My first Whole 30! April 1 start

LA_fe

Oh man, after weeks of hemming and hawing, I'm finally doing this! I'm a bit apprehensive, but so, so excited :). I'm hoping that maintaining an online log will keep me accountable and help me notice any trends in my health. 

So why Whole30? Something needs to change in my life. I'm not overweight or visibly unhealthy, but I want to feel better. I'm 28 years old and shouldn't feel this tired, foggy, bloated, and sniffly. I'm sick of feeling like a lazy passenger of my own life; I want to take back control, and I believe a good place to start is by choosing to fuel myself with clean and healthy food. 

If I drop a few pounds, lose the headaches, and gain some energy in the process, all the better!

Stats as of 3/31, the day before W1D1:

weight: 143 (though 3 lbs of that is probably water weight, because yay periods)

emotions: stressed

skin: hormonal acne on jawline. blotchy. 

pains: headache, mild throat irritation (mucous?), dull ache in left hip

energy (1-10 scale): 4

sleep: good. I wake up sporadically, but that's pretty common for me. 

Welcome! My family and I are starting our second whole30 tomorrow too. I need more energy to chase a rather rambunctious two year old all day. Glad to have you here with us and hope you get some really great results from your whole30! Best of luck!

Day 1

Starting on the Friday of a busy work week while your family is in town is probably not the best time to jump into Whole30, but oh well. I didn't have time to do any major shopping before today, so I just had to throw together meals from whatever I could find at the grocery store before work. I think I made it work. Doing all my shopping and meal prepping this weekend!

Woke up and had herbal tea. 

M1: 2 hard boiled eggs with hot sauce, prosciutto, 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, 1/2 avocado

M2: epic bar, 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, banana with almond butter

snack: carrots and guac, prosciutto

M3: sweet potato and mushroom hash cooked in olive oil w/ two fried eggs

emotions: is busy an emotion lol?.

pains: some mucous, dull ache in left hip

energy (1-10 scale): 6

Day 1 in the bag!

Day 2

coffee with turmeric, ginger, cloves, and compliant almond milk

M1: 2 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, banana with almond butter, carrot sticks with guac

M2: ground turkey/apple/mushroom skillet meal (omg so good), roast broccoli

sparkling water with lime

M3: Planning on having spaghetti squash with compliant sauce and ground turkey, roast broccoli on the side

So far, so good! I'm usually a grazer, so not snacking is definitely strange for me, but it's not uncomfortable. No Day 2 hangover!

Day 3

M1: ground turkey/apple/mushroom skillet meal, banana with almond butter, turmeric coffee with compliant almond milk

snack: apple

M2: rotisserie chicken, pecans (dropped the ball a little here with no veggies, but I was caught out and about and it was the best I could do)

M3: pulled pork, roast Brussels sprouts, sweet potato

Exercise: easy 3-mile hike

Post-Day 3 check-in 

weight: who knows? 

emotions: Less anxiety, but that's probably due to the fact my crazy deadline week at work is finally over. 

skin: my hormonal pimples have cleared up, but that's about right for my ... ahem ... cycle. 

pains: still a little phlegmy in the mornings, but no headaches (!). My hip got achey a few times during yesterday's hike. I woke up this morning feeling a little bloated, but I think it might be because I've been eating so much salt. My protein has been a lot of prosciutto, sausage, and pulled pork, and I I put sea salt on my roasted veggies. Going to scale back on the salt intake and hope that helps. 

energy (1-10 scale): 5-6

sleep: Pretty good. The first two nights I slept great, but last night was a little fitful. I woke up with enough energy to get right out of bed though. 

Day 4

Iced coffee with complaint almond milk

M1: sweet potato w/ dollop coconut cream, pecans, and cinnamon. Pulled pork. strawberries.

Kombucha (it was on sale at Sprouts and so so good!)

Snack:strawberries and pecans

M2: Pulled pork and guac (mmmmmm), carrots, snap peas, 1/2 banana with almond butter

M3: sweet potato noodles, ground turkey, compliant tomato sauce

Looking at today's diet, I know I'm eating too much starch and fruit, and not enough greens. 

That said, I felt fantastic today! I had so much energy this morning, and even though it waned a bit around 3 pm, I was still miles ahead of where I usually am on a Monday, energy-wise. I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong with my meals since I haven't felt any of the negative effects I expected to at this point. 

TMI maybe, but I'm also peeing A LOT. 

Day 5

M1: 2 eggs scrambled and compliant hot dog, roast broccoli

coffee with coconut cream

handful pecans

M2: pork with guac, sugar snap peas

grapes and prosciutto

M3: balsamic chicken and mushrooms over mixed greens and grapes

Day 6

Dang, I forgot to log the day's meals. For M3, I had pulled pork with guac and balsamic roasted Brussels sprouts, but that's all I remember. 

