Camille's first whole30!

Camille Ho

Day 26 (Restart, day 19)

Meal 1: coffee w/creamer, 3 eggs fried in clarified butter, 1 1/2 sausages

Meal 2: 2/3 porkchop, 2 fried eggs, 1 bell pepper, 1/2 sweet potato w/cinnamon and coconut milk

Meal 3: 1 1/2 bowls Enchilada chicken soup, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 sweet potato w/cinnamon and coconut milk

My son woke me up at 3 something this morning and I ended up getting out of bed with him at 5. I managed to make it to 10 pm without napping at all through the day and without feeling like I was going to collapse from exhaustion, which is HUGE. Obviously it's not ideal, but it was amazing to see how my energy level stayed fairly constant (if lower than usual) even though I woke up SO EARLY.

I can tell a noticeable difference in my body and other people are starting to comment on it as well. My belt is officially as tight as it will go, and it's a medium, so I may need to buy a small (?!) belt in the near future. All my jeans are too big, aside from the pair of skinny jeans I bought a few weeks ago, which have currently become my favorites. My thighs actually don't touch when I'm wearing them and I have NEVER EVER had that happen to me in my whole life.

I'm a little worried about my fitness level, since I've backed off on working out quite a lot. I am doing body weight resistance stuff about every other day, and I have to walk a lot since we don't have a car, but I am kind of scared that my cardio levels have gone down. I think that's what I'll focus on during December, when I'm not focusing on a whole30 so much.

Day 27 (Restart, day 20)

Meal 1: 3 eggs, 2 sausages, coffee w/creamer

Snack: A few cashews, Apple

Meal 2: 2 bowls of zucchini soup, 2 eggs, 1 handful cherry tomatoes, 1 1/2 oranges, 1 handful olives, 1 TBS coconut butter

Worked over lunch yesterday and then had to go to a birthday party where we ended up staying until nearly 6 pm. When I got home I realised that I hadn't eaten since breakfast (and the apple I had in the car on the way), and I didn't have any of my usual symptoms from not eating for hours--no headache, no dizziness or weakness, etc. It was AMAZING, because that has always been an issue if I don't eat within a certain amount of time.

So I'm seeing results, just in a different way than I expected. Less dramatic, and more subtle, but they're there and I am SO glad that I can see them.

Day 28 (Restart, day 2)

Meal 1: 2 sausages, 3 eggs, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: 2 small porkchops, 1/2 orange, 1/2 sweet potato w/coconut milk and cinnamon

Meal 3: 2 sausages, 3 eggs, 1/2 sweet potato w/cinnamon, herbal tea

Not much variety today (I have a sneaking suspicion that we're probably eating too many sausages), but we got home from church so late that lunch was at 3 pm, and then by the time I got Jameson to bed at 7:30 or so, we needed a quick dinner that we'd enjoy...plus we bought an extra bag of sausages at the butcher's this weekend, so that was our answer. I think it's okay to have the same breakfast, but I need to work on our dinners.

Since Thanksgiving is this week and I've also got to work a fair amount, I've planned low-key dinners leading up to Thanksgiving, and then we'll probably be inundated with leftovers (which is fine by me).

Day 29 (Restart, day 22)

Meal 1: 2 sausages, 3 eggs, coffee w/creamer, cherry tomatoes

Meal 2: Leftover Enchilada Chicken Soup, 1/2 avocado, 1 apple

Meal 3: 2 chicken legs/thighs cooked in olive oil, carrots, broccoli, 1 sweet potato

Snack: 1 sweet potato

Super hungry tonight, but didn't really realize it until I had finished dinner. For some reason, eating chicken off the bone just doesn't seem to do it for me. I think it's because it looks like it should be a lot of protein, but by the time I get the meat off, there really isn't that much.

Still feeling good. I don't have the "tiger blood" that everyone's talking about, but I feel leveled out, chill, calm, etc. I can't believe I only have a week left. It's making me kind of nervous, because I can see myself falling face-first into a pile of donuts since all of those cravings are still very real. In fact, I just keep telling myself "You can have that when you're done with your whole30" and I'm afraid that I'm going to stand by that and jump into a pile of awful food again. I still feel weak, and there is still a sugar dragon following me around, and the only thing I can really hope for is that my reactions to reintroducing foods are severe enough that it warns me off of them.

