Aug 15 - Whole 30 start date - anyone else?

tdg

Feeling great today.  Jael - I couldn't agree more about our culture and food.  When the program talks about changing your life, I think it is much deeper then just food. The last year we too were running from sports to school, to sports and events, never having down time to cook.  We went from eating well to eating out almost every night.  This season, we backed off of sports a little, and have had more time for family.  My son, 9, loves helping in the kitchen, and now my daughter, 7, is starting to help too.  She is a really picky eater and doesn't like most of the food we are making, but we are working on it.  For those newbies who have a hard time with all the cooking, try adding a few extra steps 1-2 days a week, like when you are dicing a half onion for a meal, dice the whole onion and put it in the fridge so the next meal has less work.  We also double a lot of recipes since we are a family of 4 and eat the leftovers as a quick go to meal when we are running around.  For example, my husband roasted a chicken.  The leftover chicken was shredded into a chicken salad tossed with cucumbers, red onion, celery.  

Here's a burger recipe I just made and it was fab:

Ground Bison, chopped onion (maybe 1/4 cup), salt, pepper, a little montreal steak seasoning (which has sunflower oil, so only a little) 2 tbs of almond flour, egg

Grilled for 8 minute on a flat iron grill - and WOW!!!  So good. 

Even my kids loved them!   

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, WholeFitMom said:

Day 5 - Chugging along. Took a spin class today in the AM>. I feel great have tons of energy.

Only thing is I got dizzy twice today getting up off the couch. But i'm drinking tons of water. 

Kind of worried about the weekend and I want to go in strong with some things on hand but I'm trying to meal prep

and then think of next week meal prep// IT'S SO MUCH COOKING AND PREPPING! 

I mean.. I'm glad the first week was that much cooking, I got a lot of good ideas, and I'm pretty much in love with the Red Pepper sauce, + mayo.

Sooooo I have to maybe do some more research look at some recipes for next week.

I think I'm gonna make some butternut squash soup in the pressure cooker. 

Chicken sausage tonight or shredded bbq chicken on top of Sweet Potatoes. Don't know yet!

Hope everyone is doing good.. and ready for the weekend!

Make sure you add salt to your meals - I get dizzy too if I don't (doesn't matter how much water).  If you had a high sodium diet before, and now there is no processed foods, your sodium intake will be low.  It takes a week or two to get readjusted and then you can add less salt.   

10 hours ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

Great planning GGK! I think I'll try the eggs and trail mix idea for my PW meal. What's your trail mix "recipe", if you don't mind my asking. Would love to know the nuts to fruit ratio.

I don't use a set ratio for the ingredients, but I have containers that are portioned to be one cup or half a cup. I use these for making trail mix. I agree with the moderator. I probably wouldn't eat trail mix as a post workout. You would want a lean protien and from personal experience, a carb. Maybe half a sweet potato? Something to give your body some things it can use for recovery. But it all depends on your personal goals. Experiment. See what works for you. 

Anyway, back to my trail mix... 

I buy nuts and seeds in bulk. I keep them in various jars and containers, labeled , in my cupboard and I use them as needed. I buy plain , unsalted, unroasted nuts and seeds as well as dried fruit. Check the labels though, sometimes they add weird things to bulk food. For the trail mix, which I keep on hand to supplement a lunch or as an "in a pinch" food option, I take the 1/2 cup container and add almonds, cashews, pecans, pumpkin seeds and sometimes pistachios. Then on top I add two or three dates, sometimes I chop them up, other times I just toss them in whole. Put the lid on and give it a shake and you have a half cup of personalized trail mix. This packs a heavy hit of fats, and I tend to eat the half cup over a few days, not in one sitting. From personal experience, having the nuts salt free makes it more of a nutritious lunch addition and less of a "bar snack".  Hope it's useful, just don't make it a snack replacement! 

I can't believe it's almost a week! Today I had scrambled eggs for breakfast with wilted spinach and nutritional yeast, and lots of salt and pepper. It was very good. Tonight I'm making zucchini noodles with my spirelizer and tomato sauce with lamb meatballs. Hopefully it will turn out as I envision it. 

For the afternoon I've decided that my kitchen needs a good decluttering session and clean. It's a small kitchen so it becomes overcrowded quickly. I think sorting out my utensils and dishes will make me feel more inclined to cook in there. 

Keep up the good work everyone! 

Happy Day 6 guys!

I'm enjoying reading all the discussion on here; hearing about everyone's successes (and fails) is helping me fine tune my planning and try new meals.

