Betty7 - January 2017 W30 Log

Betty7

@Betty7 I am so interested to read your posts -- thanks for being so dedicated with them, I especially like that you post all your recipes! Thank you!

I am a dedicated wine drinker... this is the first time I've taken a break in. Oh. I hate to think how long.  I imagine that when I'm as far along as you are in the process, I will be experiencing similar revelations. 

And I have the shingles thing too! I had it in my side and back in November and it STILL hurts. It's one of the reasons I started the Whole30!  I know Shingles is a virus, but it is also inflammation...

I am so glad you seem to have avoided an outbreak, they are so excruciating. I wonder if what you felt was the dietary change helping with healing... I am really hoping that Whole30 can shift the seemingly chronic shingles thing.

Here's to controlling what we can in the next 4 years! ;)

No problem, @sarahstardust. This forum helps me stay accountable. The more thorough I am, the more apt I am to keep doing it. Lol. Also, full disclosure, I post the recipes for both of us. :) The last time I did a W30, I didn't record anything. I was super frustrated when I couldn't find some of the recipes that I liked last time!!

So how far in are you? I'm obviously not a doctor, but since you've had shingles so recently, it might be helpful to be extremely aware of your lysine-arganine ratio. All of the info I've found talks about these amino acids "during an outbreak," but very little is known about what triggers these outbreaks in the first place. So I say better safe than sorry. Limiting nut sucks, but everything that comes with shingles sucks so much worse. I'm 100% convinced that food is what did it for me. Check out: 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/280245-shingles-and-lysinearginine-foods/

http://www.herpes.com/Nutrition.shtml 

@Betty7 Well, I'm only 3 days into my first Whole30, so lots to learn and experience!! (I'm doing the same thing... posting recipes to remember them! )

Re: shingles... I'm lucky, I don't get a very bad rash, just gnarly pain, from the gut all the way to the skin. I read and tried everything under the sun and finally concluded, as you did, that food is critical to both the problem and the healing.  I also started taking Lysine daily, and adding B vitamins and other things that were recommended... but something more was required. It felt like it would just keep coming back unless I addressed the underlying condition (stress, inflammation, leaky gut?) that allowed the Shingles to do its dirty work... hence the Whole 30! 

Thanks for reiterating the arginine/lysine ratio. Luckily I am not too nuts for nuts!  I found this cool website too... looks like sunflower seeds and cashews are best nut choices. http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-012083000000089000000-2.html

That's a good article from Livestrong. And I like that chart!!  Though it seems to say that yams have higher arginine... and I am just starting to ADD those to my diet per the Whole 30. I usually never eat those!  Oh, and I notice snails are also high in arginine. ;) 

Thanks for the reminder!

2 hours ago, Betty7 said:

I do love homemade mayo @ArtFossil. I always use it in deviled eggs. I didn't really think of making tartar, though. Might encourage me to eat more fish! But I feel like I can never find compliant pickles. I think it might just be that there's some additive in most brands, and I can never remember if it's okay or not, and then I just give up and don't get them. I should just look it up already and get me some dang pickles. Lol.

I don't necessarily feel "better" right now, but I do feel better about myself when I'm following a Whole30, being responsible and nourishing my body. It's easy for me to be dedicated to that kind of self esteem booster.

The only thing I can honestly say I miss is alcohol. I love beer. Love. And I enjoy wine with girlfriends, or after a bad day. So it's hard, and I think about it a lot, but it's also eye-opening to realize the depth of my relationship with alcohol as a reward, as a comfort, for socializing, and also as a coping mechanism. I think a January Whole30 may be a permanent fixture in my life. That's at least something I can control for the next 4 years, right?!? :D

No pickles? NO!!!! I haven't had problems finding compliant dill pickles and the (organic) gherkins I got from Trader Joe's and are compliant.

