Colin's Whole 30 Part Deux Electric Boogaloo

hebchill

So I don't remember if I ever posted a log last time.  I don't think I did.  Anyway this is the 3rd time I have tried to do Paleo/Paleoesque diet lifestyle change starting on April 1st.  I really don't know what it is about this date but a year ago I did start my first Whole 30.  I completed it but then fell off the wagon pretty much on May 1st and that was pretty much because I just wanted to see if I could do the 30 days.  I mentioned this in my post for Join Whole 30 thread but since this is pretty much a log for me I would like to be able to look back at this.  So, last month I got my first tattoo that says "Vive memor quam sis aevi brevis".  My buddy is a Latin teacher and told him I wanted a good quote in Latin that pretty much is like Carpe Diem but not Carpe Diem, basically something that says, you only get one life so live it to the fullest. As another friend mentioned, "That's like a Latin YOLO." Anyway, when I got it I was not really thinking about my health, weight, and diet but then I realized that my weight is causing sleep issues and probably one of the main issues in my frequent insomnia.  So, I did Whole 30 a year ago and it went well but I really was doing it just to see how I felt after the 30 days.  I slept better, felt better, had more energy and overall felt like a happier person.  Not sure why I wanted to go back from that but as soon as May 1st rolled around, I was off the wagon and really didn't care.  This time I have set a long term goal and that is to be in the best shape of my life by 35.  So I have roughly 13 months to accomplish this. When I graduated Basic Training in 2001 I was at the lightest of my adult life at 184 lbs.  Currently I am at 282 meaning I have gained 100 lbs in the last 15 years.  It was a slow gain so I know it will be hard work to get it all off.  All that being said, I feel different about Whole 30 this time around.  I am not seeing May 1st as "OMG I can have bread and carbs and candy again!" but I am seeing it as a checkpoint in this journey of weight loss.  My goal is to post in my log a lot over the next 30 days.  I will try to post what I eat each day but the main point of this thread is so I can look back on this in 30 days and keep going.  So yeah, thats about it for now. 

~Colin

Starting weight- 282 lbs

Day 1 food-

Breakfast- 5 eggs, 3 strips of sugar free bacon, whole avocado, and handful of cherry tomatoes 

Lunch- two chicken sausages, whole dill pickle, tomatoes, and almonds

snack- almonds

dinner- garlic and sesame chicken

Day 2-  

Holy headache Batman!  This hangover is no joke.  Not sure why I didnt have one last time but this is brutal.  I have been drinking lots of water and napping a lot but its still rough.  Hopefully it will pass after today. 

Looks like it was a caffeine headache. Last time I had black coffee and unsweetened iced tea on hand. I made some black tea and the headache is slowly going away. I am planning on trying to cut out caffeine totally but we will see.

Day 5-

Well like I said, I would TRY to keep this updated haha.  I am on call for work this week so logging and the forum have not exactly been on the top of my list of things to do.  I have been still eating with the program and made some AMAZING Tom Kah soup last night which I am calling Texas Tom Kah because I added salsa instead of Sriracha (since most are not Whole30 compliant) it was so delicious I had the leftovers for breakfast.  Anyway, I feel pretty great.  Going to start working out on Monday so hopefully that will help get me through "the hardest days".  Not experiencing KAT well more than I do in a normal on call shift.  I bought a crockpot and more pots and pans so I cant wait to start cooking even more.  Been drinking a lot more water and have only been drinking tea at dinner and breakfast.  Mainly for the caffeine.  Might try to cut out caffeine eventually but that day 2 headache was brutal so I am not ready for that quite yet. 

Day 11- Yeahhh I am bad about this journaling thing.  This weekend SUCKED!  Friday it felt like my glutes were cramping.  It got really bad at night.  Googled it and found out that a lot of people on the Paleo diet dont get enough magnesium and potassium.  So since it was the middle of the night I ate an avocado and some almonds.  The next day I went and got a supplement, some bananas and almond butter.    Took it that night and it sort of seemed to help.  Slept a little better but by the next morning it was hurting again.  Same thing happened last night.  At this point I cant tell if is indeed a magnesium/potassium shortage (because I didnt have this issue before and not sure where I was getting my magnesium pre whole30).  Its now localized to my right butt cheek/glute.  Tried some roller exercises and it didnt work.  Gonna start working out tonight with a brisk walk so we will see how that feels.  Wont start taking it too hard until I figure out what it could be.  

On the plus side of things I cooked a lot this weekend.  Made some Sweet Potato soup with Bacon,  Some Chicken Nanking (that I cannot wait to eat for lunch),  I feel good besides the hip/glute/butt thing and feel I would be sleeping well if it wasnt for that.  

• 2 weeks later...

Whole 30 day 24- 

Well I called it... I would not do a good job of documenting everything on here.  

I am burnt out on eggs and avocado. I miss cheese. I feel terrific and my new favorite meal is a pickle wrapped in roast beef, prosciutto, tomato and lettuce. Then dipped in homemade mayo and dijon mustard. I know I have lost weight but I will not be weighing myself until my birthday. I have worked out for two weeks now. It's going well. I really miss pizza.  I also had a dream last night about super moist chocolate cake and normally I dont like chocolate cake.  Ready to start reincorporation next week.  

Hey Colin, I experienced the same burnout with eggs and avocado (more so with eggs). Had to take a break from both completely. This seems common from reading other logs. 

Roast beef rollups are also great with a roasted red pepper and some fresh spinach.  Can throw a lot of different things in there when you are just plain bored with other meals. Maybe toss two crunchy vegetables in a vinaigrette or in mayo+dijon and then wrap it up. I'm making myself hungry :)

Well I made it.  I am making sure that I do my reintroduction this time since last time I really just cared more about making it the 30 days.  I started with dairy because thats what I missed the most.  Started with adding some cheddar to my omelette this morning and OMG it was delicious.  For lunch I am adding some cheddar to my above mentioned roast beef rollups. I am not sure how much weight I lost.  Planning on waiting a few more days before weighing myself.  I know I lost some weight because my pants are looser and I have been working out for 3 weeks.  I feel fantastic.  I plan on doing modified paleo from here on out.  Although I really paid attention to how to eat properly that I might just stick with a modified Whole 30. 

Alright I couldnt wait.  I knew I lost a good amount of weight so I had to weigh myself.  I lost 21 pounds!  I feel fantastic.  I was going to reward myself with a burger tonight but thats what I did last time so I decided to just eat what I usually eat for Whole 30 but I did add cheese back today.  Back to Whole 30 for the next 2 days. 

My favorite way to eat a burger is hand pattied, with garlic salt and a little lea&perrins mixed in, served between two slices of red bell pepper and a little avocado. That's a trick I learned from my first whole30 that I carried with me. It's seriously so good. And if you are reintroducing dairy, it's even more awesome with a slice of extra sharp white cheddar.

Archived