That being said, the last 24 hours were a planning fail.  Went to grill some salmon last night, only to discover we were out of propane...oops. Not a big deal, just moved the operation inside, but a bummer.  Then today, my boyfriend made us a great omelet with the leftover salmon. All was fine until noon hit and....we had literally nothing for lunch. My boyfriend refused to give up grain, dairy or legumes, but he is trying to eat Whole30 compliant when he's eating meals with me. Two hungry Whole30ers in the house quickly turned into a cranky situation.  Sat down, meal planned 4 days out and went to the store. I bought some Lara Bars as a backup to avoid future mishaps, and vowed to plan more diligently.

Meals lined up for the week are chicken lettuce wraps, chicken meatballs with spaghetti squash, and a delicious concoction my friend calls loaded sweet potatoes. It's ground turkey, sweet potato, homemade salsa all blended together and topped with slices of avocado. Was a favorite of mine before I started my Whole30.

Tomorrow I have my first restaurant experience, and despite reading in the book and online on how to stay compliant, I'm nervous! Not looking forward to being the person who asks 1 million questions. But that's just how it goes!

Enjoy the weekend, everyone! Hope you're all ending Week 1 with good times, good meals, and good feelings.

52 minutes ago, gbeers9 said:

Tomorrow I have my first restaurant experience, and despite reading in the book and online on how to stay compliant, I'm nervous! Not looking forward to being the person who asks 1 million questions. But that's just how it goes!

Gbeers, I too will be navigating my first Whole30 restaurant experience and with my social drinking friends who will likely try to get me to drink and share some non-compliant dishes. Since there's a reservation, I called ahead to the restaurant and let them know "I'm on an elimination diet for my health" and gave them the parameters. They double checked whether naturally occurring sugars in fruits were allowed (so clearly listening to me) and said they'd take care of it. So now I won't have to ask the million questions and will be able to fend off my friends' prodding with a dish(es) already set up. Might calling ahead be an option for you?

Best of luck to us both!

8 hours ago, Jael said:

Random observations/experiences after ending day 5:
*Multiple* dreams about things like intentionally pouring a whole container of cream over Special K and eating it or thoughtlessly drinking wine
GI issues and bloating (likely from excess bad bacteria in gut dying of starvation from lack of sugar and dying a bitter death) - both make me afraid of weighing my self even if I wanted to do
How many weekly stress-management rituals I have tied to food and wine
How important all those moment of anticipatory mindfulness are about things like sudden invitations to neighborhood barbecue/alcohol fests or planning for long periods of time in the car to manage temptations to give up
How. Stinking. Long. 30. Days. Actually. Is.

I have a workout shirt I wear that says, "A year from now you will have wished you had started today" 

That saying is so true and applicable to your last sentence.  30 days is going to pass regardless.  But at the end of these particular 30 days, you will have kept a commitment to yourself, improved your Heath, developed healthy habits, tried new recipes and learned new things about yourself.  What a way to spend 30 days. :) 

Good luck rockin' the next 25 days!  You have it in you to make it happen. 

Good Day 7 morning everyone! Wow - we made it 7 days... big pats on backs to everyone for doing that.

I have to say that, like @Jael, the glow is starting to wear off for me too. Perhaps it is that I have had the boys for longer than usual, coupled with the fact that I am still tired and had an emotional evening last night. But am feeling a little 'done' with everything this morning.

The good news is that I was thinking ahead and have a massage scheduled for this afternoon after the boys leave for their father's for two days. In addition, I woke up this morning and - Ta Da! - no hangover! That is absolutely awesome. Maybe I'll even take advantage after my massage and go to a movie. Or meal prep. We will see.

I was proud of myself as last night as I was surrounded by snacks, chips & booze and still stayed on the program. Last night was the final performance, of the final tour, of Canada's most famous musical artists - The Tragically Hip. Their final concert (in their hometown) was streamed live across the country and around the world. The lead singer/songwriter has terminal brain cancer so they won't be performing again. The running joke was that all of Canada "shut down" last night to watch their final performance - even the Prime Minister was there. It was a poignant reminder that life is short and that no matter who you are, it can suddenly and inexplicably end. My favourite lyric of Downie's is: "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" (from the song Ahead by a Century).

So keep feeling what you are feeling. Feeling is good, no matter what it is. And remember that this is no dress rehearsal!

Go! 

Day 7: Woke up feeling great, while husband was tired and groggy from drinking last night. We usually drink Friday & Sat nights.. cuz life with kids

after 9pm means drinks and food and couch for us. 

I just ate clean and had a Rx bar which I'm not proud of because it's like a dessert for me, but I figure in my head it's better then tequila. EESH.. 