Alchohol is a tough one. I re examined my relationship a LONG time ago (in grad school in the 90's) when I realized (1) that alchohol wasn't helping me relax but rather having the opposite effect and (2) being in my 40's then I realized that it had taken me so long to find my consciousness that I really didn't want to alter it any more. B)

Day 20 - 1/20/17

Dinner: 1 bowl of chili (http://www.paleonewbie.com/paleo-crockpot-chili-recipe/) topped with 1/2 an avocado; small salad (mixed greens, tomato, yellow bell peppers, carrot, cucumber); oil and vinegar dressing

Comments: That chili is BANGIN'. I used a pound of beef and a pound of chicken. So hearty and yummy.

Day 21 - 1/21/17

Breakfast: 14oz black coffee brewed with cinnamon; Palm sized piece of salmon w/ mango avocado salsa over 2 cups of spinach; 1/2 avocado

Lunch: Large bowl of chili; 6 almonds; 8oz mug of bone broth

Dinner: 1/3lb burger w/ Paleo mayo and Dijon mustard over 2 cups of spinach; 1 avocado

Comments: I haven't been inside an Aldi in ages. I stopped in today, and damn. I need to go there more often. I got a ton of good vegetables for super cheap. Giant Eagle had BOGO pot roasts, so I can't wait to make that fantastic recipe again (twice, hah!). On the down side, I slept in so late again. Might be because I stayed up so late last night. I need to make tomorrow a more productive day. Oh, and I broke down and had 6 almonds today. The big bag of almonds was just sitting there, staring at me. I'm pretty proud to say I only ate six of them. Hah. I skimped on the fat at lunch, but I think I made up for it at dinner. Forgot to look for pickles at the store today. Maybe tomorrow. I'd like to hit Sam's Club before the work week starts.

Day 22 - 1/22/17

Breakfast: 14oz black coffee brewed with cinnamon; palm sized piece of salmon with mango salsa over 2 cups of spinach; 1/2 avocado

Lunch: Large bowl of chili; 1/2 avocado

PreWO: 1 egg, seasoned and scrambled; handful of sugar snap peas; 1/2 avocado

Workout: 10 minutes HIIT, including planks, lunges, mountain climbers, & squats; 10 minutes cardio

PostWO: 1 egg, seasoned and scrambled; 1 cup seasoned red potatoes

Dinner: 1/3lb hamburger patty w/ compliant horseradish dijon; 1-1/2 cups seasoned red potatoes; 1/2 avocado

Comments: Avocado overload with the workout today. Definitely going to have salad for dinner tomorrow evening so I can have dressing instead of avocado. Today was the first time I've managed to get a good workout in and actually do the Pre and Post meals, although I skimped a little on the Post. I just don't know how to eat that much food. Besides, it wasn't that lengthy a workout, and I was going to eat dinner shortly thereafter, so I figured it would be okay. I am beat, but in a good way. Totally ready for bed. 

Day 23 - 1/23/17

Breakfast: 14oz black coffee brewed with cinnamon; 1/3lb hamburger patty w/ compliant horseradish dijion & paleo mayo; 1 cup of baby carrots; side salad with 1oz of orange rosemary dressing

Lunch: Small bowl of chili; 1 cup of seasoned red potatoes; side salad with 1oz of orange rosemary dressing

Comments: I'm enjoying the avocado break. Lol. My legs are sore from that little bit of exercise yesterday. It's not too terrible, but I have to laugh at how out of shape I am. I need to find some videos that I really enjoy. YouTube is both a blessing and a curse. Sometimes you find great stuff and sometimes it's terrible. Maybe I'll preview a few tonight and try them out Tuesday. No idea what I'm going to do for dinner yet. I have a beautiful eggplant and a whole head of cauliflower, though. Time to find some recipes.

Day 23 - 1/23/17 

Dinner: 1 palm sized piece of talapia, 1/2 an eggplant drizzled with olive oil and baked; a handful of radishes and sugar snap peas; 8 almonds

Comments: Eight almonds. Eight. I just couldn't bring myself to eat another avocado. I went a little overboard with the olive oil, so I figured this was plenty of fat. I have decided that if I feel the need to eat nuts, I will take a lysine supplement and be okay with it. I enjoy the crunch in my teeth and that slightly bitter taste that you just can't get from anything else. It's not the same.

