Alberta food sourcing?

Darilyn

Wondering if there is anybody on here that lives in Alberta. I live in Edmonton,Alberta and am having a hard time finding meats such as sausages, bacon that have no sugar? Anybody have any go to brands that are available for purchase in Alberta? Also-looking for any other exciting finds people of Alberta have found for whole 30 foods!

I'm in Calgary.

I haven't found bacon yet (and I'm not really a fan so not a priority for me), but Spolumbo's has some compliant sausage options - they're a Calgary company so I'm not sure if they're sold north of Red Deer. They post all the ingredients for each type they make on their website (https://spolumbos.com/sausage/) and they product is sold at most grocery stores. Spicy Chicken and Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper are my faves (I am not a huge fan of pork but I do enjoy their pork sausages too if the mood strikes). I had baked spicy chicken sausage with potatoes, red peppers and onions for dinner on Monday with leftovers for breakfast on Tuesday. Yum.

In Calgary we have Community Natural Foods, which has a lot of options for grass fed beef etc., and there's also a number of farms that sell at the Calgary Farmer's Market and Crossroads Markets. I would assume that Edmonton also has places like that? I also, surprisingly, found a number of things like compliant mayo and coconut aminos at Safeway/Sobeys (but I made my own mayo rather than buy it).

Edit to Add: Check out if there's a Blush Lane Organic Market near you - they carry lots of local meats etc. at the location near where I live, so I'm assuming it would be the same up there.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 8:26 PM, Darilyn said:

Wondering if there is anybody on here that lives in Alberta. I live in Edmonton,Alberta and am having a hard time finding meats such as sausages, bacon that have no sugar? Anybody have any go to brands that are available for purchase in Alberta? Also-looking for any other exciting finds people of Alberta have found for whole 30 foods!

I just found this during a Canada search! Not sure if you're still doing Whole30, but naturamarket.ca is amazing! Free shipping over $49, it has changed the way I Whole30. Also, Kirkland brand low sodium bacon at Costco is compliant. It's not humanely raised, but with my husband going back to school we really can't swing humanely sourced meats while I'm on a Whole30 :( 

• 2 months later...

Archived