bibith's whole 30 log

bibith

Hello! This is my first time doing Whole30. My husband Joe and I are both starting tomorrow. Tonight I will be cleaning out our kitchen, doing a stock up grocery trip, and doing a bit of cooking prep. I have done another elimination diet before (several times), and always struggle with reintroducing foods.

I have done EVERY diet you can name. Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, paleo, raw, vegan, macrobiotic, juice fasts, etc. I did the Hormone Reset twice last year and once this year and learned SOOO much. Cutting out grains, dairy, and sugar really had a huge impact and when they came back in - TROUBLE! I still believe strongly in the Hormone Reset, and see Whole30 as very complimentary.

The goal in doing this with my spouse is to make it easier to eliminate some foods for good (hi, tortilla chips, I'm talking to you!). This is the first time in 10 years together that we have done something like this as a couple, so curious to hear from other couples who have done this together. 

My goals are to become even more in tune with my body, workout with more energy and joy, SLEEP BETTER (will also be doing the 15 day Sleep Smarter challenge at the same time), and get my body ready for the MS 150 bike ride in June by figuring out what WHOLE foods I can eat when I'm doing endurance activities (instead of gels and cookies). 

Very excited to get started!

Day 1: My husband and I started today. Yesterday I started cleaning out the kitchen and did a grocery trip. We finished cleaning out the cupboards this morning and were SHOCKED that almost half of what we had in the cupboards we non-compliant. We moved these foods to the pantry since there will be mutiny with the kids if we purge everything, but also vowed not to replace those items once they are gone. Also, our youngest daughter is vegetarian. Planning to keep tofu and veggie burgers around just for her (the rest of us will eat fish and chicken). Goal is to have the kids try it too, but I know they will not be able to do the Whole 30 since when they visit their father there are a lot of baked goods. Any advice there?

Day One meals: 

• Breakfast: Organic eggs and shredded zucchini, sweet potatoes, fresh fruit salad, and espresso. 
  • Lunch: Hard boiled eggs, fruit, snap peas. 
  • Dinner: Salmon, cauliflower rice with coconut milk, broccoli. 
  • Snack: Epic turkey stick, pickles. 

Tonight I will make homemade Whole30 compliant ketchup and mayo...and break the news to the kids that we will be candy free, ice cream free, junk food free house forever! 

Day 3 - so far so good! Not feeling hungry all the time at all. Was a little weak/tired this morning but I think that is related to a medical procedure I had yesterday. By late morning I was feeling awesome. Definitely doing this as a couple and hoping when we do it again we will do it as a family.  

Just went through the vitamins I take every day. One has rice powder/flour (what!?) and another has a glaze that contains soy. Guess I will be tacking on a few extra days at the end and hunting for these that don't have the non-compliant ingredients.  OR, I will just skip taking them. 

Day 6! So far, so good. We have been perfect in terms of WHAT we eat, but need to reign in portion sizes and snacking in between meals (even if we are snacking on approved foods). Since I didn't eat much meat before the Whole30, I am starting to take enzymes today to help with digestion. Energy is really up today which feels awesome!

Hello @bibith and welcome to Whole30. If you follow the meal template, you'll find you can easily go 4-5 hours (or more) without snacking. If your meal schedule or activity level is such that you did need a snack, make it a mini meal of protein + fat or veggies. 

You should be eating 3-4 eggs (or as many as you can hold in your hand) when eggs are your only protein. And where are your fats? You need 1-2 thumbs (or the equivalent servings of avocado or olives, etc) EVERY meal. The fat is really essential for satiety and well-being. And remember to fill your plate with veggies.

You can find the template here.

Thanks! We stocked up on eggs and cashews this weekend, so I'll start stashing a small snack to help me get through the day. Not as much of an issue today, but then I had two eggs at breakfast, and lean meat in my lunch. 

17 minutes ago, bibith said:

Thanks! We stocked up on eggs and cashews this weekend, so I'll start stashing a small snack to help me get through the day. Not as much of an issue today, but then I had two eggs at breakfast, and lean meat in my lunch. 

Watch out for the nuts--they've derailed many a Whole30. At most, eat a closed handful every other day (for me, that's 6-7 almonds, I.e. not a lot).

Day 7! Feeling really good! Had a great bike ride home from work last night - taking the hillier long route home. Hard to believe it has been a whole week.

Decided today that I would start logging what I eat here. I used to use Lose It to track everything I ate, and I am sort of missing it. Looking for accountability and advice. No idea if I've lost any weight because I haven't stepped on the scale since Day 1, but I feel good and clothes are fitting a bit better. Oh, also added in some digestive enzymes as of yesterday, because I'm eating waaaaay more animal protein than I have in years. 

Day 7 (May 16th):

• Breakfast: Espresso with coconut milk, two eggs scrambled with basil, 1/2 avocado, sauteed zucchini and red potato.  
  • Post-commute morning snack: Lara Bar, La Croix
  • Lunch: Left overs from dinner (Chicken stir fry with bell peppers, onion, carrot, and coconut milk, riced cauliflower), fresh fruit salad (watermelon, honeydew melon, cantaloupe, banana, apples, strawberries). 
  • Dinner/Evening snack: Handful of cashews and pepitas 
  • Dinner? Not sure - may have to skip dinner since we have a busy evening. 
  • Exercise: Commuting (Daily total will be around 15 miles total for today), dog walk, light housework 

Archived