Day 24 - 1/24/17 

Breakfast: 14oz black coffee brewed with cinnamon; 1 palm sized piece of talapia, 2-1/2 cups of mixed fresh veggies: sugar snap peas, radishes, baby carrots, & bell pepper slices; 1/2 avocado

Lunch: 3 hard boiled eggs mashed up over 2-1/2 cups of spinach; 1/2 avocado

Comments: I've entered the last week of my W30. I read back through the last couple of days, and I know I'm probably not eating enough. I have definitely started feeling bored with food. I am at the point where I have begun to loathe the egg, but the little devil is so easy to prep ahead of time and take to work. Ugh. I will supplement my nutrition intake with some bone broth this evening. On an up note, I found a few workout videos last night that look interesting enough. Now will I be motivated enough to do one tonight? Time will tell.... 

Day 24 - 1/24/17

Dinner: 1/3lb hamburger patty w/ paleo mayo and horseradish dijon; 1/2 and eggplant drizzled in olive oil; 6 almonds

Day 25 - 1/25/17

Breakfast: 14oz black coffee brewed with cinnamon; 1/3 hamburger patty with horseradish dijon; 2-1/2 cups of mixed veggies including grape tomatos, radishes, bell pepper slices, sugar snap peas, and baby carrots; 1/2 an avocado

Lunch: 3 hard boiled eggs mashed up in 2-1/2 cups of spinach; 1/2 an avocado

Comments: I didn't sleep enough last night, maybe 5.5 hours. I'm finding it harder and harder to go to bed at night, and thus, harder and harder to get up in the morning. I wish I could get on the right track with my sleep cycle.

I organized a Girl's Night with some friends on 2/4. We usually do one every month, but I told them I was out for January. I always host, so I promised one in February, and the 4th was the only day that worked for everyone. There will be copious amounts of alcohol and non-compliant foods (one girl is vegan and it's literally impossible to make a compliant meal that she can eat). Needless to say, I won't get to do a full 10 day re-intro. My plan is to stay 100% compliant until then (so 34 days) and just restart again on Monday after the Superbowl, for maybe a week, and then do the full re-intro after that. That's the plan for now at least. Lol

Day 25 - 1/25/17

Dinner: 1/3lb beef tips cooked in olive oil; 1-1/2 cups seasoned red potatoes; 1/2 large tomato; 1/2 avocado

Day 26 - 1/26/17

Breakfast: 14oz black coffee brewed with cinnamon; 1/3lb hamburger patty w/ paleo mayo; 1-1/2 cups seasoned red potatoes; 2 cups mixed fresh veggies including sugar snap peas, baby carrots, bell peppers, and radishes.

Lunch: 3 hardboiled eggs mashed up over 2 cups of spinach w/ a large handful of sugar snap peas; 1/2 avocado

Comments: When I was prepping today's meals, I realized how much red meat I've been eating, so I need to cool it. I took some chicken tenders out of the freezer. I need to add more poultry and fish. I still have zero energy. My muscles are very fatigued, so I must need to eat more. I know I've been skimping the last few days on both food and sleep.

Day 26 - 1/26/17

Dinner: 1/3lb beef tips; 1 large baked sweet potato; handful of cauliflower; 1/2 avocado; 6 almonds

Day 27 - 1/27/17

Breakfast: 14oz black coffee brewed with cinnamon; 1/3lb beef tips; 2-1/2 cups of cauliflower dipped in paleo ranch

Lunch: 3 hard boiled eggs & 1/2 an avocado mashed up over 2-1/2 cups of spinach

Comments: I'm kind of burned out on cooking. It took all of my strength to will myself into the kitchen last night. I do have my favorite potroast in the crock cooking on low for this evening, though, so at least it's something to look forward to: I only have to prep a vegetable. My chicken tenders weren't thawed by last evening, even though they'd been in the fridge a whole day. #poorplanning

Day 27 - 1/27/17

Dinner: 1/2lb pot roast; 1 mango; handful of cauliflower; 10 almonds; 1/2 avocado

Comments: I apparently didn't put the lid of the crockpot on tightly enough. It was ajar when I got home from work, and the pot roast was pretty dried out. I soaked it in another cup of beef broth on high for another hour which seemed to help, but it wasn't nearly as good as the last time I made it. So depressing. I was so sad I didn't feel like cooking anything else. Template be damned. I wonder if this was me being deleriously tired in the morning when I put it on and left the house, or if my painfully curious cat is the culprit. The world may never know.

