Bart's Whole 30 Log

bart

This is my first Whole30, though I've tried to eat mostly Paleoish in the past. I actually started yesterday, but forgot to start the log. Looking to help drop my A1C levels to get out of the near-pre-diabetic rating. If I lose some weight too, even better, but mostly trying to be a bit more serious about cutting out the processed foods.

That said, meals on Day 1:

B - Veggie/Beef bar, black coffee - normally try to eat more, but had to run out the door.

L - Double-double protein style, no cheese, no sauce, grilled onions and tomato; iced tea.

S - SeaSnax regular (seaweed treat)

D - Leftover Chicken Cacciatore from Whole30 book/leftover Cold Thai salad w/Sunshine sauce.

Meals on Day 1:

B - Veggie/Beef bar, black coffee - normally try to eat more, but had to run out the door.

L - Double-double protein style, no cheese, no sauce, grilled onions and tomato; iced tea.

S - SeaSnax regular (seaweed treat)

D - Leftover Chicken Cacciatore from Whole30 book/leftover Cold Thai salad w/Sunshine sauce.

Day 2 Meals:

B - 2 Egg scramble with: sauteed onion, mushrooms, and red bell pepper (ghee), with hamburger, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes; coffee.

L - Leftover chicken cacciatore and roasted asparagus; water and coffee.

D - Making a few meals for the week, so sampled off these: 1 chicken apple sausage (Aidells), 1 portion of "Nomnompaleo crispy swoodles w/bacon (no sugar, uncured); 1 bowl of curried cauliflower soup (again from the Nomnom paleo online cookbook). All were pretty tasty - I recommend her recipes, but not all are Whole30 compliant - have to read the recipes and/or remove an item (usually honey). Water.

Day 3 Meals:

B - 2 fried eggs (ghee), 1/2 small avocado, chicken/apple sausage; blueberries; coffee and water

L - Chicken salad (Trader Joe's just chicken w/homemade paleo mayo, 1/4 apple diced, handful sliced almonds, lemon pepper/Penzey's Mural of Flavor spices). Sweet potato with a little ghee (Instant Pot that morning, reheated). 2 clementines. Water (regular and a La Croix Lime).

D - (pre snack: SeaSnax original flavor) Top Sirloin seared in avocado oil, roasted asparagus (EVOO), sauteed swiss chard (ghee/EVOO) with garlic and red pepper flakes. 1 Pear. Water.

E - Mint (herbal) tea

Felt fine most of the day, though a little tired in the afternoon.

Day 4 Meals:

M1 - 2 fried eggs (ghee), leftover "crispy swoodle" (sweet potato, carrot, onion, compliant bacon); coffee

M2 - banana/blueberries; Nomnom Paleo Curried Cauliflower Soup; Chicken and Apple Sausage; SeaSnax - regular; olives.

M3 - Pan seared (tallow) chicken w/berbere spice (Spicehound); steamed broccoli w/black pepper and lemon juice; steamed sweet potato with black pepper.

E - Blackberry/Razzberry Infusion (tea)

Day 5 Meals: 

M1 - 4 egg olive, red bell pepper, onion, and bacon omelette (ghee) with 1/2 an avocado. Coffee. *After re-reading parts of It Starts With Food, realized I needed the vegetarian omelette would require more eggs to keep the protein up.

M2 - Homemade paleo may mixed with canned sockeye salmon, capers, Penzey's "Mural of Flavor" spices with black pepper. Curried cauliflower soup; Asian pear. Coffee.

M3 - Leftover (2nd from a two-pack) top sirloin seared in avocado oil; steamed beets; grilled spring onions (olive oil). Herbal tea.

NSV:

Last night realized that I didn't have the usual swelling in my lower legs and feet at the end of the night. I suspect the greatly reduced salt intake over the past week and a half (practiced 5/6 days before I officially started) is starting to have a positive effect. Hopefully, it is having the same effect on my blood pressure. So far it's been a little fun looking for new recipes and trying new things out. Also helping ensure I actually use all the fruits and veggies I have delivered from Farm Fresh to You (never would've thought I'd be eating onions all by themselves as one of my sides...and enjoying them!) Trying out Butcher Box meats as well as Crowd Cow, so looking forward to seeing the difference in the taste of these meats from the "normal" store bought stuff.

