Hey, all. My name is Breanna. I've been around the whole30 community for a few months, and I have attempted numerous times to complete one, but I always seem to get in my own way. I hit the 2 week point when I start feeling better, and then something happens. Anyway, I'm trying my best not to make any excuses anymore. :)

I am already aware that I have pretty wicked intolerances to a variety of foods, including dairy, wheat, rice, soy/peanuts, other legumes, etc, and a whole30 approach is really what's best for me. I also put weight on like it's my job, though, so I'm always afraid of carbs, despite kicking my own ass at CrossFit 3 times a week for the past month. (I love it, though!!)

I really just want to give this an honest shot, sweet potatoes, ghee, and all. Eating a lot of fat is not a problem for me, and I love cooking, but I have very few people in my life who would even think to eat this way. I just have to be my own person, I guess. What I want most out of this is to change my relationship with food. I would also like to lose weight (who wouldn't?), but my recent foray into CrossFit is teaching me to appreciate strong, curvy women who come in all shapes and sizes, but are still badass to the bone. I can run with the boys, and my thick legs take me there. Still, I want to be the best that I can be. I train way too hard to not support that training with the best food and habits possible, so I can live the best life possible.

So here's to day 1! I spontaneously decided to do it yesterday while at crossfit workout. Hey, maybe I can even get a few friends to jump on the wagon with me. :)

Cheers, fellow beginners! Let's support each other through this!

It occurs to me after posting this and reading posts by others, that I have another concrete reason to do the whole30, which is perhaps more motivating than any I have mentioned thusfar.

If any fellow Whole30ers are familiar with Jessica O. ( http://whole9life.com/2011/09/whole30-success-story-jessica-o/ ), I share an ailment with her: Trichotillomania. It is a compulsive urge to pull out one's hair. It is extremely embarrassing, but nigh uncontrollable. It's been linked in with OCD, but it's dissimilar in many ways as well. I have had TTM since I was about 10 years old; I'm 25 now. Some days are good; some days are bad. It's telling that I didn't even think to mention it originally. I've simply learned to live with it and accept the fact that my hair will never be as thick and gorgeous as it used to be.

I had forgotten about Jessica's story, despite its resonance with me. I had pretty much given up hope in this area of my life. It's a point of great stress and emotional pain in my life, but I stopped fighting it. It was just too exhausting.

I now have a quiet resolve that was lacking even an hour ago. This is my secret (now public) hope: that real food can both heal me and heal the pain that 15 years of uncontrollable anguish has caused.

If you haven't read Jessica's story, I encourage you to. It is remarkable. She is remarkable. She gives me hope. So do you all.

Thanks for your post Breanna! Very inspiring and I commend you for sharing something personal to you. What a great attitude you have, and one that will surely culminate success. I look forward to hearing about your journey.....

Hey Breanna..

Congrats on getting started!!

I too have been doing Crossfit but wasn't pairing it with the right food. So the results were obviously not what I wanted. Looking forward to the Whole30 & Crossfit getting me into shape and feeling better.

Hopefully you get people to join you, and if not you have us all here! :)

Good Luck & keep us posted! :D

hey Breanna,

good luck with the whole30! i haven't started the whole30 yet, but am preparing to start june 1st. i thought it sounded good since june already has 30 days. ;-) and it gives me some time to get prepared, both mentally and planning wise. i've been reading, doing research, and trying to get some recipes in order, so that i will be able to stick to it. i don't like to cook...but i'm working on it.

i saw that you are in oklahoma, so am i. i live in okc and crossfit at 405. what about you?

Francesca, I'm at 405 too!! I love it. I just finished On Ramp last week, and went to the WODs on Mon and Wed with Daniel and Aaron respectively. I'll be going on Friday at 4:30 too. When do you go normally? I wonder if we've met? :)

I recommend Well Fed if you haven't gotten it already. I have the ebook, and it has soooo many tasty recipes. You can of course get a bajillion free recipes on chowstalker and the like. Found any favorites yet?

Breanna!! that's awesome. i don't think that we've met yet but i am sure that we will soon. i usually go in the mornings, but have been a bit off schedule lately. hoping that after the holiday weekend to get back on track.

are you going to the "girl on girl" WOD tonight? we do it once a month with all the area crossfits. it's just for girls and we usually do a "girl" WOD. tonight's is at crossfit exile in moore at 7pm. a few people are meeting at 405 at 6:30 to carpool, if you're interested.

i downloaded well fed onto my kindle yesterday and i read their free 30-page excerpt this morning and am looking forward to reading up on all the recipes.

Francesca,

haha! I was just about to ask you about the GoG. I want to go, but I did Fran yesterday and my muscles are pretty whipped. With plans to go on Friday, I'm not sure I could handle another WOD today. I could probably be peer pressured into it, though... Gena invited me on facebook, and I looked up the exercises. It looks beastly, which I LOVE, but daaaang girl. The can carry looks ridic.

well, i'm probably not working out if i go, so you can totally do that too. there are usually a group of girls who don't work out for a variety of different reasons. it's still alot of fun to meet girls from all the other crossfits. hope to see ya there!

Archived