Camille's first whole30!

Camille Ho

Whoo...here we go!

I need to take some time to write down some specific goals, but I know one major one is weight loss. I'm not overweight, but I just do not feel comfortable in my own body right now. I gave birth to my son fifteen months ago, and although I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight, I'm still carrying the tire around my middle.

Another is fitness. I've been relatively consistent with exercise (meaning at least once a week), and I walk quite a lot every day. However, I'd like to get to the gym or go running (depending on the weather. Good old England and it's rain) at least three times a week to start with, if not more.

Then sleep. I need to get to bed earlier, especially since we co-sleep and my son is a crazy sleeper so I have interrupted nights. The goal is 10 pm or so, and waking up at 7 am.

My measurements are:

Hips: 38.5"

Thighs: (L) 24" ® 24"

Waist: 33"

Weight: 161

Day 1

Meal 1: 2 sausages (from butcher), 2 eggs scrambled with garlic, spinach, and tomatoes, cooked in Olive oil, Coffee with coconut milk creamer (egg, CM, CO)

Pre-Wo: Hard boiled egg

Post-Wo: Hard Boiled egg, 1/2 sweet potato

Meal 2: 1/4 lb ground beef, cauliflower "rice", 1/2 avocado, 1/2 sweet potato

Finishing up yesterday:

Meal 3: Bacon and Butternut squash soup

Snack: Some broccoli and some olives.

Felt pretty good overall. Had a headache about halfway through the afternoon that faded and then came back in the evening. Couldn't figure out if I was hungry or just craving something, so I had my snack of olives, but still wanted something...went to bed semi-hungry, but nothing unbearable.

Day 2

Meal 1: 2 sausages, 2 eggs scrambled with garlic, spinach, cherry tomatoes, coffee w/"creamer"

Meal 2: Leftover soup, 1/2 pork chop

Snack: handful of cashews, apple w/cashew butter

Meal 3: Thai green chicken curry w/cauliflower rice

Physically, I am tired and cranky today. I'm brewing a headache at the moment and ALL I WANT is some sugary carb. I know I'm not really hungry, and I know I could probably eat some fruit and it would be fine, but I also know that would just be feeding the sugar dragon and that's the opposite of what I'm trying to do. So, I am going to start breakfast for tomorrow (sweet potato hash), wash my face and read until I go to bed. NO MORE EATING.

Day 3

Meal 1: Paleomg breakfast pie, coffee w/creamer

Snack: Apple w/Cashew butter

Meal 2: Leftover Thai Curry, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 sweet potato

Snack: handful of cashews, coconut pieces, roiboos tea

Meal 3: pork chop w/homemade mayo, sweet potato, plum

Feeling better today. Actually popped out of bed around 7:30 am with some decent energy and excited about the breakfast I'd made, even though I didn't feel super hungry when faced with my plate. Had a ridiculously intense dream about eating a whole bag of Doritos and feeling so guilty that I had forgotten to check whether or not they were Whole30 compliant. So bizarre--I did not expect those to show up quite this early.

Snacking was interesting. I know I'm supposed to try and only eat during meals, so I asked myself each time, "If you only had grilled salmon and broccoli, would you eat it?" I kept thinking yes, because I love broccoli and I like salmon, but was I actually hungry or did I just like the idea of food??

Also, I braved a coffee shop for the first time and it was...okay. Packed some coconut because I knew I was hungry and that I wouldn't be able to resist pastries, and decided to order rooibos tea before I got there so I wouldn't be tempted to buy a latte. I was proud of Hubs and myself though, when she asked if we wanted cream or sugar in our tea, we both said no and left it at that.

I've got a small headache and feel "snacky". Am I hungry? Is this my sugar dragon? Do I just like the idea of food right now? Urgh. This is the most frustrating part, trying to figure out my twisted relationship with what I put in my mouth and learning to trust the desire (or non-desire, which doesn't happen often) for food. I think I'll have a handful of olives (the opposite of sweet, some fats to try and satiate my mind) and a cup of tea, then head to bed. Sleeping early was nice last night and I think it's a trend I want to continue...