Day 30 (Restart, day 23)

Meal 1: 1 1/2 sausages, 3 eggs, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: 2 eggs, handful cherry tomatoes, handful of olives

Snack: Handful of cashews

Meal 3: 1 1/2 bowls zucchini stew, 1 sweet potato, 1 egg, 1 carrot, 1 apple

Hubs is officially done with his whole30! He's kind of bringing me down by going on about how he's not really going to eat Paleo anymore because it's too expensive and he didn't see enough benefits, blah, blah, blah. He says he'll still eat "healthily", but I think he's going to start to roll down a slippery slope of crap and find himself buried at the bottom fairly soon. I guess I'm annoyed by it because it means I'm going to be fighting the fight on my own, and all the temptation foods are going to creep back into the house. Whatever. I'll deal with it when I get there.

Been cranky today, and hungry, and I'm not sure what's up. I'm excited for Thanksgiving, and I'm going to cook some stuff tomorrow to hopefully make Thursday a little bit less hectic (especially since I'll be working most of the day anyway).

Day 30 (Restart, day 23)

Meal 1: 2 egg whites, 1 egg, 2 sausages, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: 2 pork chops cooked in clarified butter, 1 sweet potato, handful cherry tomatoes

Meal 3: 3 eggs scrambled in olive oil w/garlic, spinach and cherry tomatoes, 1 sweet potato

Day 31 (Restart, day 24) Thanksgiving!

Meal 1: 2 eggs, 2 sausages, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: 2 sausages, handful of almonds, berry mix

Meal 3: Turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, squash and sweet potato w/walnuts, pumpkin pie, apple cider

The food for Thanksgiving was amazing this year, and the only thing I feel bad about is how much I ate! I went back for seconds about an hour later or so, and I know I didn't need them but I wanted them and all the food was compliant so I figured, why not?

I'm going to hit the gym tomorrow, just because I want to have a "safety net" for all the excess calories I ate (and I know this is still part of the twisted mindset that I need to work through, but...working out is not a bad thing, right?)

Anyway, I am so, so pleased with how all the food turned out and can easily see myself cooking Thanksgiving like this every year.

Day 32 (Restart, day 25)

Meal 1: 2 sausages, 2 eggs, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: Thanksgiving leftovers!

Meal 3: turkey w/cranberry sauce, stuffing, pumpkin pie

This was kind of an extra day of Thanksgiving, since we had friends over to help us finish off our leftovers. It was nice to have a whole nother day of eating amazing Thanksgiving food and not worrying about portion sizes and food contents too much.

I will say, however, that I am glad the pumpkin pie is gone...my sugar dragon gave a few rumbles last night, and I am happy that the temptation is out of the house, but also glad that I don't feel TOO guilty about eating a few pieces of it.

Day 33 (Restart, day 26)

Meal 2: Turkey, almonds, apple

Meal 3: 3 egg omelette w/ turkey, avocado, and tomato, side of broccoli and carrots

Snack: 1 sweet potato

I'm finding that I really feel like I need a sweet potato to get through my day satisfied. I'm a little worried that this is a mental thing, but maybe it's just that I need that starchy vegetable to round everything out.

Day 34 (Restart, day 27)

Meal 1: 2 sausage, 2 eggs, coffee w/creamer

Meal 2: 3 egg omelette w/turkey, avocado, and cherry tomatoes, 1/2 sweet potato

Snack: apple

Meal 3: 3 bowls zucchini stew, 1 sweet potato

Snack: handful cashews

I was SO HUNGRY after church today, and I'm not sure why. Maybe I needed the extra egg that I usually eat or something, because I was not in a happy mood until I shoved that omelette in my face (which tasted delicious).

Day 35 (Restart, day 28)

Snack: 1/2 bag nuts from Pret, vanilla chai tea

Meal 2: Big salad w/balsamic and olive oil dressing (that I found out had honey in it, damn it), antipasto tray (meat), grapes, leftover nuts

Snack: Apple, almonds

Meal 3: Salad w/carnitas and guacamole from Chipotle

Meal 4: Chicken leg, orange, handful cashews

Today was my training day in London and I was worried about eating, but I managed to make healthy choices (even if they were more expensive). The only thing that tripped me up was the salad dressing, with it's honey and sunflower seed oil, but I'm so close to the end that I'm just saying "whatever" and moving on.

