wzrdreams - Whole30 Reset JAN2018

WZRDREAMS

Whole 30 January 2018

Starting weight – 220lbs . Ready to re-slay the sugar dragon. Hoping for improved skin and energy levels, and rediscovering my willpower. 
This is my 2nd Whole 30, I did it last January and it was a really great experience that I'd like to make an annual tradition, and hopefully improve on the better habits I learned last year. Since last year I cut done on my overall dairy intake and reduced the amount of sugar and grains I ate for the most part. The latter half of 2017 things started sliding back into sugarland so I'm happy to start fresh with the Reset in January. I am NOT interested in receiving criticism or negative feedback; please keep your judgement to yourself. If you can Whole30 better then me, good for you! 

Day 1 January 1, 2018 - Monday

Brunch: compliant breakfast sausage patty, 2eggs pan cooked in ghee; sweet potato, kale, garlic, shallot hash.

Snack: mixed nuts, seaweed, tea. Seltzer with Pomegranate seeds.

Dinner: Baked salmon, olive oil, lemon wedge. Baked Sweet potato. Side salad: romaine, red onion, carrot, Tessamae’s Zesty Ranch.

Day 2 January 2, 2018 – Tuesday – Back to work

Breakfast: 2 hard-boiled eggs. Banana. Black coffee.

Lunch: Pret a Manger harvest salad: mixed greens, green apple, butternut squash, beets, grilled chicken, walnuts (I removed the ricotta cheese) and olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing. Baked Salmon left overs & pomegranate seeds.

Snack: mixed nuts, orange, herbal tea.

Must stop at Whole Foods on the way home and get some compliant balsamic vinegar, bacon, cashews.

5 pm. Started to feel a head ache and tummy rumble. 

Dinner: Sautéed (olive oil and ghee) Chicken Apple & breakfast sausage, mashed sweet potato, collard greens sautéed with onions. Seltzer & Pomegranate seed.

Day 3 January 3, 2018 – Wednesday – Proto Fit

I had a dream where I accidentally ate half a slice of cherry pie before realizing what I had done.

Breakfast: tea and some stone fruit – black berry,blue berry, straw berry pineapple. I missed my chance to eat my eggs and get coffee.  Feeling exhausted because day 3 + missed breakfast.

Lunch: Baked Salmon left overs & pomegranate seeds. Baby Spinach, Sweet potato, olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing. 2 hard boiled eggs. Tea and La Croix

Snack: mixed nuts, herbal tea.

Dinner: Sautéed (olive oil and ghee) something & Seltzer & Pomegranate seed.

Day 4 January 4, 2018 – Thursday – Bomb Cyclone

Very snowy day. Went to work anyway. Got to leave early and went straight home.

Breakfast: hot coffee, hard boiled eggs and a banana

Lunch: Pret a Manger harvest salad: mixed greens, green apple, butternut squash, beets, grilled chicken, walnuts (I removed the ricotta cheese) and olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing. La Croix seltzer

Dinner: Roast chicken thighs, roasted sweet potato, and Seltzer & Pomegranate seeds.

I roasted a big beet to go with chicken left overs and I roasted the butternut squash.

Day 5 January 5, 2018 – Friday – Bomb Cyclone

Stayed home! Got up early and ate breakfast and worked on my party dress. Went to Target in the afternoon for Soiree supplies. Stayed up till past 1am finishing the dress. It turned out GREAT!

First week observations: headaches early on that have subsided, urine shaded orange (at first I thought “I do NOT have a urinary tract infection… what the?” and then thought I was spotting, but I’m not), more regular bowel movements.

Breakfast: Cold Brew coffee, pan cooked eggs, chicken apple sausage (ghee) baby spinach, pomegranate seeds, Tessamae’s zesty ranch (still too peppery for my taste)

Lunch: chicken and beets left overs.

Dinner: chicken and beets left overs and something else (?).  Seltzer & Pomegranate seeds.

NEED TO EAT MORE VEGGIES.

Day 6 January 6, 2018 – Saturday – Soiree Day

Brunch: Iced cold brew with almond milk. Compliant chicken apple sausage (1), 2eggs pan cooked in ghee, baby spinach, and pomegranate seeds.

Soiree Snacks: So much seltzer, toasted pecans with rosemary, olives, carrots, grapes.

Dinner: Steak, butternut squash soup (yellow onion, shallot, garlic, carrot, chopped epic pork bacon, green onions)

Day 7 January 7, 2018 – Sunday

Went to Hoboken NJ with friends for church and breakfast.

