My first Whole30

sdawson

I'm in my 2nd week of my first whole30.  I have noticed the following:

• A major portion of the swelling in my hands and feet is gone and it feels wonderful.
  •  
  • My blood glucose levels are doing much better - lower than they have ever been
  •  
  • I have more energy each day.
  •  
  • I am losing weight.

I'm really noticing more energy this 2nd week.  Also I have been able to skip noon doses of my Novalog insulin.  This morning I skipped my morning doses of both insulins.  Already reduced both night doses.  Trying to find the right balance.

Today was Day 12.  Almost two weeks in and I'm still feeling lots of energy.  Eating good and having some great salads and meats.  Today had leftover pork tenderloin marinated in Balsamic vinegar and a large salad, with bacon and pineapple chunks, boiled eggs for snacks, and tonight salad and pink salmon.  I'm still having to keep my insulin injections reduced to avoid lows. 

Unfortunately the pharmacy would not refill my test strips today.  I'm going to have to call my doc on Monday to see about getting them.  Its going to be really hard figuring out what units of insulin to take without my test strips.

Tomorrow I'm going to cook some great bison sirloins with mushrooms and onions and sweet potato, and asparagus for dinner.  Not sure what for lunch - probably more salad and boiled eggs with hummus and celery and carrot sticks.

Today was day 20, three weeks in. Energy is still great, pain is still much less, actually can sleep some at night now.  Eating is a pleasure.  Also I'm pretty alert these days.  Blood sugar is staying pretty good.  Only two injections today.   I'm staying busy all day prepping my house to go on the market this week.  So glad I have the energy to do all the things I've been doing.

M1.  Great salad with blueberries, nuts, raisons, avocado, cucumber, baby spinach and bacon crumbles with chopped up turkey pieces.  Fried egg and bacon.

M2.  3 eggs, sprinkled with ghee.

M3.  Bison roast with white potatoes, carrots, onions.

Snacks of almonds and walnuts.

Not enough veggies for today, I'm going to make a huge salad tomorrow and boil some eggs tonight for snacks.  I think I may cut up some celery too and make my 3rd batch of whole30 hummus.  So nice to look forward to cooking these special meals.

Well, today is D21.  I slept well for me last night but was hungry during the evening.  i can tell I didn't eat enough at meals yesterday.  So today I'm going to do better.  Going to fix myself a 3-egg breakfast then make a huge salad and boil some more eggs for snacks later.

Last night I skipped my night insulin injections and that was a mistake.  BGL was 260 this morning, so I injected this morning and I'll check again around mid-morning and before lunch.  I have dawn syndrome bad and should have know to just reduce my night injections, not skip them.

Also I have been under lots of stress getting my house ready to put on the market, so I definitely need to be careful with my diabetic meds.

On Day 21 I messed up and will start over.  I went to a fast food place and got a salad without dressing at lunch.  When I got home I realized I should have made sure it didn't have any cheese.  I had nothing else to eat and I needed to eat, so I did.  Guess tomorrow will be 2nd attempt, Day 1.  There wasn't a lot of cheese so hopefully I won't have any side affects.

I'm having just veggies tonight for the most part.  I'm traveling tomorrow so not sure what to do.  Its a 4 hour drive, guess I'll take an apple with me and some nuts for the drive.

I had planned to keep on the eating plan indefinitely anyway until I felt as good as I could, so I'm really worried about restarting a 30-day period.  I figure it will take me months and months to heal my body and lose the weight I need to get rid of. 

Today is D5 of my 2nd attempt.  I'm doing well, still having good blood sugar readings and feel well with lots of energy.  I'm loving this.  My dh is really enjoying our meals.  Last nigth he grilled steaks on the grill - delish.

Day 6 of my 2nd attempt and I must have done something wrong yesterday.  My hip and leg hurt all night and I wokie up with swelling in my hands and feet.  Thinking back on what I ate yesterday:

M1.  3 egg Frittata  all compliant with left over steak strips, 3 strawberries, a few blueberries and some alvacado.

M2.  Salad - all compliant

M3.  Spaghetti noodles made from zuchinni and meat sauce.  I think this is where I blew it.  the sauce said all natural on it, but I pulled it out of the trash and looked again this morning - it had sugar in it. 

Snack - cashews

My BGL was 221 this morning, actually not too bad for me with my dawn syndrome, but I did eat a lot of that meat sauce last night.

So guess I have to start over again.  D1, 3rd attempt.  Hopefully eating compliant today will get rid of the swelling and I'll feel better again.

I'm on Day 6 of my 2nd attempt.  I started over after messing up on Day 21.  I'm still feeling good and swelling is down, although a couple of days ago my hands and feell swelled a lot.  I'm not sure what caused it, but I was up all day with my feet hanging.  I made a point of laying down more the next day and I stopped drinking tea for a while and drank only water.  Swelling is back down now thank goodness. 

This morning at breakfast I started feeling bad (tired and full and I think I had heartburn)  I've never really had heartburn but I'm pretty sure that's what this was.  I came to this forum and found a reference to taking apple cider vinegar for it and so I did.  About 30 minutes later I felt much better.  Thank you Forumers.

Day 9 of 2nd attempt.  Still feeling good and swelling staying down.  I've been thinking I need to drink more water, so I'm going to concentrate on that for a few days.  No insulin except my morning dose of long term Lantus today.  My fasting BGL was 54 this morning, 110 right before lunch and I'll need to be very careful with my injections tonight since I have fasting labs in Little Rock tomorrow morning.  I don't want to get a low night and have to eat something.  I'll get to see my diabetes doc afterward and talk with him about what I've been doing.  Wondering what he's going to say about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally saw my diabetes doc and he was very happy with me.  I've lost almost 30 pounds since i saw him late fall of 2015.  My blood sugars are also much much better.  He encouraged me to continue and lowered my insulin dosages.  I'm to go back in a month.

However, now a week and a half since I saw him and I had a major fail.  I found myself cheating last week, a little here and there (prepared salad with cheese, prepared Italian dressing, etc.  Then yesterday I got very hungry and didn't have food in the house, so i ate fruit rollups and cookies and some triscuit crackers.  BAD ME.  The moral is to always keep complaint food around and plenty of it.  So I'm starting over again and hope to get back in shape before I see my doc again.  I found out that just a little cheating and my fibromylgia pain started coming back.  I definitely don't want that back.

Archived