Day 28 - 1/28/17

Breakfast/Lunch: 1/2lb pot roast; 1-1/2 cups of cauliflower dipped in paleo ranch

Lunch/Dinner: 4 buffalo chicken tenders; 1-1/2 cups of cauliflower dipped in paleo ranch

Comments: No appetite. Growing weary here at the end. I've been craving dairy for days. I honestly think a glass of milk would make me happier than any "treat" I can think of. I'm wondering if there's just something found in dairy (besides the obvious - copious amounts of lysine) that I'm otherwise not getting or under-producing on my own.

Day 29 - 1/29/17

Breakfast/Lunch: 1/2lb pot roast; 1/2 avocado

Lunch/Dinner: 5 slices of prochutto; handful of baby carrots; handful of sugar snap peas; handful of red, orange, and yellow bell pepper slices; handful of almonds

Comments: I ate half the pot roast and the avocado, intending to make this my Pre WO meal. I did about 25 mintues of low impact cardio & HIIT exercises. When I was done, I just couldn't. I finished the pot roast but that was it. Still no appetite, and I felt a little sick. I went shopping, and by the time I got to the grocery store (my 4th stop), I was famished. I bought everything. Every. Frigging. Thing. (I will be having some expensive lamb chops to celebrate my last W30 meal...) I also picked up a few things for after my W30 that I know I will want - like some feta cheese, and some smoked salmon and some turkey bacon, both with a dash of sugar in them. Otherwise, I bought all the things that I would eat sticking to the program. I'm excited to make clean eating a part of my regular routine moving forward. I basically grazed for "dinner" when I got home but just couldn't muster the energy or focus to make a real meal. I realized that this is completely against the spirit of the W30.  But... I didn't join my friends who were out having a beer. I didn't eat a hunk of feta that was staring at me from the shelf in the fridge. I ate compliant foods, so no f&@#s given. Today, however, was the first day I woke up feeling completely awake and alert. I went to bed at midnight and woke up at 8am with no alarm. I didn't have to force myself out of bed and crawl to the coffee pot. This is literally the only day of the entire W30 that I felt refreshed when I woke up. Sad it is on Day 29, but at least it happened.

Day 30 - 1/30/17

Breakfast: 12oz black coffee brewed with cinnamon; 4 buffalo chicken tenders; 2-1/2 cups of red, orange, and yellow bell pepper slices; 2oz paleo ranch

Lunch: 3 hard boiled eggs mashed up over 3 cups of spinach & a handful of sugar snap peas; 1 avocado

Comments: It's finally here. The Last Day. I'll save my deep, thoughtful reflection for when I post after dinner tonight. Otherwise, my legs are sore today. Probably because I didn't eat enough yesterday for my body to recover properly. Ugh.

Day 30 - 1/30/17 The Last Supper

Dinner: 4 medium sized seasoned lamb chops; 1-1/2 cups sweet peppers; handful of sugar snap peas; 1/2 avocado

Comments: Well, it's over. I suppose I have to say it was a success, although like last time, I never really felt the "magic." The skin on my face looks amazing, and I'm not going stir crazy wanting alcohol in the evenings. So those two NSVs I've noticed. My clothes fit the same. I don't really think the quality of my sleep has improved, and I also don't have any more energy than before (I might have less). So I wonder if 30 days just isn't enough for me? I can't just keep going this time, though. As I previously mentioned, I have commitments this weekend in which I will be off-roading. I otherwise plan to stick about to about 90% eating the way I was, reintroducing only dairy this week (and then alcohol this weekend). I may try to do another W30 in March/April like I did in 2015, and I may try to do the Autoimmune Protocol verzion just to see if that helps speed along the process of getting my body healed and feeling better. Besides, third time's the charm for doing a proper reintro, right?

I put some cream in my coffee this morning and almost cried. It's so delicious and so worth it.

Until next time...

Archived