Breakfast: Iced cold brew with almond milk. Fancy Diner: Hot black coffee, 2 scrambled farm fresh eggs, hash browns (don’t ask, don’t tell…. But I think these may have been store bought and therefore may not have been compliant)

Lunch: Small Orange and …. I CAN’T REMEMBER!!

Snack: mixed nuts, 2 turkish apricots

Dinner: Roasted chicken, cauliflower “rice” pan cooked till crispy in olive oil with sliced carrots and shallots. Twice cooked baby potatoes (boiled till tender, tossed with olive oil and herbs till slightly mushy, then roasted.  Seltzer. Delicious meal. Aaron liked it.

Also roasted another butternut squash for more soup this week.

Day 8 January 8, 2018 - Monday

Lower back pain – No idea why. Could be post soiree / heels or PMS??

Breakfast: Running late so just iced cold brew, Blue berry RX bar and a few pieces of Epic bacon jerky.

Lunch: Leftovers from last night dinner: Roasted chicken, cauliflower “rice” w/ carrots & shallots. Twice cooked baby potatoes, added baby spinach and a compliant bacon strip. Olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing. Seltzer and an orange.

Snack: mixed nuts, hot tea.

Dinner: Salmon cakes (using Chef John /Food wishes recipe… my home made mayo, capers, celery, red pepper, onion, garlic, almond flour for binder) on a bed of spinach. Homemade ketchup, half a lemon. Seltzer.

Made chicken salad: with left over roast chicken and home-made mayo, celery, red onion, chopped Turkish apricots, chopped raw walnuts, oregano, cumin, curry powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper.

Made Ketchup: with Organic tomato paste, Apple Cider, Apple cider vinegar, chopped apricots, salt, pepper, onion powder.

Day 9 January 9, 2018 - Tuesday

Still back pain – it sucks.

Breakfast: Running late so just iced cold brew, banana and a few pieces of Epic bacon jerky.

Lunch: Hale & Hearty salad – spinach, grilled chicken, broccoli, grapes, walnuts, beets, squash or yam, red onion, carrot, cucumber. Seltzer.

Snack: mixed nuts, hot tea, Epic bacon

Dinner: Left over Salmon cakes & ketchup. A few spoonfuls of chicken salad.

Day 10 January 10, 2018 – Wednesday

Still Back pain!

Breakfast: home-made iced cold brew & almond milk. Baby spinach, shaved carrot, pomegranate seeds, 2 strips bacon, 2 eggs pan fried in ghee.

Lunch: Home-made chicken salad… so effing good!!! I meant to pick up some veggie or fruit but forgot. La Croix.

Was complimented on my lunch break by the shop keeper at one my favorite stores that I look slimmer lately. 
I had noticed this morning that my clothes feel a little looser... just a little, but I'll take it.

Snack: mixed nuts, hot tea, Epic bacon. I was so hungry today! I need to do better about making sure I get enough veggies at lunch and breakfast. That is the challenge.

Dinner: Baked Sweet potato, ketchup, Sauteed kale with garlic. Pork chops.  Seltzer with the remaining pomegranate seeds.
Very tired of having no free time. All time goes to cooking dinner and doing dishes. The upside is I haven’t found myself without food options. Yay for a stocked refrigerator!

Right on, thumbs up sister! :) 
Your back pain could have to do with the detox - sounds weird, but I've had it a couple of times that symptoms get worse on detox before they get better.
Depending on the type of pain, you might benefit from slow walks various times a day, a couple of relieving gentle stretches, or using a foam roller. Any gentle movement in combination with good hydration will often help. I realize I need a lot more water on W30 because I increase my protein intake a lot - maybe any or all of that helps you find what works for you? (Disclaimer: I'm a certified yoga instructor, but certainly not a medical professional, so just take it like an experienced girlfriend making suggestions)

You are a few days ahead of me but even now I can already feel the benefits. I get lazy with the cooking part, so it is good to read through your list and get inspired ;) 

Thank you kittycat for that perspective and suggestion! I definitely feel better when standing and moving around so I'm going to take your advice and get walking and stretching. I'm definitely staying hydrated, though a bit heavy on the caffeine so perhaps I need to cut back on the tea and drink more water. 

Day 11 January 11, 2018 – Thursday

I started the month with some hormonal cystic acne and it’s almost clear again and no new break outs.

Still Back pain! I need to make time for some yoga. Weekend goals.

Breakfast: Iced black cold brew, 2 hard-boiled eggs and 2 slices crispy bacon. I was running late so I didn’t have time to sit down with some spinach salad.

Lunch: Pret a Manger salad: mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, grilled chicken, avocado, walnuts (I removed the dried cranberries because who knows if has added sugar or not) and olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing. Iced green tea.

