Day 1: Here we go!

jadore43210

Well today is the day. Since my best friend, Kelly, tried and succeeded at the Whole30 last spring, I've been considering it on and off, but it never seemed like a good time. "I'll be in Guatemala for a few weeks over the summer." "I'm in graduate school and don't want to be more stressed out during finals week." "I want to be able to drink at my sister's birthday celebration." There were, and always will be, excuses not to dedicate the time and energy to doing the Whole30. This year, my fourth year of graduate school and the second year of my PhD, has been the busiest yet. Enrolled in four classes, teaching an undergraduate course and making a big life change in the form of switching fields... Perhaps it was all of this that made me turn to food, as has been my habit for my whole life: emotional eating. The past couple months have been horrid in terms of my diet and eating out. Whenever I eat at home, it's fairly healthy and nearly Whole30 approved (yay!), but eating out is where I throw all caution to the wind and eat whatever junk my body is craving. All these things culminated to exacerbate my gastrointestinal problems more than ever! Finally, after realizing how much my GI problems have genuinely been affecting my life and getting in the way of simple things, I decided to invest the time and energy to make a change. I'm dedicating the next thirty days to invest in my health and to come to truly understand my body. Body, what do you like? What makes you happy? What makes you unhappy? What makes you tired and depressed? What gives you energy? While I'm dissatisfied with my weight and my skin at the moment (which is a new challenge for me, as I've never had skin issues in the past), these are ultimately not my motives for committing to the Whole30. I need to take care of my body and understand it. I am choosing to invest in my health for these 30 days. I don't anticipate that it will be easy, and I'm sure I'll struggle at various times throughout the process, but I'm laying my weaknesses out there looking for some encouragement and people to run alongside me in this process. Thank you for listening, and I look forward to embarking on this journey with all of you!

2 minutes ago, kellyrae11 said:

Super excited for you! :D You better believe that everyone struggles the first time around but it's an incredibly eye-opening process. You are going to do great!

Okay so awkward turtle, I forgot my old password so I created a new account. Buuut then I remembered my password so this is my actual account. Ahaha. Moving on...

• 2 weeks later...

Well today was rough as hell. I've entered into the stage where I'm getting cranky looking at everyone else's food and frustrated that I can't eat it. I'm finding myself getting a little sick of the food that I've been making. Given that I'm a graduate student who teaches, I'm very scraped for time and have been repeating a lot of the same things. Well, I was fed up with it, so I decided to make another Trader Joe's run this evening, even though it's WAY out of my way. I was determined to make something that felt different and special to me. So I did, and it was the best recipe yet!! I had seconds and can't wait to have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Coconut curry shrimp for the win!

Tip: if you're feeling extra blah about what you've been eating, look up a recipe that you can't wait to try and go for it!

IMG_6018.JPG

Archived