I'm Karl, and I'm doing this!

khops

My name is Karl and I am starting my first Whole30 today - Friday, August 12!

I have a number of reasons for doing this, but first and foremost I am looking for ways to simply be healthier.  I view the Whole30 as a way to understand how different foods affect me and also as a way to bolster my recipe collection with wholesome, healthy options.

I'm the only one in our family doing the Whole30, but I figure I can cook Whole30 meals for dinner for the family and then just take care of breakfast and lunch on my own, since that's essentially what we do now anyway (minus Whole30 recipes at least).  Only problem with this is my wife's current (and understandable) aversion to raw eggs, so I'll need to have my own mayo and then "everyone else's."  That only becomes a problem when mixing up large dishes where the mayo is mixed all the way through, so we'll see how this works.  I also plan on making some Whole30 compliant egg-free mayonnaise, so here's to hoping that they find it appealing!  That would simplify matters a lot.

I'm really curious to find out if I really will find out what "normal" is supposed to feel like.  I currently don't feel ill or bad, though some meals (some pizzas, for example) can sit like a rock in my stomach.  Overall I would say I don't eat very healthy, but that's really from a lack of planning.  Planning meals goes a long way to helping your budget (only buying what you need instead of buying something with the intent of figuring out what to do with it later), and your health (too many times we get fast food because of our lack of planning).

Looking forward to seeing where this leads!

hi karl, good luck on Whole30!! i am on day 3,.. going ok.. my hubby just had gastric bypass and i opted to do this!! I've lost 30 pds in the last few months with fitness pal but needs to try something to kick it up a notch.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Karl.

No offense intended to the ladies, but it's good to have found another guy willing to post on the forum. I haven't spent lots of time searching yet but after about an hour of surfing, your the first I've found.

We're in day 8 ( doing this to support my wife) but also see the potential gains here. I've been off gluten for 2 plus yrs and have sporadically practiced low carb diets for over 10 years so this has not been too tough for me yet. I'm out to slay the sugar dragon as my primary goal with my major vices being ice cream and to a lesser degree dark chocolate. What is strange for me is the ability to eat potatoes and fruit. From a carb and glycemic index perspective, these are poison, but in the spirit of following the W30,  I'm allowing myself to enjoy them.

Enough about me ... I wish you success

Archived