Free Food to A Good Home

BajaChick

I cleaned out cupboards today. And the freezer (so many frozen waffles). And the fridge. I have a box of pasta, rice, panko crumbs, oatmeal - all the stuff I filled my pantry with. I also went to Costco ($400 later...) and placed TWO orders on Amazon. I'm committed, and have all the stuff to make it happen. I even started my first slow cooker pork in anticipation of our habitual "Taco Tuesday". I think we'll like the menus. We're big fans of fresh and not-fake so I'm excited to make every single sauce/marinade/dressing from scratch. I have to say it's harder with two people, my husband's "in" too and it's one more lunch to figure out. I decided to make a big pot of chicken soup Sunday for the week, Homemade hicken stock, thighs, lots of veggies and several roots such as turnip, rutabaga, parsnip. He's not a fan of sweet potato so that's going to be tough. But it is a new adventure. I went from a new wife and Rice-a-Roni 25 years ago to making my own salad dressings for the past 4 years, so progress is possible. But is't crazy just how much is non-conforming! No wonder my Costco bill was so big. And I am sure the grocery bill tomorrow will be larger than normal too. Getting stocked with staples, so each week will just be a few things here and there. If the financial output isn't enough to make you commit, nothing is!

Looking forward to adventures in cooking and menu planning! And giving a big box of stuff to my next-door neighbor first thing tomorrow!

On 2/24/2017 at 7:41 PM, wyomingworried said:

so, is today your first day?  i start monday.  plan to shop tomorrow and sunday - no costco within 100 miles!

Good luck! My shopping turned out to be 4 stops; Whole Foods, Costco, Trader Joes and the regular grocery store. if there is a Trader Joes on the way to Costco, it was worth the stop. LOTS of great frozen veggies like already riced califlower @ $1.00, coconut milk and some great avocados @ 4/2.50 

I started yesterday, Sunday. 

Archived