm still not getting the sleep, energy and tiger blood benefits but I'm amazingly clear headed about stuff recently.

Also I've been having crazy sugar cravings and I'm kinda over this. I want to quit but I've come so far. keep on chugging....

Day 18 Meals

B - black coffee

L - leftover salad with grilled chicken, oranges, frittata

S - shrimp & veggies

D - 1/2 steak, carmalized onions, tomato soup (x2 bowls) with berries

Archived