Closet junk eater coming out

5 til 40

Hello. I have been that "healthy" girl on the outside. Always ordering a salad with grilled chicken and the dressing on the side. Would never even think to touch a bagel and I exercise almost everyday. I cook healthy/real foods. I appear healthy and i think I have been able to convince myself that since I make healthy meal choices and exercise that all is well. Well, here's the thing. It is not. I am skinny fat, sluggish, irritable, and can barely run half as long as I used to and my clothes don't fit. It is no surprise why. I am a closet eater and a food addict. When no one is looking, I eat the kids mac-n-cheese, drive to the frozen yogurt store and eat way more than a serving, I take my kids chocolate from their "stash", eat it then quickly replace it like it was never gone. I bake constantly and eat the dough (and the final product) when no one is looking. But of course I tell them it is unhealthy and I don't want any!! Talk about a hypocrite! Well, that was me yesterday and for a good 30 years. Today I start my journey on the Whole 30. i have tried before and failed, but this time I am determined to see what it feels like to actually accomplish this! My stomach is a mess (I made cookies last night at 9:00 pm for scouts just because (aka an excuse to bake and eat junk when everyone was asleep!). NO MORE!!! I am actually looking forward to the detox! Sorry this was so long. I appreciate anyone who took the time to read it :-) I can't wait to post my success story and how I finally beat this!! So...here goes! Bring it on!

Best of luck to you 5 til 40! I would join one of the forums where there are many others starting the same day as you and build relationships with them for encouragement. If you also didn't know, you can create your on log and track your personal journey (and daily meals) to keep you on track. I wish you much success!

I wish you success as well. I too was a closet eater, so I know a little bit of how you feel. My issue was, I wanted to be healthy so I'd read nutrition book after nutrition book and then feel so gulity because I KNEW how to eat well, I just wasn't doing it. I was as far as other people could see, but in the shadows I was sneaking junk after junk into my mouth. I too felt like a hypocrite. I am done with my Whole30 on Friday, but I feel so much better that I will stay on the plan indefinitely for the most part, eating the way I have been but not being afraid to partake in a special treat if I think it's worth it. Amazingly enough, there isn't much that I'll consider worth it at this point, and that's a huge thing for me to say. As LJG said, join the forums, create your own log, etc. It helps, I can promise you that. We'll all be cheering you on every step of the way!

I know it's extremely trite but once you recognize there is a problem, your most of the way there to fixing it. Back when I smoked, everyone could tell me all the bad things about smoking and it would just make me light up another. But one day I decided to stop and that is when I stopped. You identifying the problem helps you want to fix it.

Good luck with it! You'll do well.

Archived