While I haven't posted, I have been keeping up a journal elsewhere. Catching up on my meals: 

Day 6

M1 - Cold curried broccoli soup, 2 fried eggs (ghee), Aidell's chicken & apple sausage, 1 small sage sausage, coffee (Using up leftovers)

M2 - Berbere chicken breast, pickled beets (nomnompaleo), spicy dill pickles, 1/2 avocado; orange/mango sparkling water

M3 - Nomnom paleo Kalua pig (with cabbage); warm spinach & pear salad

S - Blueberries, SeaSnax Jalapeno; Activated Seeds - Jalapeno (less than 1/4 cup)

Decaff Tea at night

Day 7 (3/3/18)

M1 - 3 egg scramble: mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, spinach cooked in ghee. 1/2 avocado, 1/4 cup blueberries. Coffee

M2 - Leftover Kalua pig (w/cabbage), pickled beets

M3 - nomnompaleo "Fiona's Green Chicken" (chicken drumsticks - 3); Roasted golden potato (olive oil & salt); curried broccoli soup

S - CB's Seeds - Pumpkin Seeds, Umami flavor

D8 (3/4/18)

M1 - Cold curried broccoli soup, 2 fried eggs (ghee), Kalua Pig, coffee

M2 - Cocobury Coconut jerky, fresh fruit cup, CB's pumpkin seeds, Wild Zora Beef & Veggie bar [At early hockey game, brought the snacks and bought the fresh fruit]

M3 - Leftover green chicken, beets, potatoes

Day 9 (3/5/18)

M1 - Coffee, 2 fried eggs (ghee), Kalua pig, 1/2 avocado, mixed blueberries/banana

M2 - Epic Venison bar [ Had a very late breakfast/brunch, so ate the bar when I got home from shopping to tide me over until I finished cooking dinner - know it's not enough typically]

M3 - Nomnompaleo chicken chow mein (2 servings): chicken thighs, spinach, mushrooms, onions, sweet potatoes

Day 10 (3/6/18)

M1 - Coffee, 1 egg (ghee), leftover chicken chow mein

M2 - Blackberries/blueberries, red grapes, Real Plans chicken Sonoma (1.5 servings), water

M3 - .5 serving Chicken Sonoma, DNX Sweet potato pecan bar; fresh fruit (melons, pineapple, grapes); celery, carrot, and cucumber sticks (ignored the hummus cup that came with this) [Evening hockey game - had the chicken before we left at 5:15 pm, ate the rest during the intermissions; still working on my hockey night protocol - miss my beer at the game - water only]

* When got home, had 2 eggs scramble (ghee) with crimini mushrooms and onion, 2 slices Pederson's no sugar bacon.

Day 11 (3/7/18)

M1 - Kalua Pig (1/2 normal serving), 1 egg (fried, ghee), Coffee

M2 - leftover chicken chow mein* (see above for ingredients), fresh blueberries/blackberries, 1/2 avocado

S - 5 pm ( Nick's Sticks -beef, while still at work, didn't get home to prepare dinner until after 6:30 pm)

M3 - Real Plans Super meatloaf (1 serving) and also RP Seared Bok Choy (2 portions), 1/4 cup red grapes

Tea

Had a dull headache for most of the last three days. Overall, other than the day I forgot to eat in a timely fashion and missed lunch, so far can't say I've ever been hungry. Some mornings (like today) I've had to make myself eat something. I wasn't very good about consistently eating breakfast each morning before starting the plan; it's still an adjustment. Working on making sure the amount of food eaten is appropriate, trying to slow down more so I recognize when I'm full a bit sooner. Have yet to actually "stuff" myself to the point I felt like I'd eaten too much, just feel full, which I think is what I'm shooting for each meal.

Archived