Day 4

Meal 1: Leftover Paleomg breakfast pie, coffee w/creamer, pear

Meal 2: Leftover Thai curry, salad (lettuce, 1 small pepper, 1/2 avocado, 4 cherry tomatoes, drizzle of EVOO and lemon juice), 1 scrambled egg, rooibos tea

Snack: Handful of Cashews

Meal 3: Pumpkin chicken curry w/Cashews and coconut cauliflower "rice"

Snack: pear

Feeling headachey and crabby today. Went to bed last night and my right arm/leg were aching beyond belief, PLUS I'm getting a stye in my right eye. I don't know if this means anything, but it was weird that it was all the right side. Super tired, but that probably has something to do with getting up at midnight for an hour and a half to talk to my BFF back in the States. I had a thought while cooking dinner tonight, "I hate cauliflower. I hate cooking with coconut oil. I hate everything." so I guess I'm moving along the timeline right on track. Ha.

Not super hungry today, until I hit lunch, but as I was eating I slowed right down about halfway through...it's hard to know how much to keep stuffing myself with ("If I don't eat this now, will I be hungry before my next meal?"). I probably didn't need to eat that pear, but I thought that I would tack it on since I only ate half of what I portioned out for myself for dinner (which is an improvement, because I would have just eaten it all automatically four days ago). I'm brewing tea right now and trying to avoid eating something else...I'm noticing a "snack dragon" creeping in around 8 pm every night. Looks like I've got more than one battle to fight.

Had an apple w/cashew butter around 10 pm. I knew I didn't really need it, but I think I talked myself into it because I had/have a raging headache and I usually get those from low blood sugar, so the way to make them go away has always been to eat something. Thus, whenever I've had a headache over the past few days, my first line of action has been to want to eat something so that my blood sugar will go back up and make my headache go away.

Also, I was watching tv with Hubs, and that's usually when we'd snack before we started our Whole30, so it's a susceptible time for me.

All of this is interesting, especially the headache correlation to me, which is why I had to write it down before I head to bed. I'm not sure what the answer is yet...maybe just calling it a night earlier and going into my room where I know I won't eat anything.

Day 5

Meal 1: 2 sausages, 2 eggs scrambled w/spinach, 1 small bell pepper, and 1/2 avocaodo, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: Leftover paleomg breakfast pie, handful of berries w/coconut milk

Meal 3: Pork chop cooked in clarified butter, steamed broccoli and carrots, handful of berries w/coconut milk

Feeling better today. Woke up with a headache but that faded fairly quickly. Ended up sleeping in quite late (10:30) because Jameson screamed for 2 hours straight while trying to wean him last night. Ugh. I didn't really feel like I needed to snack today, but maybe that was because breakfast was so late, so all of our other meals were late too. Of course, now that it's 8:00 I'm ready for a snack, but I'm pretty sure that's a mental thing, not an actual "hunger" thing. The urge to grab a handful of cashews is strong and I'm wavering as to whether or not it will be beneficial...No. I don't need them. I'm going to reheat my tea (rooibos), watch some tv with Hubs, then go to bed early since we've got the farmer's market tomorrow morning.

I'm having a hard time not getting impatient with "seeing" results. I KNOW that it's not going to happen for awhile, but this has been so much harder mentally than I thought. It's getting to be a slog, and I'm getting panicky about eating these foods (and no sugar) for the rest of the 30 days, not to mention my life. I keep telling myself to take it one day at a time, but I still have moments of being overwhelmed...

Day 6

Meal 1: Leftover paleomg breakfast hash (small serving, I did NOT want to eat this morning), coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: Leftover paleomg breakfast hash, 1 small bell pepper, 1 plum, handful of cashews

Snack: Apple w/cashew nut butter

Meal 3: 1 chicken drumstick w/extra breast meat, 1/2 sweet potato w/clarified butter, carrots w/clarified butter, handful of berries w/coconut milk

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm eating enough as I was really hungry in-between meals today (except breakfast and lunch). I'm going to try adding a little more of everything to my plate during meals and see if that helps, because I'm having a difficult time not snacking.

Woke up with a ridiculous sinus headache on my right side (?!). Walking to the farmer's market helped clear it up, and I felt okay overall today. Decent energy, but not a lot, but no real "dips" either.

Day 7

Meal 1: 3 sausages, 2 eggs sunnyside up, handful of cherry tomatoes, coffee w/creamer (trying to eat a LOT so that we're not hungry tonight!)