I think it's better to just not have them in the house. 

FEEL GREAT THOUGH! Love WHOLE30! Going to Costco and market today stalk up and prepare for next week!

On August 20, 2016 at 4:08 AM, jmcbn said:

Are you getting enough water? Half an ounce per pound of body weight, daily is the recommendation. ALso remember to salt yoor food. Are you having fruit and/or starchy veg at breakfast? What do your meals look like generally? A daily 3pm headache shouldn't be a daily occurence.

so I normally drink 64oz of water but it's really hot and humid where I live. So it might be that I have to increase my water intake. I also am having a frittata for breakfast most days. I have to admit I do not put salt in it as I don't think it needs it (taste wise) But you've made a good point. I'll try to implement it this week!

19 hours ago, MrsZimm13 said:

I have a workout shirt I wear that says, "A year from now you will have wished you had started today" 

I am totally stealing that line and putting it on my fridge *and* my bathroom mirror. Thanks for the encouragement! :)

4 hours ago, tdg said:

Good Day 7 morning everyone! Wow - we made it 7 days... big pats on backs to everyone for doing that.

I have to say that, like @Jael, the glow is starting to wear off for me too. Perhaps it is that I have had the boys for longer than usual, coupled with the fact that I am still tired and had an emotional evening last night. But am feeling a little 'done' with everything this morning.

The good news is that I was thinking ahead and have a massage scheduled for this afternoon after the boys leave for their father's for two days. In addition, I woke up this morning and - Ta Da! - no hangover! That is absolutely awesome. Maybe I'll even take advantage after my massage and go to a movie. Or meal prep. We will see.

I was proud of myself as last night as I was surrounded by snacks, chips & booze and still stayed on the program. Last night was the final performance, of the final tour, of Canada's most famous musical artists - The Tragically Hip. Their final concert (in their hometown) was streamed live across the country and around the world. The lead singer/songwriter has terminal brain cancer so they won't be performing again. The running joke was that all of Canada "shut down" last night to watch their final performance - even the Prime Minister was there. It was a poignant reminder that life is short and that no matter who you are, it can suddenly and inexplicably end. My favourite lyric of Downie's is: "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" (from the song Ahead by a Century).

So keep feeling what you are feeling. Feeling is good, no matter what it is. And remember that this is no dress rehearsal!

Go! 

I have the hardest time with celebratory free food type things - great job for staying strong!

22 hours ago, FoodFreedomFighter said:

Gbeers, I too will be navigating my first Whole30 restaurant experience and with my social drinking friends who will likely try to get me to drink and share some non-compliant dishes. Since there's a reservation, I called ahead to the restaurant and let them know "I'm on an elimination diet for my health" and gave them the parameters. They double checked whether naturally occurring sugars in fruits were allowed (so clearly listening to me) and said they'd take care of it. So now I won't have to ask the million questions and will be able to fend off my friends' prodding with a dish(es) already set up. Might calling ahead be an option for you?

Best of luck to us both!

One of the hardest parts of sticking to the Whole30 for my husband and I is not being able to go out to eat. We're too afraid that if we try and wade through the menu ourselves we'll accidentally pick something off plan, or we don't want to be *those* kinds of restaurant guests. But we really like getting out of the house at night / leaving our teens to themselves to spend time actually talking face to face and being human beings. The idea of calling ahead is fantastic. We happen to be regulars at a little Austrian bistro of multiple years, and I'm seriously going to call them tomorrow for a reservation later this week to see if the chef could take care of us one time (it will be the half way point so that feels about right). Thanks for the inspiration!!

We've made it an entire week, y'all!! Thought I'd summarize my thoughts on the first week - what are yours?

Foods I Ate and Liked
Stuffed peppers, different Zoodle + sauce and protein dishes, Thai Slaw w/Chicken in Lettuce Wraps - ALL hits with my husband and kids. 

Lessons I Learned

• Combatting bad habits is so much more a mental game (for me) than anything circumstantial. In the past, I've dismissed my turning to food/wine a stress release for challenges in my marriage/parenting/job as simply commensurate with how hard some days have been. This time, just simply telling myself "I'll suck up the stress, drink water, have some strawberries and enjoy waking up in the morning with a clear head and no guilt" has worked really well.
  • In-person accountability for me is key. This is a fantastic forum that helps me with that last 20% of motivation to stick with it. 

