Day 1 was something else. But I made it!

finkthewriter

I just wanted to give a quick update on Day 1 (which was yesterday):

So breakfast was delicious (frittata with spinach, onion, and tomatoes)! I was happy and excited! I also had an avocado, but I ate it when it wasn't quite ripe yet. It almost tasted like a melon. Weird.

Lunch was tuna mixed with homemade ranch dressing, spinach, and a side of fruit. I have now realized I can't stand tuna salad. I finished it, but still, I'm going to perhaps try to make something else with tuna from now on.

Dinner was going to be ground turkey with spaghetti squash and homemade tomato sauce, but I got a text from my mom saying she needed me to pick up a prescription. I'm an hour away from her in rush-hour traffic. So, at this point, if things get off-track, I get upset. I used to just go grab anything unhealthy. Instead, I talked to myself pretty much the drive from work to the store (which by the way, the prescription wasn't even in!), telling myself that life happens, and thought of something I could quickly make.

Spicy meat and potatoes! I bought some ground beef (my husband used the turkey for his dinner), then got some potatoes and diced and roasted them. Tossed them with cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and paprika. Added salsa, the ranch dressing, and guacamole, and it was so freaking delicious!

I'm so very proud of myself for not giving in to my impulse and going for something that I'd regret a few hours later. I took the time to think about why I wanted it, broke it down to what it really meant (I'm upset because I'm worried), and then imagined the food I would cook with all my senses.

I hope this trick keeps working for the next 29 days!

Archived