How to know if Whole30 has helped Hashimoto's symptoms?

Hi! I was wondering how people who have either eliminated their Hashi's symtpoms, or been able to reduce their synthroid dosage, were able to know that they should reduce/eliminate synthroid? Sorry if I missed a post on this already, I couldn't find one in the forum though. The reason I ask is that my doctor has directed me to continue taking my synthroid while doing my Whole30 (I'm doing it for 90 days this time though - after a by-the-book round of Whole30 earlier this year, my TSH levels doubled, so I felt like this time needed to be longer).

I agree with my doctor that it makes sense for me to continue taking my synthroid. I personally get very tired, moody, and at times depressed when my T3/T4 levels are low; it would be way more difficult to stick with an eating regime if I'm super emotional and fatigued. However, I'm wondering HOW they'll be able to test if my thyroid is functioning properly, IF 90 days of Whole30 eating helps to heal my immune system enough?

My doctor has made it clear that she will NOT recommend reducing or eliminating my dosage of synthroid without lab work to back it up (she's pretty skeptical of the Whole30 to help heal Hashimoto's. Actually, she doesn't even believe that there's any reason to diagnose Hashi's, as opposed to hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's after going to see a naturopath, who ordered blood work for the antibodies. My doctor does not believe in "holistic" methods, and won't work with the naturopath :mellow:).

Have others seen their TSH levels drop right off? I'm on quite a low dosage of synthroid as it is (75mg/day) so I'm worried that my TSH levels won't lower enough to warrant a dosage decrease, even if my Thyroid starts functioning better. Have some possibly seen symptoms of hyperthyroidism that prompted a dosage change?

Or, do most people just go off of it entirely and see what happens? I'm pretty reluctant to try this myself, as I feel so terrible when my levels aren't right. One of my secret wishes is that I'll be able to live a medication free life. Trying not to get my hopes up, but I have to admit that I want it desperately. Being 24 and told you need to take daily pills for the rest of your life, and there's nothing you can do about it, SUCKS :(

I have Hashimoto's, and I would never stop my Synthroid.  Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease where thyroid tissue has been destroyed.  Eating a Whole 30 diet may reduce the antibodies and prevent future damage to the thyroid, but, based on the thyroid tissue that has already been destroyed, I think you will need Synthroid (or thyroid replacement) for the rest of your life.

I am like you and don't believe in taking medications.  But I know I need the Synthroid.  If you try to lower it on your own or stop it, I think you will feel very tired and depressed.

You can see if the Whole 30 is helping by testing for antibodies.  I think you will see them decrease -- which is a good thing.  For most people on a conventional diet, over time, their antibodies will increase, thyroid function will decrease, and they will need more and more Synthroid.

Good luck :)

On 8/22/2017 at 6:45 AM, krenzel16 said:

I have Hashimoto's, and I would never stop my Synthroid.  Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease where thyroid tissue has been destroyed.  Eating a Whole 30 diet may reduce the antibodies and prevent future damage to the thyroid, but, based on the thyroid tissue that has already been destroyed, I think you will need Synthroid (or thyroid replacement) for the rest of your life.

I am like you and don't believe in taking medications.  But I know I need the Synthroid.  If you try to lower it on your own or stop it, I think you will feel very tired and depressed.

You can see if the Whole 30 is helping by testing for antibodies.  I think you will see them decrease -- which is a good thing.  For most people on a conventional diet, over time, their antibodies will increase, thyroid function will decrease, and they will need more and more Synthroid.

Good luck :)

Thanks! That's a good way of looking at it, that there has been damage done, and everything I do from here is just preventing further damage. I guess I just got caught up in all those hype-y posts "I did Whole30 and have completely reversed [insert autoimmune disease]!" 

Either way, at 17 out of 90 days, I'm already feeling so much better than I did 2 weeks ago, so I guess that's the important part :)

I've been on the autoimmune protocol for 6 months now (started with Whole 30).  I don't see myself ever getting off of meds.  My antibodies are currently rock bottom and I feel a lot better, but the damage from years of undiagnosed Hashis is done.  I hope that this lifestyle change helps prevent future damage.  I also hate taking meds!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 5:33 PM, whole30canadian said:

Hi! I was wondering how people who have either eliminated their Hashi's symtpoms, or been able to reduce their synthroid dosage, were able to know that they should reduce/eliminate synthroid? Sorry if I missed a post on this already, I couldn't find one in the forum though. The reason I ask is that my doctor has directed me to continue taking my synthroid while doing my Whole30 (I'm doing it for 90 days this time though - after a by-the-book round of Whole30 earlier this year, my TSH levels doubled, so I felt like this time needed to be longer).

I agree with my doctor that it makes sense for me to continue taking my synthroid. I personally get very tired, moody, and at times depressed when my T3/T4 levels are low; it would be way more difficult to stick with an eating regime if I'm super emotional and fatigued. However, I'm wondering HOW they'll be able to test if my thyroid is functioning properly, IF 90 days of Whole30 eating helps to heal my immune system enough?

My doctor has made it clear that she will NOT recommend reducing or eliminating my dosage of synthroid without lab work to back it up (she's pretty skeptical of the Whole30 to help heal Hashimoto's. Actually, she doesn't even believe that there's any reason to diagnose Hashi's, as opposed to hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's after going to see a naturopath, who ordered blood work for the antibodies. My doctor does not believe in "holistic" methods, and won't work with the naturopath :mellow:).

Have others seen their TSH levels drop right off? I'm on quite a low dosage of synthroid as it is (75mg/day) so I'm worried that my TSH levels won't lower enough to warrant a dosage decrease, even if my Thyroid starts functioning better. Have some possibly seen symptoms of hyperthyroidism that prompted a dosage change?

Or, do most people just go off of it entirely and see what happens? I'm pretty reluctant to try this myself, as I feel so terrible when my levels aren't right. One of my secret wishes is that I'll be able to live a medication free life. Trying not to get my hopes up, but I have to admit that I want it desperately. Being 24 and told you need to take daily pills for the rest of your life, and there's nothing you can do about it, SUCKS :(

Do not stop taking your medication without consulting with your doctor! So much damage has already been done, it's really not safe to deprive your body of something it needs.

I've been where you are, though. I've had the same symptoms and thought I'd never see the light at the end of the tunnel, but stick with it. Things will improve, believe it or not! Listen to your body, first and foremost. I kept a journal during my first Whole30 and kept track not only of the food I ate but also my pain levels, emotional well-being, sleep, and whatever else I was struggling with at the time. It's easier to then look back and see how much things have improved. Or, if they haven't, you can go back and see what wasn't working.

Personally, part of my problem was Synthroid itself. I needed to remove the synthetic hormone from my system and get on something more natural. Once I did, coupled with a healthier diet, I felt like a new person. But it took a lot of trial and error for me to discover this.

You're 24, there IS still a chance that you won't need medication for the rest of your life. Stick with healing your body and find a doctor you feel will support you. It's not an overnight solution, but things will get better.

Archived