Sweet Potato and Sausage Soup

Bellmaestra

I rarely write down my thrown-together recipes, but this turned out to be a hit with DH and me, so I hereby present it here so I can find it again. It's a hybrid of some poking around on the 'net. I LOVE soup weather! Enjoy.

Sweet Potato and Sausage Soup

2 sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped

2 carrots, peeled and sliced

2 celery stalks, chopped

2 c. water

1 onion, chopped

1 T. ghee or EVOO

1 c. chicken stock

½ c. coconut milk

1# compliant sausage, diced

(I used Applegate Sweet Italian chicken/turkey sausage links, but bulk is fine too)

1 t. garlic granules (or fresh if you've got it)

1 t. Aleppo chili powder (or regular chili powder)

1 t. curry powder (or to taste)

1 t. smoked or regular paprika

1 t. salt (or to taste)

In a heavy saucepan, place sweet potatoes, carrots and celery, and cover with water; add salt to taste. Cook until soft. Add stock and coconut milk. Let cool.

Meanwhile in a saucepan, gently saute onion in ghee or oil. Add spices once onion is transparent, and let the flavors bloom. Add onion and spices to the pan of veg mixture. Check for seasonings and add salt (and more heat) if needed.

In the saute pan you used for the onions, saute the sausage and let brown, adding more fat if needed.

In blender, food processor, or with a stick blender, puree the cooled veg mixture until smooth. (Cover blender with a dish towel to prevent splashing.) Pour the puree back in saucepan, add cooked sausage, and heat until just hot enough to eat.

Stephanie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived