Kyle's First Whole 30 - Starting 1/14/17

kylevt

I will be starting my first whole 30 on January 14th - the day after I return from a business trip.  I believe I've got my wife bought in also on the journey (I'm the cook of the house).

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease roughly 18 years ago, had 2 surgeries, and have been doing "well" over the past few years without many flare-ups.  I basically eat whatever I want with a big sweet tooth.  Our first child, Grace, was born in May and my life as a parent has changed me.  I want to be the best version of myself for my child and will choose the Whole 30 as an avenue to make me a better me.  I feel sluggish, irritable, and don't have a healthy routine that I am proud of, which I aim to change.  My wife has been struggling too and I aim to take the lead is making this life for us even better.

I'm looking forward to many of these recipes, they look so delicious.  This will challenge my willpower, but I need to look at my relationship with particular foods.  I have more restrictions than most and need a healthy reset.  Also, I have alot to accomplish in my professional life and I need to put the best version of me out there.

Here's to a successful journey.  I'm a Project Manager at my core, so planning is right up my alley.  Having a vision for the vision is always the right place to start.  Looking forward to logging my progress through here.  More planning to do, I'm less than 2 weeks out!

• 2 weeks later...

Day 1 is here. Had sweet potato hash browns, fried eggs, and some bacon for breakfast.  Snacked on some pistachios, bananas, and cherries. I made a burger on lettuce for a late lunch - very tasty.  Carmelized onions was key. For dinner I made a chili that should last me a number of days.  A number of sugar cravings but I'm holding strong. Day1 nearly in the books.

Day 2.  Serious cravings for sugar.  For breakfast I used the sweet potato hash browns again, with caramelized onions from last night, some natural roasted turkey and fried eggs.  Very tasty.  For lunch I made chicken salad in a lettuce wrap - which will make great leftovers.  My wife and I had one, and we wanted another.  We were still hungry.  Cut up apples with almond butter.   Then i made some cocktail sauce and we ate a bunch of shrimp.  For dinner, I made meatballs which I dipped into tomato sauce.  I snacked on some nuts, made ants on a log with almond butter and ate some cherries.  The good news is that I built up quite the inventory of food in the fridge.  The bad news is that I have big cravings, low on energy, and might be getting a cold.  More prep work for day #3

Day 4 in the books.  I wasn't hungry today also - I mostly grazed.  Fruit, nuts, Fruit, jerky.  Still trying to get my energy up - I've had a bit of fever and cough hanging on.  For dinner I ate some shrimp while I made cauliflower soup.  That was pretty tasty - it'll make great leftovers too.  Hoping I dont kill all things on Day 5...

Day 6. Energy still high. Very hungry today.  Chili, fruits, and splurged on a kombucha. For dinner I had sweet potato home fries, fried eggs, prosciutto, and avocado. Very good. I'm getting ready to travel to NYC. It will be tough to stay strong on the road. We will see how it goes.

Day 7.  I traveled to NYC this morning for my masters program.  This was a tough day from the standpoint that i wasnt cooking my own food and I was out being social.  Grabbed a bunch of snacks - fruit, almonds, jerky.  Was held over for awhile - I ate the deli meat in the sandwich today.  Went out to eat tonight, no drinks (which was hard) with a cobb salad (no dressing and cheese).  Really want all the good food around me, but staying tough.  Hit the treadmill not long ago.   Two more days in the city.

Day 8. Tired and long day of classes. I met a college friend after work. Went out to eat at an Indian place and has this amazing sea bass. Then we went bar hopping - I was really hard not drinking. I held strong though. I've come this far.

Day 10.   Monday -- fruit for breakfast, chill for lunch.  Dinner was quite good - chicken thighs, caramelized onions, roasted garlic with sweet potato fries.  top notch.  I roasted up some apples and cinnamon - saving that for breakfast.

Day 17-19. Flu, still.  Still keeping it Whole30, which might be impacting my rebound time.  I've eaten less and havent done a ton of meal prep.  Been eating chia pudding, which has held me for a few days.  Sausage and Peppers tonight.  I'd like to see this sickness gone, its been a week.  My tiger blood should be here otherwise.

Archived