Meal 2: Porkchop, egg, sweet potato

Meal 3: Decided to partake in non-compliant Whole30 food at the NFL game tonight. A little regret, a LOT of fun, and I'm going to make this a whole40 because now I know I DO NOT like the way I feel after eating all that food.

Day 8 (Restart, day 1):

Meal 1: 2 sausages, 2 eggs fried in clarified butter, 1/4 sweet potato (Which might as well have been 1/2 because it was massive), coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: Leftover paleomg breakfast hash, 1/4 sweet potato, handful of pepper strips, handful of cashews

Meal 3: Italian meatloaf, 1 sweet potato, 1 plum

Day 9 (Restart, day 2)

Meal 1: 4 eggs scrambled in olive oil, w/garlic, spinach, and cherry tomatoes, handful of peppers, rooibos tea

Snack: handful of cashews, apple w/cashew butter

Meal 2: Leftover paleomg breakfast hash, lettuce w/olive oil and lemon juice, cherry tomatoes, berries w/coconut milk

Meal 3: Chicken, broccoli and carrots

Day 10 (Restart, day 3)

Meal 1: 4 eggs scrambled in olive oil w/garlic, spinach, and cherry tomatoes, coffee w/creamer, handful of peppers

Meal 2: Chicken breast, lettuce & cherry tomatoes w/homemade salad dressing

Meal 3: Enchilada chicken stew, 1/2 avocado, sweet potato

Snack: Cashews, apple, more stew

Day 11 (Restart, day 4)

Meal 1: 1 sausage, 3 fried eggs, coffee w/creamer, banana

Meal 2: Bone broth, leftover enchilada chicken stew, sweet potato

Snack: 3/4 apple (Jameson's leftovers)

Meal 3: Steak, avocado/onion/tomato salad, carrots

Day 12 (Restart, day 5)

Meal 1: 3 eggs scrambled in olive oil w/garlic, spinach, and cherry tomatoes, 1/4 sweet potato, coffee w/creamer

Snack: Handful of cashews

Meal 2: Pork chop, 3/4 sweet potato, apple, cashews

Pre-wo: Leftover paleomg breakfast casserole

Post-wo: Bowl of stew

Meal 3: Bowl of stew, 1/2 sweet potato, handful olives

Lately all I want is sugar/grains. Cupcakes, toast, brownies, chocolate...anything. It's KILLING me, and I don't know where it's come from, because it seems quite sudden.

Also, I'm still having trouble knowing if I'm hungry or if I just want to eat. I feel like my meals might not be big enough, but I'm running out of ideas for variety for the fats in my diet. I don't want to eat an avocado plain, I don't like coconut plain...I know I need to get creative with this, but I'm having a hard time.

Day 13 (Restart, day 6)

Meal 1: Leftover stew (can't believe I did it first thing in the am!), coffee w/creamer--2 hrs later, 1 sausage, 2 eggs

Meal 2: 2 bowls of stew, apple w/cashew butter, rooibos tea

Meal 3: Brazilian chicken curry w/cauliflower "rice", 1 small sweet potato, handful of cashews

Re-read the "what to expect" timeline for the Whole30, and it seems I'm right on track with the "Give me the damn Twinkie" phase (counting from the beginning of my Whole30, not my restart). This was reassuring, because it's been a little discouraging lately, thinking about how all I want is to go on a carb-y, sugar-y bender right now. I'm encouraged to just stay the course and trust that it will pass.

Still trying to figure out the fats side of things. I know I need to be eating them, especially if I want the weight loss to continue, but I just do not know what to do...I don't want to eat nuts all the time. I know I need to buy some more olives...maybe I should make guacamole?

Day 14 (Restart, day 7)

Meal 1: 2 sausages, 2 eggs, coffee w/creamer, 1/2 sweet potato

Meal 2: Leftover Chicken curry w/cauliflower rice, salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers) w/homemade vinaigrette

Meal 3: Pork chop, butternut squash soup, orange

I'm feeling fairly good (normal), but I'm getting worried that I'm not going to hit the "tiger blood" part of this. Where is my unreserved energy? Where is my clear skin and fat melting away? I know I'm not that far into it, but I'm still discouraged by the constant craving for all the food I can't (am choosing not to) eat. Especially with the holidays coming up...sigh.

ETA: I did better at adding fats in today. Oil w/the salad at lunch, coconut milk and clarified butter w/dinner...I bought some more avocados today as well, so hopefully I can suck it up and start eating them.

