managing migraine on whole30

hoyle

I have suffered with migraine for over 20 years. I decided to try whole 30 to see if it would help. I have now finished a whole30 with no improvement in headaches or migraine and am still suffering most days. I am frustrated as I have not really felt much benefit at all.

I have found whole30 difficult as I get a migraine normally if I don't eat for more than a few hours. I feel that its because of low blood sugar. I have been along fruit as a snack 2-3 times a day so not sure if that's where I may have gone wrong.

I can't decide whether it is worth continuing so any ideas on what my help would be appreciated.

Thanks Lisa

Hi hoyle-

I know the Whole 30 does specify three meals a day with nothing in between, but not everyone's blood sugar will allow them to start there. Sometimes that is something that has to be worked up to over time. Some people start with five or six meals/snacks per day and step down to three after their sugars balance out. The important thing to remember if you try that route is that your snacks be smaller versions of whole meals, with the same macronutrient ratios.

If you are generally hypoglycemic and were keeping it in check by eating frequently before your Whole 30, I wonder if going straight to 3 meals a day could have caused more systemic stress than your body was prepared to handle.

Migraines can also be triggered by more specific food sensitivities- even foods typically allowed on a Whole 30, so it's possible that you would need to try further restriction. But if you've already identified not eating as a trigger, I would encourage you to eat more frequently to start and see if that makes a difference, even if that makes it "impure" as a Whole 30.

Have you tried eliminating nightshades as well? (while following Whole30 guidelines)

I also agree with eating when you're hungry - maybe instead of the fruit as a snack 2-3 times a day, make it a mini meal (I'm sure there are separate posts on this elsewhere in the forum) - some protein, fat, and carbs, instead of just some fruit.

And, you might want to post a food log from a day or two on here so that people can comment and make any other suggestions? (General comments I mean, like, maybe you're not eating enough, maybe you could add some more fats, etc.?)

Archived