LJG Food log

LJG

I am on day 19 and just discovering this part of the site. I post often and communicate with others in the Starting Setpember 10 forum, but thought I would start tracking my meals. overall I feel ok, but haven't really noticed much difference in areas that others that started the same day have been experiencing. Many feel much more calm and clear headed. Higher energy, etc. I pretty much feel the same in all those areas. I mainly started this journey to try to alleviate the joint pain in my hips that mysteriously appeared after suddently having premature ovarian failure in the spring. I have always been an active person and tried to always eat "healthy" (which for me was a low calorie/low fat diet, not really caring about ingredients, just the calories and fat grams - lots of lean cuisine meals in my past). So this has been a big change. I felt so guilty in the beginning eating the big hunks of red meat and felt like I was constantly wearing chapstick as my lips have been covered in all the fat! I have definitely noticed an improvement in my body composition and I know I have lost weight, which to me was very counterintuitive given my calorie intake must be so much higher! I am never hungry during meals and never feel the need to snack. The meat and the fats are definitely filling me up! Anyway, I digress.... The pain in my hips is still very much present so I am hopeful that my magic will still happen and it will lessen so I can be back on the road running...

Food Day 18:

Meal 1 - black coffee, egg, veggie, and bacon caserole (from an approved recipe)

Meal 2 - pumkin chilli (from an approved recipe) and a peach

Meal 3 - salmon cooked in coconut oil, sweet potato, and a plum

Food Day 19:

Meal 1 - black coffee, 2 hardboiled eggs, broccoli (an hour after breakfast, feel sick to my stomach)

I also forgot to add from the medical issues in the spring, I now have a series of medicine I have to take. It is crazy, but it never dawned on me to look to see if there are any ingredient issues. I will have to look into that tonight... Two are over the counter vitamins the doctor ordered (2 Citracal D daily and a multi-vitamin), the others are various hormones and a vitamin D capsule (50,000 IU once a week).

Hi Nancy - I got the recipe for the pumpkin chili through a link on this site somewhere... but you can go directly to the site at whatigather.com. You will see the recipe for paleo pumpkin chili on the right.

Day 19 Meals 2 and 3:

Meal 2 - leftovers! remaining pumkin chili and some chicken with lettuce and tomato, a yummy peach

Meal 3 - chicken curry - delicious!

I came home tonight to research medicine ingredients. As I mentioned earlier, I am taking various meds and low and behold, I think I have a problem.

Citrical D - calcium carbonate, calcium citrate, magnesium hydroxide, acacia, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, crocarmellose sodium, magnesium silcate, titanium dixide (color), propylene glycol dicaprylate/dicaprate, magnesium sterate, inulin (oligofructose enriched), vitamin D3 (chlocaliferol)

My centrum Ultra womens contains what seems like 100 ingredients. At the end, it says Contains SOY

My vitamin D2 50,000 units does not include any ingredient information

My progesterone does not include ingredients but it says DO NOT TAKE IF ALLERGIC TO SOY OR PEANUT PRODUCTS

My Premarin also does not include ingredients but there are not peanut/soy warnings.

I know WHOLE30 says doctors orders trump and they put me on all these meds back in the spring, but what should I do???

Could this be why I really haven't experienced any "life changing" results? I am on Day 19 and really was hoping to get rid of my joint pain in my hips. Ugh! Will I not be able to do a true Whole30 while taking these meds????

Day 20

Meal 3 - salad with shrimp, tomatoes, handful of cashews

Day 21

Meal 1 - 2 Eggs over easy, peach

Meal 2 - salad with shrimp, tomatoes, handful of cashews

Ran 2.6 miles, walked .4 - very slow (11.0 average) and painful after in my hips

Meal 3 - Butter chicken (Tom's recipe), and fried green tomatoes

Hi LJG! Did you ever get an answer re: the Rx products you're taking? I'm very curious as well. Keep up the great work and don't get discouraged if you're not seeing "life-changing" results. Some issues take more than 30 days to work out so don't lose heart :)

Hi Maggie - I haven't gotten a response. I think I am going to move my question to the troubleshooting forum to see if one of the moderators has some advice. I believe I have arthritis (one doc suggested that was my problem but I haven't gone back to my other doc to confirm - I have an appointment next Monday). I searched thoroughly this morning on joint pain. It is funny... Some people's joint pain has been completely relieved through elimination of sugar and grains. I am positive I haven't had any of those in the past 22 days. Others say they have to eliminate nightshades (I didn't know what those were until I googled and they are tomatoes, peppers, potatoes), really, the veggies I love!!! There is a lot on the internet about "nightshades" and the impact on those with arthritis.

If I had to bet, the amount of soy in my vitamins and Rx probably isn't causing the paid. It is always present, but is very sore if I go for a mild run. It really is crazy... I had no issues up until late April. Then suddenly went through "Premature Ovarian Failure" (apparently what they call "the change" if it happens before you are 40) and now have all kinds of problems. They did extensive testing to rule out causes such as cancer, adrenall issues, etc., but never found the culprit. One of my hormones has soy in it, along with the multi vitamin they told me to take. Among other things, they did a bone density scan on me, and I have lost 25% density throughout and 35% in my hips. I asked if that was why I was having such sudden hip pain, and my OB said it was probably arthritis. Ugh. Just wish I could figure it out and enjoy my runs again. It does magic for the soul :)

Day 22

Meal 1 - breakfast casserole with ground beef, squash, zucchini, red bell pepper

Meal 2 - final serving of my chicken curry

Meal 3 - more breakfast casserole (I made a whole 13x9 of it, so I will be eating it all week!)