I do know that I'm snacking too much and should cut down on the nuts and fruit. 

weight: no clue

emotions: stressed, spacey

skin: pretty good, but not glowing or anything

pains: nothing remarkable

energy (1-10 scale): 3-4; I haven't been sleeping well, and the energy buzz from days 2 and 3 is gone :(

sleep: I haven't had a solid restful sleep the last few nights :(

Day 7

M1: 2 fried eggs and hot dog on top of mixed greens with vinaigrette

kombucha and coffee

M2: prosciutto, mashed sweet potato with coconut cream and cinnamon, snap peas

M3: salmon, guac-covered mixed greens (this meal was so good)

M4: bowl of banana, 2 eggs, flaked coconut 1/4 apple, and almond butter (I really shouldn't have eaten this ... it was probably more about comfort than hunger)

Day 8

M1: 3 scrambled eggs, baked sweet potato, 1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes

kombcha, coffee with coconut cream

M2: pork carnitas with guac and pico over mixed greens

M3: salmon over mixed greens and guac, roast broccoli

You're doing great! I have almost the exact same starting point as you - headaches, tiredness, pimples, and even weight. I previously (like a week ago) made it to day 8 but then ruined it. Even by Day 8 I noticed clearer skin and more energy. I just restarted yesterday, so I'm excited to follow your journey!

Have you noticed anything different lately?

Thanks for the encouragement, schimki! As of this morning, my energy buzz is back! It looks like the days I've had a sweet potato and coffee with coconut milk for breakfast give me the most energy, so I'll be sticking with that combo. Other things I've noticed: I feel leaner, I'm full between most meals and have less desire to snack, and food just tastes better. All wins :). I can't believe I've gone eight days without a bread product or sugar; I don't know if that's happened .... ever. 

Best of luck with the restart!

M3: Banana cooked in coconut oil with pecans and coconut flakes

M4: fried egg, compliant hot dog, roast brussels sprouts and broccoli

Some not-so-fun skin issues cropped up. My legs are suuuuper itchy and blotchy, and I have bumps on the back of my arms and on my cheeks :-/. My legs could be attributed to a new razor I used, but the bumpy arms and face are pretty discouraging. I get the occasional hormonal pimple, but this isn't that. My face just feels rough in patches. Hoping it's a purging period and the bumps (zits?) disappear soon. 

I really need to do better at sticking to the template, and limiting the fruits, nuts, and salty meats I eat. 

Day 10

M1: steak, two fried eggs, sweet potato hash, coffee w/ coconut cream

some berries as a snack

M2: salmon over greens and guac

I know, I know ... only two meals. I just felt so full and bloated after M1, and wasn't hungry at all until M2. 

Day 11

M1: sweet potato w/ coconut cream and cinnamon, epic bar, lara bar 

M2: pork carnitas over mixed greens and guac

M3: TBD

Arms and legs are no longer itchy—glad that seemed to be a one-off

Some not-so-fun skin issues cropped up. My legs are suuuuper itchy and blotchy, and I have bumps on the back of my arms and on my cheeks :-/. My legs could be attributed to a new razor I used, but the bumpy arms and face are pretty discouraging. I get the occasional hormonal pimple, but this isn't that. My face just feels rough in patches. Hoping it's a purging period and the bumps (zits?) disappear soon. 

I really need to do better at sticking to the template, and limiting the fruits, nuts, and salty meats I eat. 

The itchy could be hives. Did you do anything this day that may have caused you to come into contact with something you're allergic too? I've had that happen before and it's contact dermatitis. I normally put some lavender on the areas or take a benadryl and it clears right up. 

One of the reasons you probably aren't having sugar cravings is because you are eating sweet stuff. A lara bar could be a substitute for the snacks you would normally have. I had to give up all nuts and fruit because they were being used as a substitute for sugar and I wasn't actually changing my relationship with that food group, I was just substituting something else for the eliminated foods. 

You're absolutely right, tmhamoton1. Even though what I'm eating is technically complaint, I know I haven't really shaken my pre-Whole30 habits. Today's Larabar was my first, but I'm definitely eating too many nuts and fruits. I'm thinking of extending my Whole30 to a Whole45, free of those things for the rest of the duration. 

And the itchiness totally cleared up. Not sure what casued it, but I don't think it was anything diet related. 

_____

M3: Larabar, handful pecans, clementines (I know, I know .... I ended up working three hours later than usual, was starving, and this was what I had that was compatible)

M4: zoodles with meat sauce (ground beef and sauce)

Day 13

M1: kombucha, prosciutto, snap peas

M2: steak medallions, asparagus, fingerling potatoes, side salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette

M3: "breakfast bowl" of egg, banana, coconut flakes, pecans, almond butter

M4: salmon, apple

Day 14

M1: coffee w/ coconut cream, 3 HB eggs w/ dijon mustard and garlic salt, .8 pint grape tomatoes, 4 oz sugar snap peas

M2: 1.5 cups bone broth, handful mixed olives, handful pickle chips (I was feeling nauseated and had a massive headache—this is all my body really wanted to eat)

M3: TBD

Day 14 M3: zucchini ginger soup 

Day 15

M1: 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil, green apple 

halfway point check-in

weight: I don't know. But I feel heavy and bloated. 

emotions: mostly discouraged right now

skin: spots on both cheeks, which I never get

pains: for the past few days, I've had headaches, lethargy, constipation, upset stomach, and bloating

energy (1-10 scale): 3-4

sleep: I get eight hours, but I sleep fitfully 

Archived