Snack: cashews, Lara bar (fruits and greens), seaweed, herbal tea.

Dinner: Steak and steamed broccoli finished in the pan fond with pan sauteed red onion and red peppers.

On 1/11/2018 at 10:01 AM, WZRDREAMS said:

Thank you kittycat for that perspective and suggestion! I definitely feel better when standing and moving around so I'm going to take your advice and get walking and stretching. I'm definitely staying hydrated, though a bit heavy on the caffeine so perhaps I need to cut back on the tea and drink more water. 

Hey dear, how is your back? I also remembered there your kidneys are in that region, so if you are detoxing heavily, that may also manifest itself in some pain there, especially if you say you have to remember hydrating enough.

And yes, yoga is good :)

Day 12 January 12, 2018 – Friday

I had a dream that someone brought a chocolatey babka to the office and I was cut a huge slice while saying “I don’t care! I’ll start over day one tomorrow!!” It was a lovely dream. Then I woke up and it was day 12!! :)

Breakfast: Ice black coffee, 3 hard boiled eggs, 2 slices bacon and 1 banana

Lunch: Pret a Manger salad: mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, grilled chicken, avocado, walnuts (I removed the dried cranberries because who knows if has added sugar or not) and olive oil & balsamic vinegar dressing. Waterloo brand grapefruit seltzer.

I went to Whole Foods at lunch and picked up the Nom Nom Paleo Magic Mushroom Powder and Primal Kitchen Green Goddess dressing. Sadly, there was no Nom Nom on the hot bar.

Dinner: Roasted sweet potato, and butternut squash soup (carrots, yellow onion, garlic, broth, magic mushroom powder), chicken apple sausage & Seltzer.

Day 13 January 13, 2018 – Saturday

Slept in, made chicken stock, did Laundry, hung out with Aaron.

Breakfast: sautéed kale with garlic and 1 chicken apple sausage. Iced cold brew with almond milk. Cold brew (DD) black while doing laundry.

Lunch: In the morning I had made a quick batch of chicken salad: wing and back meat morsels, celery, red onion, home made mayo, one chopped Turkish apricot, curry powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Dinner:  Butter nut squash soup: roasted butternut squash, sweet onion, carrots, garlic, magic mushroom powder, unsalted chicken stock and bone broth, dash of almond milk, with Epic bison bacon shredded on top.

Day 14 January 14, 2018 – Sunday

Church Coffee hour: Black coffee. As usual, there were a bunch of delicious sugary pastries and cakes. It is very tempting and gets me in the feels. I keep having dreams about sugary baked goods. Sugar is definitely my kryptonite.

Lunch: Butternut squash soup topped with some Epic bison bacon shreds.

Late afternoon: Large Navel Orange, 2 compliant hot dogs with home-made ketch up. Mixed nuts, 2 turkish apricots.

Dinner: Stewed tomato chicken, cauliflower rice pan cooked till crispy in olive oil with sliced carrots and shallots (salt, pepper, oregano, garlic and onion powder, cayenne) . Seltzer.

Y'all.... My back still hurts.  I am interested in the possibility that it may be a part of my kidney's and prolonged detox,  but given the specificity of the pain I think it unlikely to be related. The pain is definitely concentrated on one side, and feels worse when I move certain ways and after sitting for a prolonged period of time. This leads me to believe that I somehow strained my back or pulled a muscle.  I'll keep updating on that front because it's rather unusual ailment for me.

Hey wzrdreams,

I love your dream! I haven’t had any weird food dreams yet. I am so sorry about your back. That stinks. I lived on a heating pad. Stretched it out everyday and took Epsom salt baths. 

I went out to lunch yesterday and had to ask for a special order... I’m going to have to do the same today... 

Keep up the great work. I hope you feel better!

Day 15 January 15, 2018 – Monday – HALF WAY!!

Update: I still have lower back pain. I haven’t made time for yoga or stretching. I must prioritize.

Breakfast: Iced cold brew, 3 egg omelet with spinach, mushrooms, onion, and peppers, home fries. Passion fruit La Croix & a medium Banana.

Lunch: Hale & Hearty salad: mixed greens, grilled chicken, walnuts, beets, olives, carrots, cucumbers, red onions, peppers, hale & hearty vinaigrette dressing (the only one with complaint ingredients).

Snack: mixed nuts, hot tea. Lara bar – fruits and greens.

I’ve been feeling hungry all day in spite of eating a good breakfast and a huge salad. Something is off in my meal balance. I went to the store and only walked out with kale and seltzer. I’m getting tired of food in general. 