Results I Observed

• Clearer thinking-->more energy for harder workouts at the gym. Body hasn't caught up with my brain yet - I did a hard weights workout at the gym this morning, and had that whole body "I have no energy left for things like moving" feeling afterwards. But that was still better than all those mornings when I'd listlessly do half an hour on an elliptical trainer or, worse, nothing at all.
  • Subtle but measurable shrinking in target areas. I'm not big on oversharing on the Internet, so let's just say that I'm already observing some of the physical changes I was hoping for.
  • Husband's blood sugar is back in near-good zone (140 on waking up, 117 late in day) after a solid year. That's what he needed to see to be willing to keep going. Bless his heart, he just brought the label of a tea container over to me to double check there weren't any secret sweeteners in it. I was so proud of him. :) 

Plans I'm Making

• Taking time tomorrow morning to go through the Whole30 book and plan my next sets of 3 days at a -time of meals. 
  • *Already* mentally talking myself through a week-long business trip starting 8/29 AND a neighborhood barbecue/booze fest on 9/5 and how I'm going to get through both of them.
  • Halfway celebration - calling in to a bistro where we're regulars to ask about a mid-way celebratory dinner for two that's on plan AND scheduling a facial. There are other ways to celebrate milestones and recharge than wine and brie. 

Best celebration of today, being able to go into a gelato shop and order gelato for my parents. Then sit with them as they eat it. Ice cream was my favorite thing in the world and I looked forward to my Sunday night treat. It took so much not to ask for a small but yet I stepped outside as soon as I ordered and got on this forum. So glad for accountability 

Welcome to Day 7... and good Monday morning. :)

Thank you @Jael for the great summary. I am definitely going to try the Thai salad tonight! So wonderful @cmf562 that you withstood the "gelato challenge"... we are behind you! How did your Costco shop go @WholeFitMom?

Emotionally, today I feel... ambivalent. I guess that is the right word. It is cold and grey and rainy, so that might be it. Have to head out on my break and pick up more supplies. Will try the recommended 2-4 day planning and see if that works for me... back to the whole 30 recipe book today! Am not exhausted, nor am I elated. Just... okay.

Physically I feel fine and continue to be grateful that the hangover stage is over. Had a massage yesterday that was certainly more therapeutic than relaxation, and continue to feel some new muscles in response. 

So far I haven't noticed huge differences in the past week. My head is not clearer (probably because I have a cold), my clothes all seem to still fit the same, and my metrics (sleep, heartrate) have returned to my pre-30 levels... so it seems my body is adjusting to this new normal. Which, of course, is wonderful.

So today I just "am"... and that is a good thing. I can embrace a comparatively 'low' day and snuggle up with tea and blanket, and enjoy the beauty of drizzling rain and my cat on my lap while I work. There is beauty in all that and I will cherish it.

Enjoy the start of week 2 everyone... we are about 1/4 of the way there!

Go!

Feeling great today.   I am so happy week 1 is over.  I have to say, following tdg's example, here is the biggest lesson I learned:

I was eating a lot worse then I thought.  Bad food is everywhere, and I didn't realize how much of it I was eating until I turned it all down.  Here are the things I was exposed to this week and did not eat:

*kids back to school BBQ (the cookies were the hardest to turn away from *Coffee with a friend - just ordered a black coffee instead of my normal latte *donuts on the first day of school *ice cream social for back to school - I did take the kids, but didn't order anything for me, or take a bite of theirs - WOW *movies with the kids - no popcorn *movies in the park - did not buy nachos or a hot dog.  *costco trip - hard to turn down samples, but did - came home and stuffed myself with fruits, veggies and nuts.   

LESSON:  food is everywhere, we have to choose how we want to feel and look, and not give in.    So empowering to turn it down, and guess what, I didn't die either.  

21 minutes ago, hikerbrat said:

*costco trip - hard to turn down samples, but did - came home and stuffed myself with fruits, veggies and nuts.   

FYI - I got around this by going at a time between when the food was not out. Those samples are deadly!

Also just noticed I posted Day 7... Should be Day 8.  Ha!

TDG glad your hangover is gone.. I'm feeling great.. a little tired but nothing a black coffee can't help. 

I went to Costco yesterday, the food samples were out of of control! But I did good and managed to buy a ton of proteins and veggies and fruits.

Yesterday we went to my sisters house to go in the pool... . but I had planned to grill a skirt steak and tons of veggies at home. So I was at my sisters, kids go in the pool and she says she bought pizza's and corn dogs for the kids and them.. I was like well.. I have to go home and get my food.So thankfully I ran home brought my skirt steaks and veggies.. and all compliant things, while they scarfed their faces with Bree cheese, bread, chips, corn dogs, some philo cheese thing.. I WAS STARVING by the time my steak was done. It turned out good and I'm glad I stayed on course. It almost made me sick thinking of all that bad stuff they were eating, and drinking Coke and then laughing because my family and I are always bitching why we never lose weight. Well the proof is right there.. we might not do it everyday but we do it a lot. It's just crazy some of the horrible shit we put in our bodies.. and think well "I should be losing weight" ya right. 

