Hashimotos: Starting Whole30 and questions about medication timing

Hello all!

I started my first Whole30 today and I wonder if you can help me figure something out. I have hashimoto's thyroiditis and need to take my medication (naturethroid) 3x a day. And I have to take it on an empty stomach, so my doc said to take it 2 hours after eating, and wait 45-60 mins to eat afterward.

So right now I take it when I wake at 6:30, eat breakfast at 9; take it again at 1, eat lunch at 2; take it again at 5:30 and eat dinner anytime after 630. How will this work with that 3-hour break every time I need to take my medication. Any advice?

Can you take it sublingually? I'm on WP Thyroid (similar to yours) and my doc said if I dissolved it under my tongue ib didn't need to wait. Obviously talk to your doc first but that's what I do to avoid the wait.

Do you feel a difference if you adjust the timing of your med at all? I know someone that takes their first dose at 4 am, falls back asleep, and then eats as soon as they get up. Or consider taking it 2 hours after your meals? Just spit balling some ideas here. I know some people (myself included) feel off if I play around with the timing too much.

I don't have Hashimoto's but I do take thyroid meds daily. I am one of those people who takes it during one of the many potty breaks in the middle of the night. I normally take it around 3 am and then get up at 5 and eat by 6. Of course, I only take it one time a day so I don't have the same complication you do. 

I think it will work fine because you are encouraged to keep to 3 meals a day on whole30 and no snacking (unless you are an athlete). You will just have to really follow your time schedule strictly. And make sure you eat plenty at meal time so as not to feel any need to snack.

I am on day 9 of my first Whole30 and I also have Hashimotos. I take Armour. I have had to really focus on the meal template and drinking enough water so as to keep myself satisfied in between meals. It has taken a lot of planning but I am beginning to feel some of the rewards. Hope you are too!

Archived