Day 15 (Restart, day 8)

Meal 1: 4 eggs scrambled in olive oil w/garlic, spinach, and tomatoes, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: Pork chop fried in clarified butter, 1/2 sweet potato, apple, handful of cashews

Meal 3: Chicken drumstick, mashed cauliflower (ick), 1/2 sweet potato

Snack: Apple w/cashew butter

ETA: I did not eat enough at dinner, so around 9pm I made myself an egg, and had a handful of tomatoes. I just felt so ravenously hungry last night, I'm not sure what's going on.

Day 16 (Restart, day 9)

Meal 1: 1 sausage, 3 eggs fried in clarified butter, handful of tomatoes, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: Giant salad--lettuce, handful of cherry tomatoes, 3/4 avocado, cucumbers, 1 bell pepper, leftover chicken, homemade vinaigrette

Meal 3: Pork chop fried in clarified butter, 1 sausage, 1/2 sweet potato, apple, handful of cashews

Day 17 (Restart, day 10)

Meal 1: Four eggs fried, 1/2 sweet potato, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: Porkchop, 1 egg, 1/2 sweet potato, apple

Snack: Cashews

Meal 3: Garbage stir-fry, 1/2 avocado, orange

Day 18 (Restart, day 11)

Meal 1: 2 sausages, 2 eggs, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: Porkchop, fried egg, sweet potato

Meal 3: 2 bowls of beef stew, 1/4 avocado

I can tell that I've lost weight, as I had to do my belt up one notch tighter and my stomach is the flattest it's been since before I got pregnant. This is helping me to stay motivated, but I'm still having a hard time mentally, as all I want is some sugar (not to mention that I'm planning out Thanksgiving and Christmas, so sweet grains are all I'm seeing). I'm determined to fight this through,especially since I'm having such a mental issue. Clearly there are a lot more things in my brain that need working on, which is kind of discouraging, but I don't know what else to do about it.

Still having a hard time with fats, and now veggies, but that could just be because we're running low on produce. I don't like forcing myself to eat food that I don't enjoy, but I know I need to just be a grown-up and deal with it.

Day 19 (Restart, day 12)

Meal 1: 2 sausages, 2 eggs, coffee w/creamer, herbal tea

Meal 2: bowl of stew, fried egg, 1/2 sweet potato cooked in olive oil, cashews, 2 carrots

Meal 3: 2 bowls of zucchini soup, 2/3 sweet potato cooked in olive oil

Day 21 (Restart, day 14)

Meal 1: 1 1/2 sausages, 3 eggs, coffee w/creamer, 2 carrots raw

Meal 2: 2 bowls of zucchini soup, berries w/coconut butter and milk, herbal tea

Snack: 2 carrots

Meal 3: 2 chicken legs baked in olive oil, carrots, broccoli, berries w/coconut butter and milk

Snack: 1 egg, 1 tomato, 2 TBS coconut butter

I was sooo hungry today. No idea what's going on. Trying to stress out less about being exact and just worry about eating good, compliant food.

Day 23 (Restart, day 16)

Meal 1: 2 eggs, 2 sausages, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: 2 eggs scrambled in olive oil w/garlic, spinach, and tomatoes, 1/2 avocado

Meal 3: 2 small porkchops, 1/2 sweet potato, 3 tomatoes, handful of cashews

Snack: fruit, carrots, handful of cashews

Meal 4: 1 1/2 sausages, 2 eggs

Day 24 (Restart, day 17)

Meal 1: 1 1/2 sausages, 3 eggs, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: 2 1/2 bowls of zucchini soup, 1 sweet potato, handful of olives

Meal 3: 1 1/4 chicken thighs, carrots, broccoli, 1/4 sweet potato, 1 bowl of berries w/coconut milk

Snack: 1 bowl zucchini soup, 2 TBS coconut butter

Day 25 (Restart, day 18)

Meal 1:2 eggs, 2 sausages, coffee w/creamer, 2 tomatoes

Meal 2: 3/4 pork chop, 2 eggs scrambled in OO w/garlic, spinach, and tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 bell pepper

Meal 3: 1/2 chicken breast and 1 chicken thigh/leg, 3/4 sweet potato, carrots, 2 TBS coconut butter

Snack: 1/2 chicken breast, 1 handful olives

Archived