Today was a good way for me to see how I want to eat when I'm not Whole30...still "almost" compliant, but not stressing out about a bit of honey or nasty seed oil in my dressing when I'm out--other than that, it was pretty much painless and doable.

Also, I had a cup and a half of coffee after noon (I know, but it was eight hours in one room full of talking) and now I am WIRED. In fact, after I had the second cup at about 3:30, I noticed my heart started racing, I got hot and my mind was going haywire--I am officially sticking to one cup of coffee a day from now on.

Day 37 (Restart, day 30)

Meal 1: 2 eggs, 2 sausages, coffee w/creamer

Snack: Handful almonds

Meal 2: 2 pork chops, steamed carrots, 2 Tbs coconut butter

Meal 3: turkey, cranberry sauce, 1 sausage, apple

Last day...I am really kind of scared for reintroduction and falling off the bandwagon, and losing all of the progress I've made. I think I'll keep logging my food, just so that I can stay accountable to reintro-ing stuff the right way.

Reintroduction Day 1

Meal 2: 3 egg omelette w/turkey, tomatoes, and cheese

Snack: Apple, Yogurt w/strawberry compote (SO sweet and almost chemically tasting...should have had the yogurt plain)

Meal 3: 2 sausages, 3 eggs, steamed carrots, 2 TBS coconut butter

Jameson came down with croup last night, so we're all super exhausted and running on fumes. Food has been chaotic since neither my husband or I can take a break long enough to cook something decent, and I've got to work a full shift tomorrow. Had some cheese and yogurt today...not feeling terrible yet, but also not feeling as good as I usually do.

May have a latte with milk tomorrow (I have a feeling I'll need the caffeine at work), but I'm thinking that I don't miss dairy that much. The cheese wasn't amazing, and I am doing fine with coconut milk creamer in my coffee. Maybe I'll branch out for ice cream, but...

Reintroduction Day 1

Meal 2: 3 egg omelette w/turkey, tomatoes, and cheese

Snack: Apple, Yogurt w/strawberry compote (SO sweet and almost chemically tasting...should have had the yogurt plain)

Meal 3: 2 sausages, 3 eggs, steamed carrots, 2 TBS coconut butter

Snack: Hot chocolate

Jameson came down with croup last night, so we're all super exhausted and running on fumes. Food has been chaotic since neither my husband or I can take a break long enough to cook something decent, and I've got to work a full shift tomorrow. Had some cheese and yogurt today...not feeling terrible yet, but also not feeling as good as I usually do.

May have a latte with milk tomorrow (I have a feeling I'll need the caffeine at work), but I'm thinking that I don't miss dairy that much. The cheese wasn't amazing, and I am doing fine with coconut milk creamer in my coffee. Maybe I'll branch out for ice cream, but I don't think I need to make dairy a regular part of my diet. I'm okay having it on a very irregular basis, but I think I'll keep it out of the house as much as I can.

(Also, I noticed that my day labels were off, so I didn't actually skip a day, I accidentally put one in twice)

Reintroduction Day 2

Meal 1: 2 sausages, 3 eggs, coffee w/cm creamer

Meal 2: Praline and cream latte from Costa (before work), House salad w/balsamic vinaigrette from M&S, antipasto selection, handful of almonds, apple

Meal 3: 2 chicken legs/thighs, steamed carrots, 1 sweet potato

I took my measurements and am absolutely astounded at the results.

Hips: 38.5"/36"

Waist: 33"/29.5"

Thighs: 24"/22.5"

In total, I lost 9 inches!! Holy cow! I haven't been able to get to the gym to weigh myself yet, but even so I am so happy with the results that it's made it easier for me to pretty much decide that this is how I'm going to live my life 99% of the time. Dairy has been fairly easy to reintroduce and decide I don't really want to keep eating it--I haven't had any major effects, although I did notice I felt slightly bloated and gassy after day 1. I had the latte yesterday because I really, REALLY wanted to try the flavor (I love holiday lattes) and I only got about five hours of sleep the night before and had to work a 6 1/2 hour shift. It was delicious, even though it was pretty sweet and it's probably the main dairy thing I may indulge in every so often. But really, I am cool drinking herbal tea or black coffee if I am in the situation for it.