Dinner: Hamburger sliders on sweet potato “buns”, with lettuce, red onion and home-made ketchup. Seltzer. I followed the recipe in the Whole30 book, (1/2” discs, pan cooked for 5 minutes per side, then seasoned w/ salt & pepper) and I wasn’t very impressed with the result. My “bun” to burger ratio was heavily tilted toward bun and the texture certainly wouldn’t fool anyone. I think I’ll try again with thinner slices. I may also try Japanese sweet potatoes which have a starchier flavor.

Day 16 January 16, 2018 - Tuesday

Back pain update: it is sometimes accompanied by right butt-cheek muscle pain. I STILL haven’t found time for yoga. I do think I need to see a doctor, but I suspect that I would be advised to try stretching and hot baths and such first, so I think I need to DO that first.

Breakfast: Iced cold brew, 3 egg omelet with spinach, mushrooms, onion, and peppers, home fries.

Lunch: Hale & Hearty salad: mixed greens, grilled chicken, walnuts, beets, olives, carrots, cucumbers, red onions, peppers, hale & hearty Italian vinaigrette dressing (the only one with complaint ingredients).

Snack: mixed nuts, hot tea, Epic bacon bites.

Dinner: Butternut squash soup (w/ onion, carrot, garlic), kale sautéed in avocado oil with garlic and nomnompaleo magic mushroom powder & 2 compliant beef hot dogs sliced and browned in a pan.

Day 17 January 17, 2018 – Wednesday

Update: I took an Epsom salt hot bath last night. It was lovely. I still have back pain. A co worker has the exact same symptoms as me… he thinks it’s his sciatic nerve. I now feel old. Contemplating getting a massage.

Breakfast: Iced cold brew, 3 hard boiled eggs, a medium banana and an orange.

Lunch: Maison Kaiser salad: mixed greens, grilled salmon, cauliflower, roasted julienned beets, carrots, red onions, julienned carrots, shaved apples, oil and balsamic dressing.

Snack: mixed nuts, epic bison bites, hot tea.

Dinner: Recent Instagram recipe from @confessionsofacleanfoodie – “brunch skillet” minus the avocado: diced bacon, hot dog, onion, red pepper, sweet potato, spinach pan sautéed in stages and finished in the oven. So delicious!! I could see adding sautéed mushrooms perhaps as a substitute for one of the meats. Also, I didn’t use any ghee as called for because the browned bacon (Wellshire farms Paleo) left plenty of bacon fat in the pan to sautee the onions and peppers. While I was prepping my ingredients I baked the rest of the package of bacon in the pre heating oven and saved the rest of the bacon fat and used an extra tsp of that to pan cook the sweet potato.

Hung out on the couch after dinner with a hot water bottle on my back, then went to bed with it.

TRAVEL: Going to Memphis this weekend with a colleague – Prepping my emergency food:

I am flying basic coach, which means no access to the overhead bins and only one bag that fits under the seat.
I will be gone all day Saturday (6:45 am flight out) and all day Sunday (11:44 pm arriving return flight).

A few days ago I stopped at a CVS near my office (Times Square/Garment District area) and was able to pick up some Epic Bars in flavors I've been wanting to try and that Whole foods doesn’t carry along with some olive snack packs. At my neighborhood store I bought some baby carrot snack packs and some individual packets of almond butter

I also reached out to the BBQ place we are going to to see if they can recommend something on the menu without soy and sugar. They got back to me really quickly and though my options are very limited, they are not completely out.

WISH ME LUCK.

This may sound really weird ...However, I am a little on that spectrum lol. But, when my sciatic kicks in I stand on my head. For some reason it puts everything back into alignment. Remember I am not a doctor , I am just a weird person who will try anything before going to the doctor.

3 minutes ago, Carolyn 1 said:

This may sound really weird ...However, I am a little on that spectrum lol. But, when my sciatic kicks in I stand on my head. For some reason it puts everything back into alignment. Remember I am not a doctor , I am just a weird person who will try anything before going to the doctor.

Thank you for that suggestion! I still need to make that time for yoga stretches. I'm now remembering everytime my instructor would mention when a pose was good for the sciatic pain. Maybe while I'm killing time in my hotel room this weekend.

Day 18 January 18, 2018 – Thursday

Breakfast: Iced black cold brew, Left over brunch skillet and a pan friend egg (ghee).

Lunch: Nom Nom Paleo from Whole Foods hot bar: pineapple pulled pork and roasted potatoes, and some steamed carrots.

Picked up some extra snack stuff for my trip: olives, epic bites, an RX bar and another packet of almond butter (new brand).

