Jump to content

Day 8 of my first Whole 30


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone....I am proud of myself for completing one week of Whole 30. I am going through a transition period right now where I am painfully underemployed and have had to temporarily move in with my mother, which is a source of a great deal of stress on several fronts. I initially coped by unhealthy eating and gaining weight, almost to my all-time high. A couple of weeks ago my daughter was in town - she has done Whole 30 twice and gifted me the Whole 30 book as well as the new one.  Feeling at my most ever miserable and depressed, I decided that I owed it to her to at least give it a try.

So, I started on October 25. From the outset I have been somewhat handicapped by my mother's kitchen not being as well equipped as mine was/would be. (she is not much of a cook).  All of my household goods are packed in her garage, and it doesn't make sense to get them out for a couple of very valid reasons which I won't go into here. Nor can I afford to go and completely restock a kitchen. Trust me on that one. So I have purchased a good knife for cutting vegetables and an immersion blender, and am making do with those as far as gadgets. 

In spite of the things stacked against me, I have done pretty well I think. The timeline has been accurate in some ways and not in others. Definitely day 2 was spot on with the hangover. Then, on day 3, I seemed to go right into the "kill all the things" stage.  Thankfully that only was intermittent for the one day, and I wasn't jailed or involuntarily committed, so I survived...haha. 

By now I am doing OK except that I have been really hungry between meals a couple of times. I guess I need to up my protein at every meal. I started by keeping a journal of meals, but I have been hit-and-miss the past couple of days.  Last night was one of those real hunger times. For dinner I had a huge salad, about a 1/2 cup butternut squash, roast beef and a small baked potato topped with drippings from the oven roast. My daughter thinks maybe I had too much starch with the meal and that was why I was hungry? I finally had to have something, so I drank a glass of unsweetened coconut milk.

I also have not slept well the past 2 nights, but not because of hunger or discomfort....I think more due to the stress I am under.

I am exercising at least 4-5 days a week. I could probably do better on the water intake....I have never been a great water drinker, but I am infusing mine with lemon/lime/cucumber, etc, so that is helping. 

My biggest triumph to date is that as of day 4....my knees no longer hurt. I have arthritic knees (and one injured a few years ago as well), and although I try to be fairly active, I don't remember a single full day in which I have had no knee pain...until now.

Today, on day 8, I am  really bloated. Constipation is not an issue. I know to expect this per the timeline so I am just trying to soldier on. 

Sorry for the information dump here....lol...I don't have internet access at my mother's, so have to use my hotspot time for a lot of different tasks. I get on some via phone browser, but it is much easier to navigate on a real pc. (an app would be phenomenal)

keep on keeping on. 


Link to comment
Share on other sites

well, today is actually day 8....I totally lost track of the time. It feels like I have been on this plan for months.

Last night I made the salmon patties from the cookbook. They are good! I had a couple for breakfast this morning and froze some as well.

Aside from being disappointed that I am only on day 8...haha....things are going pretty well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...