Embarking on the Whole30: Mind Over Matter?

MelissaLayne

I'm sure this notion is nothing new but, I'm scared. Probably of failure / quitting / slipping / etc. The two thoughts in my head, at this moment;

1. I want to do this, badly.
  2. I don't know if I can do this.

I'm all about honesty, so I am putting that out there.

My reasons for wanting this.

1. Lose weight
  2. Feel better; emotionally & physically
  3. Victory over my thyroid*
    • *I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (diagnosed in 2nd grade)

And, why I'm not sure I can...

1. I love to eat. Not over eat, but I enjoy all types of food.
  2. Going it alone. My husband doesn't want to go "all in."
  3. My own will power, or lack of.
  4. Am I not organized enough for this?
  5. Do I have the time to plan everything ahead?

If I have these thoughts that I might not be able to do it, does it mean I don't want it badly enough? or am I not ready, yet?

Perhaps there aren't any right answers to this post, but I imagine I'm not the only one who feels like this...

Welcome MelissaLayne! What you have posted mirrors many of the posts of those who are embarking on their first Whole30 after many years of unhealthy eating. You'll find a lot of love on this forum - tough love, but love and support nonetheless. Let me start by saying that yes you can do this - and you will. Your reasons why you think you can't are nothing you can't overcome. You love to eat - great! Because you get to eat a LOT of wonderful foods - foods that you probably forgot about because you were filling your plate with less-than-healthy options before. This is not a deprivation plan - quite the opposite. Many people are surprised at just how easy it is to feel full when you are enjoying the foods your body really wants. Next - you are going it alone. Nothing you can't handle, and nothing unusual. Many people who have posted on here have/had the same issues. Just fill your fridge and pantry with compliant foods and let your husband know that you'd be happy to fix him a delicious meal if he'd like to be a part of your journey to get healthy, but if not, he can make his own meal. I think he'll see all the great choices you have available and just might rethink his decision :). Either way, don't let his resistance discourage you. Get YOU healthy first and rest will fall into place. We all lack willpower, but you'll have to decide if this is what you want and then DO IT. Fill your belly with plenty of good food and you'll be surprised how easy the process becomes. It will be hard at first, trust me, but it DOES get easier. And you'll be so psyched by the changes you see happening that you won't need to rely on your willpower anymore. As far as your organizational or time constraints, I'd suggest that you read It Starts With Food if you haven't already and check out the resources section of this site. Read through some of the forums as well. All that information will seem overwhelming at first, but it will help a lot in the long run. Arm yourself with the do's and don'ts and the overall specifics of the plan before you start so you can better your chances of having a successful Whole30. It does take some work in the beginning, but the planning and all of that gets easier as you go on as well. Just because you're having doubts doesn't mean you don't want this, it's just your body feeling the fear and that's okay. Educate yourself, get some good food in your house, and get ready for the best ride of your life. You can do this - we all believe in you - even if YOU don't believe yet :). Best of luck to you!

Archived