Annie's Daily Log. Started half way. Day 15

I didn't realize I could just start my own Whole 30 journey log - all by myself for myself. Feels nice to just list my meals and issues and not feel I'm taking up space on another string that I'm on.

The past two days my body has been needing downtime (had runny tummy coz of something I ate - dunno know what) ...so I've been on bone broth (purchased) , butternut squash and apple sauce and zucchini. All cooked together as a soup. I feel hungry but not when I have the soup. I think by tonight or tomorrow I'll feel safe to start eating solid foods again.

Thank you!

I'm feeling a lot better. Took a few days to re-callibrate...had the broths and later added eggs. All Whole30 compliant.  But when I started back on food I pigged out on ... sweet potato fries! I know - crazy. At least I made them myself, but still... I had them with ground turkey and zucchini. And of course, avocado - didn't want to over tax my sensitive tummy.

Today I've had my fill of eggs so about to eat veggies and a different kind of sweet potato. With red and yellow peppers and either olie oil or avocado. I know - no meat. I'm not well prepared..I have tuna but can't stand tuna. We'll see whether I can cover it in mustard enough to be palatable.

Till next time.

Not sure what's going on. Had runny tummy again today. I ate lots of blueberries today. Also licked coconut oil  and I'm beginning to think that's what might be causing the problem. I read up that it can do that. lol.  Annoying.

Also trying to figure out whether I have a sugar issue. I don't eat sweets typically, but on the Whole30 I've found myself eating lots more sweet potatoes/yams than I think is warranted. Is tat my sugar fix? Or carb fix? I ate like a vegan before transitioning and so had lots more healthy carbs like lentils and beans. I barely ate rice though. Puzzling.

• 4 weeks later...

June 22 and this is the day 9 of my 2nd Whole30. I completed the 1st Whole30  end of May. It went fabulously well, give or take a runny tummy here and there and a few issues. My main reasons for doing a second one eight away, which I decided I would in the third week of the last one are:

1) To reduce sugar cravings (chase away the sugar dragon) and figure out what triggers the cravings - especially at night after dinner just before bed.

2) Establish the cooking and eating habits I'd begun been working on in the first Whole 30.  

3) To get comfortable cooking meat and enough animal protein (which includes eggs, fish) at every meal. Before Whole 30 and a plan just before it, I was eating like a vegetarian, and before that I was eating like a vegan for some years, so it's a major switch to be cooking meat again.  During the Whole30, I stocked up on healthy, delicious Whole 30 compliant meat products from Trader Joes' so I wouldn't have to handle raw meat with my hands too much; and now would like to start cooking meats and soups, ideally grass fed, while including the Trader Joes' chicken and turkey burgers and grilled chicken as quickie meals and as backups in my freezer. I highly recommend them).  I only got around to cooking a few familiar dishes and aim to cook meats more often. I've gotten over the yuk factor for the most part, and I've seen how much energy and stability I've gotten eating meats again. With vegan food I felt very light and 'clean'. It was lovely. But I needed more protein and now I feel more grounded and solid. I can do more, last all day with good energy.

4) Try new recipes. I like simple few ingredients stuff, and the "Whole30" has lots I can do. "Well Fed" by Melissa J. has helped with batch cooking as has "Nom Nom Paleo." They all have a few sauces I'd like to try. I've never been big on sauces but for clean eating looks like a good addition. Since I have always used spices, their  recipes fit right in with my ideas. I also found wonderful reicpes online to mess around with. So far my teen son has been thrilled that I'm eating meats again (I let him keep eating meat as he's growing and I don't want to mess with new diets while I'm still figuring out what works best for me.  But I didn't cook it from scratch. Trusty Trader Joes' has healthy meals he likes). He loves what I've cooked so far.  I'm hoping he'll join me in trying new ways of preparing food. He's already become expert at making omeletes, especially stuffed with veggies.

5) Practice and establish Food Planning habits. It's been unbelievably hard to figure out how to meal prep, shop based on my list and stick with it for more than a day or two. I'm so 'free style' and usually get to the store and find what looks good and fresh and buy that rather than whatever I think I wanted to cook. As I'm writing this, (I'm treating this as a journal - hope that is fine - maybe no-one will read it anyway), a new idea is coming to me: I could write down a list of 6-8 different possible meals I MIGHT like to cook (lunches & dinners) for the week, and shop according to whichever one involves foods that look fresh and attract me to them.  Then AFTER that I can write the meals for the week, still leaving room for choosing on the fly. Or cooking 4-5 dinners at once and eating whatever we're  in the mood for.  Right now it is heat wave time, and suddenly I have to figure out and plan cold or non-cook meals (too hot to cook). 

Archived