College Student doing January Whole30

Nathan McWhirter

Hi everyone,

My name is Nathan McWhirter. I'm 18 years old, a freshman at Auburn University in Auburn, AL. I started my first Whole30 today, January 1, 2013. I have been eating "paleo" for the past five months or so (avoiding all grains and most sugars while eating lots of meat/protein, vegetables, and fruits) and the Whole30 is a challenge I'm looking forward to. Weight loss is not my goal (in fact, I'm underweight). I'm just seeking to live a healthy lifestyle and give my body the foods that make me more healthy, as outlined in It Starts With Food. l am hoping to see a positive difference in my health by following the strict rules of the Whole30 program.

One of my biggest goals during my Whole30 is to emphasize pastured, organic, grass-fed, and wild-caught meats, eggs, and seafood. I want to avoid factory-farmed meat as much as possible (It's hard when you're in college!) My other biggest goal is to eat according to the It Starts With Food meal planning template (http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf) and the many helpful PDF guides provided on this website.

I'll try to post regularly about my progress and/or the food I'm eating every day.

Here's what I've been eating so far:

Day 1: Tuesday 1/1/13

Breakfast: Three fried eggs, salmon, red bell peppers, chicken, pork, half avocado, blueberries, grapes, strawberries, raspberries.

Lunch: Salad (steak, beet greens, lettuce, red bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, celery, olives, walnuts, citrus vinaigrette), slice of ham, cup of green tea.

Dinner: Veggie sticks (celery, bell pepper, carrot, cucumber) w/guacamole, chicken fajitas (peppers, onions, lettuce, pico de gallo, salsa).

Dessert: Strawberries & grapes

Day 2: Wednesday 1/2/13

Breakfast: Two fried eggs w/salsa, salmon, ham, green beans (w/mushrooms & almonds), strawberries & grapes.

Lunch: mixed nuts (pistachios, macadamias, almonds, walnuts), cup of tea.

Dinner: Two fried eggs (w/shredded carrots & onions) carrots, black olives, an orange, mashed banana w/almond meal.

I'm on Christmas break and with my family, so I don't have complete control of the menu, but I'm doing the best I can with what I have. I occasionally get some cravings for sweets but I just eat fruit instead. Trying to depend less on fruits and nuts, and aiming to get more good-quality protein and veggies.

Archived