Anyways have been eating leftover skirt steak all day and now my teeth hurt. Need something different tonight.. I don't know if I can do  meat again. Got to figure out a plan. 

WEEK 2 WOO WOO!! 

On 8/20/2016 at 10:53 AM, hikerbrat said:

Make sure you add salt to your meals - I get dizzy too if I don't (doesn't matter how much water).  If you had a high sodium diet before, and now there is no processed foods, your sodium intake will be low.  It takes a week or two to get readjusted and then you can add less salt.   

thanks Hiberkat! I do drink tons of water, haven't been dizzy since. but ya you're right!

Well, totally slammed by a sudden summer cold/earache/miserable sore throat/flu thing. Plus said - I wasn't overly hungry and the only liquid I could think about was warm water or tea. But my whole body just hurts and now it's evening and I can't breathe and and and. Managed to make a giant pot of "kitchen sink" soup - sausage, lots of veggies, beef broth and stewed tomatoes. Drank a ton of water and hoping for a better day tomorrow. Weird that I got this when I usually only get this kind of thing when I've overindulged on sugar.

Hello all.  Late chiming in but I also started W30 on Aug 15th.  I completed a W60 back in Dec15 and have gotten a bit off track.  When I noticed some of my "issues" returning, I quickly hopped back to W30 for a re-set.  Going well so far.  I will be on an annual retreat from Aug26-31 which will be challenging.  The food provided in the past has been vegetarian with lots of soy products substituted for protein.  They do offer limited space in a fridge for folks with special dietary needs.  I am planning to bring along proteins (hard boiled eggs, canned tuna/chicken/salmon) to add to salads as well as avocados to beef up the healthy fat options.   Any other ideas - no cooking or storing foods in the retreat rooms unfortunately.  Thanks and be well.

I really hadn't done much suffering. Sunday we went to some friends to plan our vacation in January and they ordered Pizza's. I stopped by Dillons and picked up a Salad with no dressing. I used the Pico to help the dryness. I only had a small twinge when they pulled out the Hawaiian Pizza, but I survived. Monday day 8, was a toughie. I ate a good breakfast, but I was so busy, I had some left over chicken strips from Saturday and that is all I ate for Lunch.  I ate dinner which wasn't planned. Just whatever I could find that fit in. After dinner I struggled. I ate a piece of fruit and some pecans. I was really glad when it was time to go to bed. I also noticed that I didn't drink a lot of water yesterday. I didn't sleep real well last night, so I am getting back on track today. I didn't eat anything "not allowed" but not following it really threw my body into a tailspin. -  I am not sure about last night but my husband told me I have quit snoring since starting this a week ago.  I am looking forward to finding out which food item is causing me to snore.   

Had some black humor fun on Facebook about what Taco Tuesday for my family is called when my husband and my dinner will be devoid of cheese, beans and, well, tacos. :)
Nearly caught myself licking the spoon with the refried beans on it.  We got a wine shipment in the mail and my husband and I had to do some intentional self-talk about not caving so soon and just adding it to the nailed/screwed shut storage area in our basement.

How's everyone else??

We've reached Day 10, which is apparently one of the toughest days in the program.

Everyone's been pretty quiet.... how're you all holding up? I'm actually doing alright. I wouldn't say I feel all that more energized or happy than before I started Whole30, but I'm definitely feeling better than last week. Hopefully by next week I'll be feeling some benefits?

Getting a little tired of my food choices, but prep hasn't been as bad. One big effort on Sunday and I've got food through tomorrow at least, which is really nice. I'm not used to eating this much protein, and it's getting old, fast. Bland, light, soft meat like shrimp and white fish are all that sound good, so I think I'll shift to that for my next cooking day.

Hang in there, everyone, good times are around the corner (supposedly!)...

Have been so, so, so sick... Picked up a nasty retrovirus somewhere and it has laid me flat for the past 3 days.

Went off program because I was unable to keep anything down. Not even water.

So resorted to the old standby of unsalted crackers and ginger ale. It worked. But of course totally off the program. It is what it is.

So I am bowing out of W30 while I give my body some time to recover. May try again in September, but right now is not the time to think of it.

Heading back to bed....

Archived