Day 23

Meal 1 - two eggs, over easy

Meal 2 - butter chicken, banana

I received a few responses to my inquiry on the troubleshooting site. My plan is to eat the yummy food containing nightshades that I cooked all weekend (the butter chicken, breakfast casserole, sweet potatoes) and then eliminate nightshades for 3-4 weeks to see if I notice any relief. I am sure my doctor will give me another Rx on Monday, but will not plan to take it unless it seems that the nightshade elimination does not help at all. I will also plan to talk to her about replacing my other Rx with one without Soy/Peanuts and make sure the current one does not include any of these non W30 compliant ingredients. Here's to the potential of an awesome, pain-free run in 40 days!!!

Day 23

Meal 3 - breakfast casserole, blueberries, fried green tomatoes

Day 24

Meal 1 - breakfast casserole, plum

Meal 2 - salad with shrimp, cashews and dried raspberries, banana

Meal 3 - butter chicken

Hi Nancy - It was the easiest thing ever and they were scrumptious! I used almond meal/flour (on the compliant "what to stock your pantry with" list). I bought it but had never used it. It says it is for thickening soups, etc., or battering meat veggies. All I did was pour some on a plate, slice my green tomatoes (from my 11 year old son's garden that still have yet to turn orange), lay the tomatoes in the almond flour on both sides to coat, and drop them into some coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. They cooked pretty quickly so be careful to not let them burn. I added salt and pepper and that was it. I also was able to warm them up over the next few days in the toaster oven and they still tasted quite yummy.

Enjoy!

Day 25??? Really???

This really has been easy and I have not been focused on the number of days at all over the past week.

Meal 1 - Yes, more leftover breakfast casserole and an apple

Meal 2 - Yes, more leftover butter chicken and a banana

I slept quite well last night, only waking up once in the middle of the night. I feel very rested today and happy happy happy (despite the insanity of quarter end close at work)

Day 26

Meal 3 - 2 burgers, tomato, pickle, stir fry veggies

For the first time in my life, I slept almost 7 straight hours last night. No getting up to use the restroom or turning to check the clock. I laid down and was immediately out and woke in the same position. I then went back to sleep for a few more hours, but it sure felt fantastic!

Day 27

Meal 1 - 2 eggs over easy, strawberries

Meal 2 - Ground beef and all kinds of grilled together with some mayo. So incredibly good!!!! I think I overdid it, though, I am still full hours later!

Meal 3 - salmon salad with lettuce and tomatoes

Day 28

Meal 1 - 2 hardboiled eggs, strawberries

Meal 2 - Leftovers from my lunch yesterday - ground beef meal

Meal 3 - salmon salad, 1/2 sweet potato, fruit

I went to my mom's for the first time since about the 2nd week. I was extremely tempted by all the candy and goodies around. It really was tougher today than any other day. I think the fall weather makes me think more of food too. We went to a pumpkin patch and picked up some apple cider. It sure looked good as my family all drank it! Then brownies, pumpkin Reese cups at my moms, candy corn. I also would have really loved a glass of wine. I have almost made it to 30 days and hate to do this, but maybe I will have a day of eating a few beloved items and drink a glass of wine before heading into my next whole 30 (where I cut out nightshades and eggs). Or maybe by tomorrow all this temptation will pass and I will feel strong again.

All the holidays are going to be difficult. It seems a holiday gives everyone a reason to splurge with food. there must be something abut a "special" day that makes us want to feed everyone with all the "good" stuff we don't have around the rest of the year. I know this Thanksgiving and Christmas will be hard for me. These past three weeks have been relatively easy, but then there have been no family gatherings. You are so strong to avoid all the things around you. You can surely go the rest of the way.

Day 29

Meal 1 - Egg & ground beef casserole, banana

Meal 2- Leftover ground beef and veggie mix, mixed fruit salad

I went to my doctor today as a follow up to my Ovarian Failure issues back in the spring. I wanted to check on the meds, talk about the hip pain, and get her input on the W30 program. I was a little disappointed that she wasn't more interested in the W30 program and felt like she considered it negative without hearing too much about it. I brought information and mentioned that I had it, but she didn't seem to want it. She also didn't think I should eliminate eggs and nightshades b/c she thought I wouldn't be getting the right nutrients. When I talked about the soy in my medicine and that I was supposed to eliminate soy on this program, she didn't comment. I think by that point I felt defeated on the merits of this program and didn't come right out and ask her if there were alternative meds. She did say that if I was going to see change from my diet on any inflamation in my body, I would have to do the program for at least 3 months. So I am feeling a bit conflicted after my doctor visit. I had some blood drawn to check my Vitamin D levels and then she ordered an x-ray to check what is going on with my hips. So now I just have to find a location that works with my insurance, oh joy...

Day 29 Meal 3 - salmon salad, 1/2 sweet potato

DAY 30!!!!

Meal 1 - Last bit of my breakfast casserole - need to finish my eggs today as beginning day 31, I am eliminating those and nighshades

Meal 2 - Hamburger, grilled veggies (finishing the peppers and tomatoes), 1/2 sweet potato (hoping to give running a shot tonight) - my plan is to begin to number the pain I have each day on a scale of 1 to 10 so I can determine this plan of elimination is working

Meal 3 - 2 hardboiled eggs, grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato

So to wrap up my first W30, I am sleeping more soundly (but still getting up 1-2 times per night), I lost 9 pounds effortlessly! and while I didn't measure before, I am sure I lost inches. I am also enjoying my food a lot more and feeling overall better about what I consume. I am continuing on without a defined time table but begin my elimination of eggs and nightshades this morning. I started a new thread for my "New Adventure" at the following link:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/3868-lauries-new-adventure-w31/

Archived