Snack: Stone Fruit and an Orange, herbal tea.

Dinner: Salmon, pan cooked in Avocado oil. Roasted butter nut squash and cauliflower rice pan fried with ghee, red pepper, shallot, garlic, ginger and carrot. Sooooo good! I made enough for lunch tomorrow. Seltzer.

I did some “sciatic stretching” (thanks google) before bed. 
Even though my dinner was delicious, I really want a glass of wine and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Day 19 January 19, 2018 – Friday

Back pain still there, but slightly better.

Breakfast: Ice black coffee, 2 fried eggs (ghee), roasted sweet potato bun left overs, roasted butternut squash left overs, spinach.

Lunch: Dinner left overs: Salmon, pan cooked in Avocado oil. Roasted butter nut squash and cauliflower rice pan fried with ghee, red pepper, shallot, garlic, ginger and carrot.

Dinner: Steak & attempted roasted cauliflower that was previously frozen…. Too much moisture in the florets. It was gross. The steak was good though.

Day 20 January 20, 2018 – Saturday – Fly to Memphis 6:45 am

Breakfast: Cut fruit purchased from the grocery store, two hard boiled eggs and an orange at the American Airline Admiral lounge along with a cuff of english breakfast tea. Had a glass of seltzer on the 1st flight. A glass of fruit infused water at the next Admiral Lounge in Charlotte.

I spent most of the day at the Civil Rights Museum. It was an intense experience and a long day on my feet.

Early Dinner: Central BBQ Memphis. I had contacted them in advance to learn what stuff wasn’t marinated in a sugar/soy concoction. I had a half chicken and a side salad without cheese or dressing and unsweet tea. My travel companion had a three meat plate with baked beans and coleslaw. I was happy for him and happy that I got to enjoy the smell! Was also jealous, but not tempted.

Turned in early. Sore feet and back.

Day 21 January 21, 2018 – Sunday – Church, Lunch, Graceland drive by and then back to the Airport

Before Church: I ate a package of carrots, almond butter, banana and orange in my hotel room.

Church, breakfast hour before and after Coffee hour: Black coffee. I made my travel companion eat a fudge brownie and cinnamon biscuit for me. He happily obliged.

Lunch: at restaurant not of my choosing (I should have warned the friend we were visiting that I am on whole 30…. My bad!) I had two eggs and restaurant made sage sausage (all very small portions… not happy about that) and a side of fresh fruit. The fruit was all stone fruit and very sweet. It made me paranoid about them possibly adding a sugar syrup to it, but I couldn’t tell for sure but based on the texture I think not. It was already a substitute for cheese grits and a biscuit (the brought the biscuit out anyway, which my companion happily took) so I felt really awkward. There were no plain salad options (WHYYYYYYYY????) I hate eating out on Whole 30 but sometimes you have to make the best of it.

Late afternoon at the Memphis ariport: Epic Turkey meat stick. I did not like the texture and the almonds where too big compared to the meat puree. Seltzer on the plane.

Dinner at the Charlotte Admiral Lounge: An Epic Beef meat stick which I decided I didn’t like the texture of either, a handful of olives, carrots, cherry tomatoes, an orange, a packet of almond butter and unsweetened tea with lemon. Seltzer on the plane.

Got home at 12:06am Monday.

Day 22 January 22, 2018 – Monday

Update: I still have lower back pain.  Feeling stressed and dizzy (my period started in the evening). Made a chiropractic appointment for Wednesday at 1 pm near my office.

Breakfast: Iced cold brew, 3 egg omelet with spinach, mushrooms, onion.

Lunch: I didn’t really have any appetite but I ate anyway: Hale & Hearty salad - mixed greens, grilled chicken, walnuts, beets, olives, carrots, cucumbers, red onions, tomatos, hale & hearty Italian vinaigrette dressing (the only one with complaint ingredients). Seltzer

Dinner: Feeling very low energy and emotional and still no appetite so I kept it very simple. I baked three sweet potatoes, ate one with salt, pepper, garlic powder and a single chicken apple sausage.

Hi Wzrdreams,

It seems we are about the same in calorie intake. I am definitely not eating enough calories for my active life.  My daughter told me to get an app to help with my food intake. It was crazy, I actually needed to eat 700 more calories, and that was to lose weight, not maintain.  I just do not feel hungry, and almost can't eat another thing. 

I see that you have a great salad for lunch. It reminded me about eating beets! I love them.

I am glad you made an appointment for the Chiro. Good luck with that.  My daughter and I turned on the TV and did some beginners Yoga. It was harder than I thought it would be.

Take care! Feel better!

Archived