Reintroduction Day 3

Meal 1: 2 sausages, 3 eggs, coffee w/cm creamer

Meal 2: 3 egg omelette w/turkey and cherry tomatoes, 1 sweet potato

Meal 3: 1 pork chop, Bowl of beef stew

Jameson is still sick, so I ended up laying in bed with him as soon as I got home from work this day. Definitely didn't eat enough, but at least it was all compliant--I felt the best this day since I didn't have any dairy!

Reintroduction Day 4

Meal 1: 3 sausages (w/gluten--SO NASTY!), 3 eggs, honey & lemon tea

Meal 2: Black coffee, bowl of stew, roasted brussel sprouts, 1/2 sweet potato, 1 apple, handful almonds, DONUT!

Meal 3: 1 pork chop, 1/2 sweet potato, bowl of stew, honey & lemon tea

Worked six hours yesterday with a sinus infection, which was awesome. Reintroduced gluten in the form of nasty sausages that have wheat in them and a donut that my boss promised for staying late at work the night before (how convenient).

First of all, the donut was so sweet that it hurt my teeth and even though I knew it didn't taste great, it still had that "food with no brakes" quality about it. I finished the first one after a few trips upstairs (I'd take a bite or two and then leave it, then come back for another bite), and had to talk myself out of having another one. I ended up having half of a jelly-filled one and it did NOT taste good...Just reconfirmed that sugary gluten carbs are foods that I need to stay away from (or exercise super control over). After that other half, however, I was able to look at that box of donuts and KNOW that I didn't want another one--too chemical, too greasy, and just too yuck.

Also, I felt pretty gross after eating it. Bloated, gassy, like I just needed to chill in the bathroom for awhile (EW). I didn't have as severe a reaction as I was expecting (like stomach pain, headache, etc), so maybe the "intolerance" I thought I had isn't as strong? Who knows. Regardless, gluten is a food that I will only be eating on the most special of occasions, and only if it's good (ie, homemade) gluten.

Reintroduction Day 5

Meal 1: 3 sausages w/wheat (Again, gross, but they were the last ones), 3 eggs, coffee w/cm creamer

Meal 2: Herbal chicken, vegetable broth, 1 sweet potato, 1/2 apple, 1/2 bowl butternut squash soup

Had gluten again today in order to finish off the gross sausages. Felt okay until the evening, when I started getting stomach cramps. I think that's what it was from??

Reintroduction Day 6

Meal 1: 3 egg omelette cooked in clarified butter w/chicken and cherry tomatoes, coffee w/cm creamer

Meal 2: Honey & lemon tea, Burger (w/wheat) w/ketchup & mayo (not tasty and too sweet. Yuck), 1/2 bowl butternut squash soup, Gluten-free fish and chips w/tartar sauce and ketchup

Meal 3: pork chop, bowl of butternut squash soup, 1/4 sweet potato, apple, banana

I'm sick and all I want to do is bake some cookies and eat comfort food. How do I find a balance between allowing myself to eat something less healthy and not completely jumping off the bandwagon? I don't want to slide down the slope too much, but I feel AWFUL, the whole family is sick, and I am kind of dying for some convenience pizza or cookies. As it is, the burgers we ate at lunch at gluten in them, but they were what we had in freezer to prep quickly and they actually sounded good.

I am so on-board with eating this way, but sometimes it's hard to figure out what my motives are behind some of the food I eat, and whether or not I should be indulging myself. I almost miss Whole30, just because I had rules and knew what I could and could not eat.

*FIL brought fish-and-chips over for lunch. Ate them even though the whole time I was thinking, "This is probably not worth it" not to mention that I couldn't taste any of it. Lesson learned: even though convenience and comfort food sounds good, it doesn't taste that way and it feels that way even less. I am not going to beat myself up about this or dwell on it, I am simply going to move on and make tonight's meal a compliant one and move forward. The end.

Hey Camille, sounds like you are having a rough time. Also sounds like you are managing the ups and downs well! I have heard the first week of reintroduction is very hard.....

Is there a plan or guidelines to follow? I haven't seen any and I don't have the book. I do get the whole30 daily, am hoping day30 has something....

Hey Juzbo, there is a reintroduction chapter in the book, and I am betting that they will cover it in the emails. Basically you reintroduce each "less healthy" food one at a time so you can figure out how your body handles it.

Reading the reintroduction section of the forum was helpful for me.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived