No Hangover

Hello! I know this has been brought up before, but I just didn't find much to make me feel better and of course everyone's situation is different.

My husband and I started the Whole 30 on 1/30, so we are currently on day 4. We eat the same things, in slightly different quantities (he usually eats a little more than I do). I am careful not to snack throughout the day and if I do, it's just a few almonds (less than a handful). I definitely do not snack everyday, only twice when I should have packed more food for lunch.

My eating habits prior to Whole 30 were very much grazing and an excess of sugary snacks throughout the day. I would say 50% of the time we were eating fairly clean (using Fresh20 meal planning for dinners and lunches).

I have taken the meal template to heart and look at it every time I prep a meal (this week has been my week to prep- next week is my husbands!)

Our typical breakfast is 1.5-2 eggs each and a handful of crumbled chorizo (the ingredients were compliant). I fill the rest of our plate with veggies- this morning was steamed carrots and broccoli (with ghee), another we had roasted gold potatoes. I slacked on the veggies the first day... But I have learned since! We also usually have some avocado, especially if there was no ghee involved. I drink a regular sized coffee cup of cold brew, black coffee with my breakfast. But trust me, I wake up hungry and am ready to eat everyday (my husband is a different story...)

I don't start getting hungry until about 11:30 most days. I do not snack at all between breakfast and lunch.

For the first 3 days, lunch was a big salad with grilled chicken thigh (about a palm sized portion), a hard boiled egg, cucumber and carrots. I did not eat it with dressing (I considered both of my ranch dressings failures because I did not like the taste) but I did eat it with avocado and salsa.

This is when I ended up eating a small handful of almonds two days in the afternoon. But I think I just did not give myself enough food to tide me over.

For dinner, I am careful to follow the meal template. We've had shredded mexican chicken thighs with roasted cauliflower, avocado, salsa. Last night in a pinch we had scrambled eggs with sauteed veggies (lots of broccoli, carrots, green beans and one gold potato) since the NomNomPaleo Kalua Pork was put in the pressure cooker too late for dinner (we had it for lunch today, SO GOOD.)

I am a little surprised by the fact that I have had no hangover yet. My husband has been very tired and had a headache for a couple of days, but I feel fine. Great, even. I am SHOCKED that I am not snacking. We have fruit with ONE meal a day (usually half a banana or half an orange with breakfast) and I could take it or leave it. But I bought it already, so I don't want to waste anything. I started to get a headache on the first night but went to bed and woke up without one. I usually go to bed with a headache and wake up feeling ten times worse.

Startlingly, I also have not had any sugar/soda/hazelnut coffee/cookie/ice cream cravings. I know the less sugar I have, the less I want. So maybe that's all it is....?

Am I doing something wrong? Am I just lucky? Maybe it will hit me a little later... I try not to go over board with the gold potatoes too, just to be safe. I mean, I don't WANT to feel terrible, but I want to do this right. Honestly, I feel really good. I am not sure how much of that is just a placebo in my mind at this point. I don't snack between breakfast and lunch or after dinner AT ALL. Which is totally unusual for me. I want to think that this is actually working, but I'm wondering if I am accidentally screwing it up. I check ingredients on EVERYTHING and honestly, almost ALL of what we eat is made from fresh food anyway.

Archived