Starting March 13th - heal celiac damage

JenSt

I was diagnosed with celiac disease just after Christmas. The diagnosis was a complete surprise as I did not have any significant digestive symptoms. My anemia had gotten a lot worse and when I told my doctor that iron supplements didn't help she decided to test for a wide variety of other possible causes. And it turned out to be celiac disease. I have been able to cut gluten out of my diet without too much trouble. However, I have started to gain weight. I am assuming that as my small intestine is healing, I'm absorbing more of the calories that I'm eating. I am hoping that the Whole30 will jump start my metabolism. I also hope it will help reduce inflamation and give my body an opportunity to heal faster. I believe my celiac disease has been active for more than 30 years since I started having trouble with anemia in my teens. I have read that people who have been diagnosed with celiac after it has been active a long time may not completely heal. I am hoping the Whole30 can make a difference and give my body the best chance to heal completely.

Best of luck, I think you have chosen wisely with this plan!

My mom was diagnosed with celiac at age 76. Imagine that. She was anemic as well, with osteopenia and bad joints. She never had a digestive problem, ever. It was found accidentally while she was being scoped for another reason that I've forgotten. She mentioned as well that she gained weight after he stopped eating gluten.

I am starting on the 14th myself. I just need to get my appetite for sugar under control. It's an addiction I have not been able to conquer.

Hi!

Good luck with the celiac healing! Good for you that your doc is open to doing the tests ! Do you already feel better after cutting out the gluten (except for the weight gain)?

I'm also starting today. Have been eating mostly pleo for the last year (gluten free) but hve been falling off the wagon lately. I have had an inflammation in my spinal cord last year, which is quite likely to be a first MS attack. Had a severe deficiency in vitamin D, but it seems to be better now with supplements. Doing this whole30 mostly to get on the wagon again amd hopefully avoid more MS things from starting, to feel fit, and if possible to loose some weight.

Archived